Toyota tpms support in 10.4???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

I won't get into brands and pricing but you usually get what you pay for... any how thanks for the heads up on that tool. I understand what you mean about dealer support. I will be looking into it further as a another purchase. They don't call me the snap on kid for nothing...

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
      I won't get into brands and pricing but you usually get what you pay for... any how thanks for the heads up on that tool. I understand what you mean about dealer support. I will be looking into it further as a another purchase. They don't call me the snap on kid for nothing...
      SnapOn covers a lot of ground but there are specialized pieces of equipment that may have either more coverage or more in-depth coverage.
      SO can be pricey at times and sometimes you don't get what you pay for, regardless of equipment manufacturer.

As for TPMS systems, the earlier systems used the capability of the wheel speed sensors to detect a certain number of revolutions per mile. With a tire lower than others by 6-psi or more, it will naturally have a smaller circumference and therefore more revolutions per mile on that one wheel. The drawback to these "indirect" systems is that if the vehicle spec is 35-psi and three wheels are at 28-psi it will only "detect" a difference if the other one is down at about 22-psi. ALL FOUR are at the wrong pressure, but it used an already built-in capability to comprisson check the tires/wheel speeds.
      With the fubar from Ford back in 2004??, (regardless of what make of tire is on the vehicle, you will from time to time have an "air-out". When that happens, should the vehicle flip over??), Congress mandated that all 2006?? and newer vehicles required "direct" TPMS instead of the "indirect" type of systems. That is about the time that each wheel started to have individual sensors inside each rim. There were a whole lot of manufacturers of sensor systems on the various vehicles but the smoke seems to have started to clear with the newer vehicles.
      A lot of manufacturers of vehicles used the already built-in capability of the remote door lock reciever (key fobs send an RF signal) to recieve the RF signals from the sensors within a certain proximity. It must have been funny to watch some guy in a dealership try to get proper readings when the guy in the next bay was rapidly changing tire pressures and laughing like heck.... That's why each sensor needs to be "learned" by each vehicle. The number of sensor ID's is huge so it would be almost impossible for a vehicle to recieve wrong signals from another nearby vehicle, but I suppose it could be possible.
      Look up the circa 1999, 2000, 2001 GM TPMS (indirect/wheel speed sensor) systems. They're pretty good for descriptions of the earlier types.
      Then look up the circa 2008, 2009, 2010 systems and see what's changed.
      An RF signal is an RF signal, no matter if it's North American, Asian or European.
      HTH

Comment

Working...