Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nigel0408
    • May 2015

buy modis with 15.2 update or verdict

Hi there everyone am new to this forum and would like to know if I should buy the modis with 15.2 or the verdict
    Or just buy a solus pro and vantage pro .

My so dealer is offering a brand new modis with all cables
    My only concern is will the modis still be supported with updates for any longer .. or is it a bad investment
    I have used solus pro / ultra and modis and vantage pro and liked the modis and it's capabilities.
    Thanks in advance
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by nigel0408
    Hi there everyone am new to this forum and would like to know if I should buy the modis with 15.2 or the verdict

My only concern is will the modis still be supported with updates for any longer .. or is it a bad investment
    I have used solus pro / ultra and modis and vantage pro and liked the modis and it's capabilities.
    Thanks in advance
    The question on support is always a good one, but not one that anyone here can answer for sure. The only thing you can do is guess based on what Snap-on has done in the past. Typically they will sell a platform for around 8 years, then support it with software for another 10 years. If we follow that formula then the Modis will still be supported for a while yet, but certainly not forever. If you are buying a scanner with the idea of updating it every year then I'd have to get a pretty good deal on a Modis to get one now. It is closer to the end of its life than the beginning. I love my Modis, so if it is a good deal I'd still grab one though.

.....I suppose that's not very helpful.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Thanks in advance
      I noticed you are in the UK. If I wasn't a dedicated drive ability tech and less than 50 percent of my work was driveability related, I would just update the trusty Solus Pro you already have and get yourself a used vantage pro or 2 channel PICO

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Thanks in advance
        I LOVE my Solus-PRO.
        I "like" my Solus-ULTRA
        My Vantage-PRO does everything I need for scoping.

If I were in your shoes I would consider the Solus-ULTRA and a Vantage-PRO

The original Modis is petering out.
        The newer Modis-ULTRA is a newer release and a consideration.
        I don't care for "all-in-one" machines. If a common part fails you lose BOTH machines.

Comment

• nigel0408
          • May 2015

Thanks for the replies guys just wanted to clear something out
          The modis I am getting cost 1200 pounds brand new 15.2
          The solus pro I can get is 700 with 14.4
          Vantage pro 600
          And verdict not sure yet
          They new ones are way more
          Solus ultra 1900
          Modis ultra 3200

So my question is considering the amount it cost is the modis better or should I still go for something new .

Comment

• nigel0408
            • May 2015

An also I have heard the verdict has loads of issues with connection .

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

The older original style of MODIS is much more stable a platform than the VERDICT.

At those kinds of prices the MODIS with 15.2 sure sounds like a good deal even if updates stop coming.
              Replacement parts should something go wrong could be an issue though. Here's where I don't care for all-in-one machines..... If the screen takes a hike and if it isn't available later on, you lose both your scanner and your scope, so if you do go for it, turn the brightness down to 60% or less and treat it nicely.

The Vantage-PRO is still a nice little gadget but only has two channels, but I haven't found that to be an issue whereas the Modis has 4-channels.

It's your call.
              Good luck with your choices.

Comment

• Orevin
                • Aug 2010

The Vedict was off to a rocky start. It has become much more reliable and is now on par with the Verus platforms. I personally like the Verdict as a scan tool a lot. Bigger isn't always better
                -Kai-
                Chicago, IL

Comment

• nigel0408
                  • May 2015

Thanks for your reply I am yet to find out how much the verdict would be .
                  The only reason am drawn towards the modis besides the fact that it is a good scan tool is that my dealer has one brand new in a box never used And will get it with 15.2 only problem is further support and repairs ..
                  The verdict he has is an ex demo so it's used and abused I guess . But updates and repairs will be easier since it's still current
                  I mean I don't mind getting the modis now and trading it in after a year or so but don't know what I would get trade in value .
                  It's just that I don't want to spend over a 1500 pounds and end up with a tool that is not supported and no one wants to buy if I want to upgrade .

Comment

• nigel0408
                    • May 2015

thank you everyone for your help and advise , got the modis finally ..fingers crossed all works ok.

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

thank you everyone for your help and advise , got the modis finally ..fingers crossed all works ok.
                      Hope it all works out for you. If you treat the equipment right it can last a very long time, and is still a useful tool even after updates are no longer available.

Occasionally I pull out tools I originally got back in the 1980's to do some things that newer stuff can't do.

Good luck to you.
                      (from the dominions....lol)

Comment

Working...