Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > US Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM

monzanick Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default MSD ignition and timing lights

So I just put a msd 6al on my toy car for the upcomming summer. It popped right off and ran good right away. I went to check the timing , then I remembered reading the directions for the msd box, it says NOT to use digital timing lights. I have 2 older snappy timing lights, one, plane jane MT1221 and one MT1261A. On any vehicle I've always used the 1261a cuz it tells me the rpm and advance numbers on the back of the light.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I Put the plane/jane light on and my timing is on the tab but I feel like my arm is cut off without the display on the back telling me what my advance is .....
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM

diesel71 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzanick View Post
So I just put a msd 6al on my toy car for the upcomming summer. It popped right off and ran good right away. I went to check the timing , then I remembered reading the directions for the msd box, it says NOT to use digital timing lights. I have 2 older snappy timing lights, one, plane jane MT1221 and one MT1261A. On any vehicle I've always used the 1261a cuz it tells me the rpm and advance numbers on the back of the light.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I Put the plane/jane light on and my timing is on the tab but I feel like my arm is cut off without the display on the back telling me what my advance is .....
the digital timing lights will show a biased reading because of the multiple discharges from the msd. it is trying to read one discharge signal and seeing several,this causes a biased reading. your plane/jane light will set the timing fine. if you need to know your advance there should be numbers on the timing tab or balancer. if you don't have any advanced numbers there is a timing tap you can stick to the balancer to help set/read your advanced timing.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 PM

monzanick Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thanks for the reply. I set the base timing and I am waitin' fer a buddy ta bring by his old dial type light. The timing tab is obscured by the belt brackets so you can only really see 0 degrees +/- 2 degrees. I'll get it sooner or later.

Btw if ya hook up a digital, the Display goes all wonky and counts up quickly.I unplugged it quickly, I didn't want the self destruct to enguage.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Lthiten Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I apologize for bumping this old thread...just my exp...

All this info really confused me for awhile. I had no idea purchasing a replacement timing light would be so involved educationally! Thanks each and every one of you for putting the seperate spin (viewpoint) out there. Maybe it would be best for me to purchase two guns: another basic and one with a 'set back feature'. That way I'm covered from the 8N tractor, all the way up to the 88 Camaro.

I'll skip anything Craftsman though. It seems that all their tools have taken a nose dive off the dependability cliff these past couple of years. I've seen their television commercials offering to 'Price-Match' any of the Big Box Stores on lots of different power and/or Garden tools. My grandpa always raised me to pay a bit more $$ for a Craftsman Tool, because I'd be buying a Lifetime 'Investment'; not some Chinese Box Store throwaway that they won't even warrenty or carry parts for now.

So it looks like I should research the Matco/Innova/Snapon/Ferret for the Top End unit and just get a replacement cord for my old unit to work as the Basic Laborer Instrument?

All the best, https://mechanicguides.com/best-timi...-msd-ignition/

Last edited by Lthiten; 11-05-2018 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: Removed links to purchase other make tools