Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dtnel
    • Feb 2017

External Monitor Possibility

Anyone aware of any hacks or tutorials to add a VGA port to the Modis Edge so we can view the scope data on a larger monitor? Can't believe they'd overlook something like this as it would make the tool more appealing. Wonder if the Zeus has the ability? Might be time for upgrade after 9 months. Get my money back out of the Modis Edge I have in it if I can't figure something out. Dealer offered full retail price which I paid back due trade to a Zeus and that would be discounted from retail a bit. Maybe he wants to move a Zeus tool or two is my guess but I need to figure out this situation first as if I can get it done with the Modis Edge I'll go that route and save $3k
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

I don't know about the Modis Edge but my old original Modis does an external monitor via a VGA. My Verus Edge works nicely with an external 22" external touchscreen monitor through the optional charging cradle as does the shop's Zeus. My Verdict has a cradle and works with an external monitor but doesn't get along well with the touchscreen.
    Do they offer the charging cradle for the Modis Edge? They're like a $350 option for the scanners we have.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Check this out.

Comment

• Bpilon
        • Oct 2017

Yeah I was wonder how I could run a monitor with the Modis Edge. I purchased the ignition probe kit I couldnt use the RPM probe because of the VGA issue with it. Curious to know if its possible.

Comment

• Tech_A
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Dtnel
          Anyone aware of any hacks or tutorials to add a VGA port to the Modis Edge so we can view the scope data on a larger monitor? Can't believe they'd overlook something like this as it would make the tool more appealing. Wonder if the Zeus has the ability? Might be time for upgrade after 9 months. Get my money back out of the Modis Edge I have in it if I can't figure something out. Dealer offered full retail price which I paid back due trade to a Zeus and that would be discounted from retail a bit. Maybe he wants to move a Zeus tool or two is my guess but I need to figure out this situation first as if I can get it done with the Modis Edge I'll go that route and save $3k
          The best method is to record the data and review it via shopstream connect. The original modis was the top tier of the platforms in the CE days and thus got all the nice amenities. Zeus is now king and will most likely retain having all the "modern" features, making the modis and solus products a mid tier product. Shop stream connect will view data from both in a more controlled environment.

If you seek constant live data then you will need to upgrade to a zeus product with tech cart. If you have the time to hack up a 3 drawer service cart. Then i would recommend slapping on battery pack system and wifi booster for maximum range and mobility.

Comment

• Dtnel
            • Feb 2017

External Display

Sounds like I may be better sticking with the Live Data of the Picoscope and limit myself with the modis edge to scanning, component testing features that I can also test with on a picoscope. It would be applying one principal from one device to another. The other small live data I guess we'll live with on the small screen.

I do need to go watch that YouTube vid whatever it is. I've thought about the Zeus as well. Had I knew the Zeus was coming last early spring I would've held off and got the Zeus and passed on the modis edge.

Maybe after the warranty is up I can hack it and add a external display plug. The onboard screen plugs in somewhere and that's the point where we'd look to add a plug to the board at.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• Dtnel
              • Feb 2017

External Display Port

Originally posted by Witsend
              I'll have to see if the same applies to the Modis Edge, newer 2 channel version of the one in the video.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

That video was made by someone who didn't read the owner's manual or even any of the user's guide on the scanner itself. He seems surprised by "hidden" features that are clearly shown in those manuals.
                Also that's generation one, version B Modis he's looking at which has NO relevance to the Modis Edge. ( I have generation one, version A)

Near as I can tell with your Modis scanner there is no external monitor option at all. Nor a a charging cradle option. I think I'd look at trading to a Verus Edge before trying a video hardware hack.

Neither a Verus Edge nor a Zeus have a built-in option for an external monitor. Both require the charging cradle for that. I like the cradle as it has multiple USB ports so you can add a keyboard and mouse. Costs like three time what it ought to though at about $330.

Comment

• Dtnel
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by GypsyR
                  That video was made by someone who didn't read the owner's manual or even any of the user's guide on the scanner itself. He seems surprised by "hidden" features that are clearly shown in those manuals.
                  Also that's generation one, version B Modis he's looking at which has NO relevance to the Modis Edge. ( I have generation one, version A)

Near as I can tell with your Modis scanner there is no external monitor option at all. Nor a a charging cradle option. I think I'd look at trading to a Verus Edge before trying a video hardware hack.

Neither a Verus Edge nor a Zeus have a built-in option for an external monitor. Both require the charging cradle for that. I like the cradle as it has multiple USB ports so you can add a keyboard and mouse. Costs like three time what it ought to though at about $330.

You caught that old video issue as well.. It was interesting watching the video. I think he made that video to make himself act that way as he wasn't saying a whole lot. AS soon as I saw the scan tool I knew it was a older obsolete to snap on model.

IF snap on built the hardware out as Microsoft and Playstation do updates could be for a long time and the tools would be loaded with great feature and techs would actually spend the money on them because return on investment would be alot better resale wise.

