Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 AM

John Lansford Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Verus 325 blown charger circuit

I blew the charging circuit on my Verus Wireless EMS325 unit and need to know the type of chip I destroyed.

RV1 which I believe is a Varistor.

I know what the BG5100 chip is.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV1.jpg (347.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM

John Lansford Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Anyone know of available schematics?

Thinking varistor but not sure of voltage limits.
Does it protect oscilloscope inputs at 75-85 volts or is it power supply for oscilloscope 12 volts?

HELP !!!!

:-)))
Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I wouldn't hold my breath with getting any sort of a detailed board diagram from here. I wonder if the identifying markings would be on the underside of the burnt chip?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 AM

I removed chip and checked under microscope no markings.
Too damaged to test with equipment.
I have had this unit for 3-4 years I asked on this site because it is Snap-On site. Thought maybe a service tech might have schematics and be able to read through parts list.

Worth a try.

Thanks for your reply
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM

tech25 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

dont know what exactly is the problem, sorry, I would suggest calling Technical help and see what they can do. I attached the info if you want to read up on it,

heres a snap shot of some of the services.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verus scan module repair.jpg (190.4 KB, 69 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf snap on repair guide.pdf (334.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:57 PM

Received all my diodes and a TVS today.

After replacing the parts the charging circuit is working!
XP is working, oscilloscope working. Software all functional.
Charged battery completely, reset time (Got that call Customer Support Dialog box) and everything working again.

Thanks for the help.

Actually I fix Tektronix scopes from the 60-90's as a hobby.
But I almost always have schematics.

This unit uses all SMD parts and WOW!! are they small, all soldering done through microscope on those blown diodes.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
dont know what exactly is the problem, sorry, I would suggest calling Technical help and see what they can do. I attached the info if you want to read up on it,

heres a snap shot of some of the services.

That's a handy chart But Think he's got an older unsupported wireless model you can no longer send out for repairs called a S.O.L.VERUS

Quote:
fter replacing the parts the charging circuit is working!
XP is working, oscilloscope working. Software all functional.
Charged battery completely, reset time (Got that call Customer Support Dialog box) and everything working again.

Thanks for the help.

Actually I fix Tektronix scopes from the 60-90's as a hobby.
But I almost always have schematics.

This unit uses all SMD parts and WOW!! are they small, all soldering done through microscope on those blown diodes.
Awesome, glad it worked out. Maybe you could provide the information about exactly what is the part # of what it is that's burnt out in the photo that you replaced that you might be able to source from Digi-Key, (since radio shack is no longer around) that might help someone less tech savvy to get er done.

Last edited by Witsend; 08-15-2018 at 07:44 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 AM

Yes, I will work on a list of parts.

The entire path blew from my shorting the Verus through the charger circuit.
I attached 1X probes to a floating ground Switch Mode Power Supply circuit.

Just a brain fart on my part, as I know the rule for connecting to floating power supplies, but seeing the Low Battery Dialog box!! I plugged in the charger !! Creating the ground path exceeding the Verus voltage limits.

But I have to say the Verus designers used excellent protection circuits.
Parts cracked and pads vaporized but the computer, hard drive and oscilloscope circuitry survived.
If not that unit would b e a S.O.L.brick as posters have stated.

Good work designers,
Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Not being that good of an electronics tech, I have to ask. What is " the rule for connecting to floating power supplies" exactly?

I feel like I have probably unknowingly run up against it a time or two.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Scare-us Verus

I don't think you ever want to actually be charging the Scanner running the scope module off the battery of the same vehicle you are testing things on .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-xQzUh_Oc