Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > SureTrack User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Wink re soaker hose

Guess That's also goes to show why you should never trust free World War II era condoms for family planning.(or any Yo Daddy gives ya)

Last edited by Witsend; 11-08-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

One more before I call it quits for the night. A 2011 BMW 328i with a starter that spins but won't engage. I gotta see this. Remove the plenum to access and remove starter. Test the starter with a jump pack. Sure enough the gear spins but doesn't slide out on the shaft. Disassemble starter and the gear is froze (rusted) on the shaft. An internet search shows this to be a common BMW problem. It seems that the Ultimate Driving Machine is really just the Ultimate Parked Machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter_drive_assembly_70.jpg (151.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg starter_gear_70.jpg (147.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

It worked !!! Had a 2013 Cadillac SRX with a broken touch screen or Cue screen as some call it. The whole assembly is quite pricey so I gambled on buying just the screen from Amazon for about a hundred bucks. After removing the control assembly, remove the trim pieces and the storage compartment from it. Then it's just 6 or 7 screws to hold the screen on and one ribbon cable to unplug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio_in_pieces_70.jpg (142.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg broken_screen_70 (1).jpg (145.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg it_works_70.jpg (110.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Had one that threw me a bit this week. A 2012 Toyota Venza that would act like it was in reduced power mode. When I first looked at the Accelerator data i could see that the throttle angle was not matching up too well with the input from the accelerator pedal. A closer look and I could see that the Air Fuel sensor was showing a pegged lean condition under acceleration. The only code I was getting was a misfire on cylinder one. After verifying that all was well mechanically and spark wise on the cylinder I started going after a fuel problem. First to check the pressure, good at about 50 psi and steady under load. I happened to drain off some fuel in a container and got the first clue, cloudy looking gas. Let some settle in the cup and it was about 10% water. Drain the tank and run some good gas through the lines and we have full power again. Now the throttle angle more closely matches the input from the pedal. The only thing that I can think is that the ECM sees the lean condition and starts to limit throttle angle. It almost felt like driving a vehicle with a plugged cat. It never misses or stumbles or surges, it just won't go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venza_with_bad_gas_70.jpg (198.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg toyota_venza_under_good_acceleration_70.jpg (175.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg water_line_70.jpg (151.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
Had one that threw me a bit this week. A 2012 Toyota Venza that would act like it was in reduced power mode. When I first looked at the Accelerator data i could see that the throttle angle was not matching up too well with the input from the accelerator pedal. A closer look and I could see that the Air Fuel sensor was showing a pegged lean condition under acceleration. The only code I was getting was a misfire on cylinder one. After verifying that all was well mechanically and spark wise on the cylinder I started going after a fuel problem. First to check the pressure, good at about 50 psi and steady under load. I happened to drain off some fuel in a container and got the first clue, cloudy looking gas. Let some settle in the cup and it was about 10% water. Drain the tank and run some good gas through the lines and we have full power again. Now the throttle angle more closely matches the input from the pedal. The only thing that I can think is that the ECM sees the lean condition and starts to limit throttle angle. It almost felt like driving a vehicle with a plugged cat. It never misses or stumbles or surges, it just won't go.
Good work Bob.
Back to basics & fundamentals again.
The fuel quality has always been an issue, even since the days of Carburetors & points & mechanical fuel pumps.
Many years ago, it was so funny, the mechanical fuel pump had frozen overnight and instead of looking at the mechanical fuel pump, what was seen was a basketball size glob of ICE encasing the pump.
Testing the fuel pressure physically, then taking a sample (since you're already there-!!), then using your HUMAN SENSES and SEEING the condition of the fuel, and not relying entirely on the electronic digital data presented.... kinda makes things simple, doesn't it?
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Same thing with your post about the starter drive rusted. Fundamental once you get there.
I just expect good work from you-!!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 PM

If you are interested, the WEBER AUTO youtube channel has been running a series of videos dissecting and explaining the drivetrain and electrical components of a 2017 Chevy BOLT. The videos are informative and professionally done as well as very detailed. Weber Auto is Weber State University. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtr...sUwVJjL8Kw_q5A
Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Thumbs up Nice Find Bob

Quote:
If you are interested, the WEBER AUTO youtube channel has been running a series of videos dissecting and explaining the drivetrain and electrical components of a 2017 Chevy BOLT. The videos are informative and professionally done as well as very detailed. Weber Auto is Weber State University. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtr...sUwVJjL8Kw_q5A
12-08-2018 06:53 PM
I watched one about the CVT transmission belt construction so far