I should just bite the bullet and trade up before my warranty expires. I keep looking at the Zeus but wonder what's waiting to replace it already.

If I could only get specs on these scan tools for the circuitry I'd solder my own VGA or some type of video port on. It would gabe to be researched to get the right connection as you can't just throw anything at the circuit boards and expect it to work. Has to be done properly.

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

I've seen where instead of replacing the screen in an old Modis somebody wired in an external LCD. Sort of glued to the front of the case. Looked pretty funky but apparently he knew how to suss out the correct video signals as it worked. Locally we still have TV'electronics repair shop. I bet they could do it. I've upgraded memory and internal drives but I think I'd be pretty iffy on adding a video port to a fairly new scanner.
                    We have a Zeus. It's a Verus Edge with a slightly different case and one or two software tweaks. Seriously. A used Verus Edge is a massively better value.

Comment

• Dtnel
                      • Feb 2017

Solved the external monitor issue. The Zeus has a USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 port, headphone port and one other I can't recall but after seeing it on the snap on technology truck the other day and getting the right numbers thrown at me I'll be upgrading. Hopefully this will be the last time for sometime as upgrading last year and now this year has taken it's toll on me. When they say the ZEUS has smart intelligent diagnostics it does. Not having to scan, step away and get other information will be a valuable time saver long term.

Should be swapping it out tonight. Don't know if I should be excited or now shocked that i'll have to bill more work to get this thing paid for. It runs on Windows 7 Enterprise and I just about am getting the docking station for next to nothing as that was the deal breaker for making the sale happen.

Comment

• GypsyR
                        • Jul 2017

That's actually Windows Standard, embedded. Same as the Verus Edge.
                        I have to admit the first time I pulled up codes on a CVT Nissan and the Zeus pulled TSB's on the failure cause it was pretty cool. Shame it hardly ever has an appropriate fix for all the other stuff we see. They say they're adding to it all the time though.
                        Don't lose the DLC fob, it's like $1800 to replace.

Comment

• Dtnel
                          • Feb 2017

That's actually Windows Standard, embedded. Same as the Verus Edge.
                          I have to admit the first time I pulled up codes on a CVT Nissan and the Zeus pulled TSB's on the failure cause it was pretty cool. Shame it hardly ever has an appropriate fix for all the other stuff we see. They say they're adding to it all the time though.
                          Don't lose the DLC fob, it's like $1800 to replace.
                          Might have to out a TILE tracker on it somewhere as long as it don't interfere with the connection. Picked it up today and noticed on the bottom of the box it lists all Verus components as the parts to make it.

Kind of like the new Solus Edge they just changed the sticker color. I'm skeptical due to the new "memorandum of understanding" and "right to repair" law out east in Mass. I believe it may get where everyone gets a dongle with software from some places or a pass thru programmer with snappy and when you do the dealer site login which I haven't did yet I'm wondering if it will allow you to pull codes at the dealer website along with having access to the software for reprogramming.

I was thinking about that today on my drive back from meeting with the snap on guy and the snap on guy with the tech truck. Kind of kicking myself in the but for not getting the workstation for $1800 more and getting the toolbox which was part of that along with the tray. I did get the docking station which I'll receive next week.

On the they're always adding data is that when they're not adding the data for creating the new interfaces for the software in the scan tools. You're right in regards to they could use a little more integration. I better start seeing alot more information in regards to the "intelligent diagnostics" thing they're working on. IF I don't see much a difference after the first year I'll call them every week until they start doing something. When you sell the subscription you have to deliver. Not having the information and doing contracts to supply that information could almost be a breach of contract in some aspects as lawyers like to pick things apart.

Without the intelligent diagnostics you just have a Verus. Bad thing is the Verus can only get up to 17.2 and if you didn't get it then you can't get it. No going back of anything.

Comment

• GypsyR
                            • Jul 2017

? My Verus Edge is running 17.4.

The charging cradle is the business. You can plug a cheapo USB keyboard into it. You probably won't use it much but it's really great to have every little once in a while. The Verdict setup came with a wireless trackball/keyboard thingy which is OK but a dirt cheap USB keyboard and wireless mouse actually work better. (If you have a flat surface for mouse use)

I recycled my Verdict workstation. Nice to have the larger screen sometimes. Especially when viewing or reviewing scope traces.

Comment

• Dtnel
                              • Feb 2017

? My Verus Edge is running 17.4.

The charging cradle is the business. You can plug a cheapo USB keyboard into it. You probably won't use it much but it's really great to have every little once in a while. The Verdict setup came with a wireless trackball/keyboard thingy which is OK but a dirt cheap USB keyboard and wireless mouse actually work better. (If you have a flat surface for mouse use)

I recycled my Verdict workstation. Nice to have the larger screen sometimes. Especially when viewing or reviewing scope traces.
                              I'm thinking the previous verus if I have my model correct which only goes to 17.2.

The edge tools are pretty much recent versions vs the other versions prior to Edge versions if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...