Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > US Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I like to keep a roll of ribbon sealer in the shop . I like to Use a small spec on end of a Phillips or torx headed screw driver to hold the fastener stuck to the end of the screw drivers or even occasionally sockets when having to go into tight areas. A little bit goes a long way, stretch into longer narrower widths, seals air gaps, water leaks, sticks thinks together , stops rattles of loose bezzles, etc, etc .
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3...8612/7100000-P
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 PM

ratchetman Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I love this thread. Mostly stuff I've tried a time or more. But will I remember those tricks at the right time? lol
Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Here is a handy thing to keep in your box of electrical accessories, breadboard jumper wires. I use them for finding faults in data buses by pin pointing one module at a time and checking the wave form for each module as it is added to the network. I also use them when I need to by pass a CAN module by unplugging the module and putting the wires across the CAN terminals when the modules are wired in series. You can also use them for find open circuits. If you need to check the resistance in, say an evap vent solenoid circuit or any actuator, rather than running 10 feet of jumper wire just unplug the solenoid and put one of these bread board wires across the harness end and check the resistance (or put a small load on the wires) of the circuit from the controller end. The ends of the bread board wires are small enough that they won't damage the female terminals of most harnesses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BREAD_BOARD_WIRES_1_80.jpg (157.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg JUMPER_WIRES_80.jpg (129.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:04 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Good ideas Bob. Your hands look like they've "seen" a lot. There is knowledge in those "dirty hands"-!!! That is REAL WORLD knowledge. That is something that makes engineers' eyes glaze over-!! LMAO-!!

Another idea is, lots of things such as oxygen sensors and wheel speed sensors get changed out. (just two examples). Cut off and save the pigtails from the old components. Now you have a matching connector to the vehicle harness and you can easily test the vehicle harness before the trigger gets pulled for a new component.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Another idea is, lots of things such as oxygen sensors and wheel speed sensors get changed out. (just two examples). Cut off and save the pigtails from the old components. Now you have a matching connector to the vehicle harness and you can easily test the vehicle harness before the trigger gets pulled for a new component.
Great idea. I also make occasional trips to the junk yard where I collect the other ends of those connectors off the harnesses.

Joe
Old 01-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rappa View Post
Great idea. I also make occasional trips to the junk yard where I collect the other ends of those connectors off the harnesses.

Joe
Good idea Joe.
Years ago my mentor would save every old harness taken out of a vehicle (so do I to this day). We used to do lots of insurance fire burnouts. Sometimes a harness would get replaced which then gave us lots of materials to work with on another harness. Not just the connector ends, but also the wires themselves. Much better to select a foot or two of the same guage wire WITH the existing colour coding to match so anyone working on the vehicle later wasn't faced with one colour changing to another colour then changing back to the original colour.
Some manufacturers change colour at different connectors from one end of a circuit to the other. THAT is NUTS AFAIC, especially in todays vehicles.
Maintaining colour code integrity makes things much easier later on.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Super Glue for cuts (no stitches)

If it's good enough for Doctor to hold incisions closed without stitches,then I'm sure with a little proper wound cleanup, you might be able to save yourself an unnecessary trip to the emergency room , long wait , and large bill.
I think the regular Port Cargo 3 pack of Super Glue might work , but I don't know if the Chinese stuff might contain undissolved Cyanide in the Cyanacyrillates of the glue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Skin-....3-oz/10316533

Last edited by Witsend; 01-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: not to appear as a Stuttering Ignoramous
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 PM

NikonJeb Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
This is an old one but maybe you haven't seen it yet. To improve the control you have with your flex sockets, especially when at the end of a long extension, wrap the joint with a couple rounds of black electric tape.
Along the line of that flex socket tape trick......since it's on the end of an extension, it's prolly where it's hard to reach. If you put a piece of paper towel over the bolt head and tear of the excess, you can be reasonably sure the bolt will stay in the socket 'til you get it started. Once the boltis in and tight, the bolt head sized towel bit can then be retrieved by a quick blast of an air gun to get it somewhere you can reach it to discard it.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 AM

ephratah service center Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip on jumper wires I just ordered a 100 assorted lengths from amazon for under $8
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Working by yourself ? You pull the hood lever, you hear the latch but nothing happens ? The spring won't pop it. You can't be in 2 places at the same time and pounding on the hood not a good idea ? You should try an inflater bag, like the one that comes with some break in kits. Insert the bag, give a few pumps then put the lever, works great. It also comes in handy for popping open car doors that are frozen after an ice storm or on an extremely cold morning (-20F). Better than risk breaking a door handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood_popper_80.jpg (136.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg inflater_bag_80.jpg (145.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by greasybob; 01-05-2017 at 07:31 PM..