Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

Can't get my Verus to connect to my Wi-Fi

Well I got it home on Friday after spending 1/2 the day getting everything registered. My Snap-On dealer's computer kept crashing, and getting the financing and all in order was a real PITA. He was unable to register my Euro because it got so dang late. But he will be back in Monday.

Anyways, I can't get this to hook up to my personal AT&T Hotspot on my Wireless router at the house. I keep getting "This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able top access...) I have ShopKey5 so this is terribly important to me.

My Verus does see both wi-fi devices. Whenever I try to hook up to my Elevate (AT&T Hotspot) I see my Verus, but I don't see it's name, and instead of seeing an established IP (192-168-1-2 for example) I see 0-0-0-0. It shows 3 devices on it, which is correct, My Android Phone, My laptop so I can access my ssid and WPA Key), and a third unnamed device, with a MAC address. Yes, all my settings are allowing widows to automatically configure, and yes, my WPA is set up correctly.

Anyone had issues getting set up?

Oh yeah, I can hook up via Ethernet to my home router.
  • TurboJim
    • Jan 2007

Make sure you're using the right encryption, WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc. Thats usually MY problem. Mine at the shop connected no problem. I have access throughout the shop and most of the parking lot. Great for wiring diagrams without walking back and forth to the shop computer all the time.
    Jim Testa
    Senior Technician
    JD Automotive & Truck Inc
    Dover, NJ

Comment

• sandt38
      • May 2012

Originally posted by TurboJim
      Make sure you're using the right encryption, WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc. Thats usually MY problem. Mine at the shop connected no problem. I have access throughout the shop and most of the parking lot. Great for wiring diagrams without walking back and forth to the shop computer all the time.
      Yeah, I am. WPA2. It is just not receiving an IP, it seems. I have even done command prompt ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew. I never seem to get a new IP though...

Comment

• Earl Davis
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by sandt38
        Well I got it home on Friday after spending 1/2 the day getting everything registered. My Snap-On dealer's computer kept crashing, and getting the financing and all in order was a real PITA. He was unable to register my Euro because it got so dang late. But he will be back in Monday.

Anyways, I can't get this to hook up to my personal AT&T Hotspot on my Wireless router at the house. I keep getting "This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able top access...) I have ShopKey5 so this is terribly important to me.

My Verus does see both wi-fi devices. Whenever I try to hook up to my Elevate (AT&T Hotspot) I see my Verus, but I don't see it's name, and instead of seeing an established IP (192-168-1-2 for example) I see 0-0-0-0. It shows 3 devices on it, which is correct, My Android Phone, My laptop so I can access my ssid and WPA Key), and a third unnamed device, with a MAC address. Yes, all my settings are allowing widows to automatically configure, and yes, my WPA is set up correctly.

Anyone had issues getting set up?

Oh yeah, I can hook up via Ethernet to my home router.
        I have the same problem with my Verus. Tech support told me it was my wireless hotspot that was the problem, but the Verus is the only thing that will not connect. I bought a usb wireless device and plugged it into the Verus and it works fine. So all I can suggest is the internal wireless card on the Verus is causing the issue.

I have no problem connecting to my home network with the internal wireless device on the Verus.

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Earl Davis
          I have the same problem with my Verus. Tech support told me it was my wireless hotspot that was the problem, but the Verus is the only thing that will not connect. I bought a usb wireless device and plugged it into the Verus and it works fine. So all I can suggest is the internal wireless card on the Verus is causing the issue.

I have no problem connecting to my home network with the internal wireless device on the Verus.
          I can't hook up wirelessly to anything. Not my hotspot, my home wireless, or my friend's wireless when I was over there this weekend fixing his car. It connects via ethernet cable, but never wirelessly.

I will be aggravated if I have to buy a USB wireless device... seriously. For 11 grand this thing should at least connect to a hotspot.

Comment

• protraxrptr17
            • Aug 2010

Mine will not connect to my Verizon hotspot either. Pain in the butt because I have to carry my laptop when I go out on a road call. It works with my wireless router at the shop just fine.

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

My Snap-On dealer came by the shop to finish activating my Euro. He said that they do have issues with hotspots, and did confirm that Earl is indeed right, and I should get a dongle.

Disappointing IMO, but really a small thing.

Comment

• sandt38
                • May 2012

Just an update... I finally managed to get to my local Best Buy yesterday and bought a USB Wi-Fi dongle. My Verus connected just as sweet as you please.

Comment

• EBI Webmaster
                  Administrator
                  • Sep 2006

Verizon Hot Spot

These settings should work for most Verus units.
                  You may also require the WPA2 update, from Microsoft if you have an older unit. (WinXP SP2)
                  And I will add that these settings below, have been proven to work, on several Verus's I have in the office.

Verizon.jpg

We have been experimenting with the Verizon Hot Spots, and these setting seem stable.
                  Hope this helps.
                  http://askatech.snapon.com

Comment

• EBI Webmaster
                    Administrator
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sandt38
                    I have been trying to get my hands on an ATT Hotspot, so we can work out compatible settings for the Verus, but havent found one yet. I have discovered though that on the Verizon, if you back off the connection type of the HotSpot to WPA Personal, you can get a stable connection.
                    http://askatech.snapon.com

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by EBI Webmaster
                      I have been trying to get my hands on an ATT Hotspot, so we can work out compatible settings for the Verus, but havent found one yet. I have discovered though that on the Verizon, if you back off the connection type of the HotSpot to WPA Personal, you can get a stable connection.
                      I will try those settings. FWIW the hotspot I am using is an AT&T based Sierra Wireless Elevate. It also would not connect to my S-O dealers Verizon hotspot. My Windows version is SP3... the unit is wireless and just 3 weeks old.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

OK folks here is the deal. XP embedded does not have naitive support for WPA2 security. I have posted on this before, there is a patch from Microsoft that will update your wireless device to allow connections to a WPA2 network. Here are the details:

And here is the patch: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=1974
                        It would be nice if Snappy would put this link here: http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/cc
                        and informed the Customer care reps of this patch.

Snapon needs to reconsider their stance on blaming WiFi hardware, when it is the XPe (with out SP3, or this single patch) platform that is the issue. I had to figure all this out when our shop purchased a new wireless router, as the old router only had WPA, and I could not connect to the new one.
                        Last edited by sbreland73; 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM.
                        S. Breland

Comment

• protraxrptr17
                          • Aug 2010

Can you give us a step by step on that?

Comment

• sandt38
                            • May 2012

I have SP3, but it didn't link. I will look into this patch, however, when I get home tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• sandt38
                              • May 2012

Meh, wouldn't let me load the patch because I have SP3. I am going to play with the profile as suggested.

Comment

Working...