X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

An odd screen we get sometimes

An odd screen we get sometimes.

My boss some special way of finding this while scanning a car. I have no idea what he does to get there but he shoves it at me to fix it. The extra buttons actually crop up while he is connected to a vehicle and looking at data. The screenshot is showing how the extra non-functional buttons persist even after I have backed out of the vehicle screen. They don't show on the Home screen but persist when entering a different vehicle. A complete restart clears them.
    Only the rightmost back button works and none of the exit buttons work. The other buttons work as expected.

Just an odd glitch to me and I can work around it but it bothers the man who bought this thing.
  • Jay G.
    Administrator
    • Dec 2006

How often are you shutting the unit down?

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

A couple of weeks ago it popped up a notice that it would be best to leave it on all day (or something like that) so it would be sure to stay updated. So weekdays it's fired up when I come in and I shut it down at night. It sits in the charging cradle during the day.

Comment

• John Lansford
        • Nov 2014

There is no good reason to need instant every second updates.

Companies do this to keep information about you current.
        And it most likely wouldn't be Snap-on, it would be anti-virus software.

The problem you have is called ghosting.
        You didn't specify operating system.

In Win 7 could be a problem in software or hardware.
        In "performance options" there is a setting to turn on or off fade options.

If unit is under warranty might be good idea to talk to Snap-On customer support.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

I see you're not familiar with this particular scanner at all. The constantly being up to date with the latest TSB's and such is a big selling point with a Zeus. The only anti-virus it runs is stock Windows Defender.

All Zeus and Verus Edge scanners run Win 7 embedded but I expect this to be more an issue with the Shopsteam software. In a way. this forum IS tech support and they've asked me to put a screenshot and info here before when I have run across such an issue. Someone will at least look in on this at some point. I very much doubt I'm the only one to see such problems but I am a fairly squeaky wheel.

Comment

• Jay G.
            Administrator
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by GypsyR
            A couple of weeks ago it popped up a notice that it would be best to leave it on all day (or something like that) so it would be sure to stay updated. So weekdays it's fired up when I come in and I shut it down at night. It sits in the charging cradle during the day.
            We have seen this issue with units that have been left on for extended periods of time.

Just to be clear when you shut it down at night are you turning it off by hitting the desktop Windows icon the select "shut down" or putting it in sleep mode by hitting the button on the lower right grip.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

Complete Windows shutdown.
              Come to find out the particular truck he had it on last he was reading data for 20 minutes or so. The truck would lose and regain electrical power because of an intermittent connection so it may be the 12 volt power to the DLC fob was also coming and going too. If that makes any difference.

I've had it on and active for longer periods doing scope work and such but haven't gotten it to do this while I was using it. He's gotten it at least three times now that I know of.

Comment

• Billcmat
                • Apr 2007

I've seen it too

I have also seen this on my Zeus. A reboot seems to fix it.
                I leave mine on usually all workweek unless something like this happens.

Willie
                Bill Mays
                Duffy's Repair Service
                Ashland, VA

Comment

• Jay G.
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Billcmat
                  I have also seen this on my Zeus. A reboot seems to fix it.
                  I leave mine on usually all workweek unless something like this happens.

Willie
                  You should reboot the device every couple of days.

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Billcmat
                    I have also seen this on my Zeus.
                    Good to know it's not just us, thanks.

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                      • Dec 2015

I just saw this, what I did was create a shutdown task so everyday at 7pm if the unit has been idle for an hour it shuts down automatically. This way I never have to physically shut it down. Then I don't have to worry if I shut it down or not.

Comment

Working...