Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > US Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Thumbs up

That's easier and quieter than an M80 ,that doesn't always work
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Since Crusty won't let me use these for pinching brake lines anymore. These hose pinchers work great for holding your timing belt in place while you're routing it around other pulleys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing_belt_holder_80.jpg (172.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg hose_pinchers_80.jpg (140.0 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by greasybob; 01-15-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Never seen those hose pinchers before, but they look pretty handy. I imagine a miniature pair of long nose vise grips set to a lighter clamping force might be quicker though.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
Since Crusty won't let me use these for pinching brake lines anymore. Thses hose pinchers work great for holding your timing belt in place while you're routing it around other pulleys.
Up here at the "chain stores" brake hoses get replaced along with everything else when you get your "lifetime warranty" brake pads replaced, for "free"....LMAO....
As long as one is aware that some hoses & lines have plastic liners that could be damaged...
That's a good idea G-Bob, holding the belt.
How about using those clamps to gently close off a fluid line or a vacuum hose...as long as there isn't a plastic liner.
Perhaps the weight of one might hold one end of an electrical wire 2 or 3 inches back from where the business of a connection repair is going on and keep the 20/22 guage wire from wiggling around...
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

When pressing one-piece bearings and hubs in and out of a knuckle, saving old bearings and using the inner or outer races as the press adaptor means you can always have the exact size that matches the part of the new race you want to put pressure on. If you push on the wrong race, or on an awkward position, the new bearing won't last long.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Midwest Rust Bucket Beaters

When you have a budget challenged customer with a beater tapped out just doing pads and rotors and it seems like a caliper piston is hard to push in and the Caliper bleeder is likely just going to snap off, and the crusty metal tube is likely seized to the tube nut, Take a step back and look at the brake hose set ups. If the brake hose is not cracked or bubbled and passes through a metal guide bracket, often rust scale is building between the metal guide bracket and brake hose and literally pinching the hose closed, Carefully spread open the brake hose guide bracket to relieve the squeeze and you can often push the piston in easy again, salvage a normal brake job,and kick the can down the road ,of doing a new brake hose, brake line , awhile longer, and just put on the list of things that may require future attention.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
Since Crusty won't let me use these for pinching brake lines anymore. These hose pinchers work great for holding your timing belt in place while you're routing it around other pulleys.
I hadn't thought of these, which would probably be a better choice, but I have seen even a wooden clothespin or one of these paperclips
https://www.amazon.com/ACCO-Binder-C...ffice-products
make a difference in installing a timing belt or even a serpentine belt. I have also used Witsend's suggestion about the visegrips - but like he says tighten them very lightly.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM

dodge90 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

nice thread you started Greasy, I'll through a tip out there. whenever I do abs tone rings or alt. on Ford Escapes instead of busting my chops with the pain to get out ball joint, I loosen up the 21mm rear bolt, take out the front 15mm bolt and use a rachet strap from the caliper to lift to hold it out of the way. can usallly change a tone ring in less than 20 min and its a one person job
Old 01-20-2017, 03:54 AM

ephratah service center Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default anchor pot

When I built my shop I put 4 of these in under each lift for pulling things like lower control arms when I do cv axles. I have chains made up to go from front to back and from corner to corner and can pull things in the center of vehicle if needed. these can be added in to existing floor if you have some one with a core drill bore holes in the existing floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anchor pot in use small.jpg (153.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg anchor pot level small.jpg (155.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Pods under the hoist ? That's pretty handy.