Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Tkempt200 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Chipset repair

I acquired a non working Verus I believe I have found out why. Little back story for fun is that this unit would power up but no screen activity. Well I took it all part to get to the hard drive to make sure it was good. I was able to put it in my gaming computer as a second drive and see it and run files on it so the drive is good just could not boot from it. I found out later about the encryption on these things. Also seen about a bad ram chip would also give a no boot. When I started looking there I found a chip that is exploded we’ll say. Now I believe this chip would have been a chip that had a 226v 40372 writing on it. Just judging by size and shape so I have no way of confirming this so that where I need the help. And maybe where I could get one.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Snap on Does not hand out that info.

What model is the Verus you are working on? Maybe those that have had them apart might know or have a picture of the same board.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Tkempt200 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

EEMS323
Old 09-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lansford View Post
Well first you have to determine whether this is 2 pins or more?
Looks to be 2 pins

Quote:
Is this under the CPU Heatsink/Fan?
Yes

Quote:
Could the part number be 220 not 226?
Iím just basicing it off of one that close in size and shape to one on the board so truly could not tell ya what it is.

Quote:
The letters in this series are A, B, C, CA, Y, Z
Something else I couldnít tell ya.

The soldering iron I have will not unsolder the chip. I guess it wonít get hot enuff. It old. So I canít look under it and see enything. Iíve had other failed projects due to that thing so Iíll be looking into a new one.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 AM

John Lansford Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I was wrong in my post about the chip being a TVS. The way it exploded and the black coloring in the photo made me think it was similar to my problem.

The capacitor nearby is a 22uF 40Volt Capacitor.

These chips are difficult to unsolder because of the non-lead solder.

Last edited by John Lansford; 09-13-2018 at 03:42 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 05:19 AM

In last nights reading I found where there thing come from. I believe itís made by avx.com

http://datasheets.avx.com/TAJ.pdf

I can match up the logo 226 and the V but the 40372 is still a question.

I put a email in to them so weíll see what happens
Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 AM

John Lansford Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

AVX

22uF 50Volt Tantalum Capacitor

Last edited by John Lansford; 09-13-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 AM

That is a capacitor in the Switch Mode Power Supply Circuit.

Wonder what other devices might have blown along that path?
You said the Screen is black?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 AM

The touchscreen does not come on and when. You use a external monitor the monitor can see something is plug in it but there is no video signal. Iíve read on anther post about a bad ram card doing that as well.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Well I ordered what I thought was going the right thing. It is for sure not the same.

I’ve update link to go to the right one

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...7-1-ND/1164443

But what I did learn no matter what way you flip it and I even tried just putting a jumper in and it did not change anything but when I put a jumper in it would just give a power light no WiFi light or fans.

Last edited by Tkempt200; 09-22-2018 at 06:02 PM..