Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky Masterson
    • May 2011

Need Advice from Tech's

I just passed the CA Smog Exam and am now looking to buy a scanner.

My question to you all is - is it a good idea to buy a USED Solus Pro from lets say ... Ebay?

I'd be saving alot of $$$.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • dave-m
    • Feb 2011

Ebay is a cr?p shoot. Sometimes you get really good deals, but there's always the chance you get a stolen or broken unit. Always pay attention to the sellers feedback and always pay with Paypal.

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Sky Masterson
      I just passed the CA Smog Exam and am now looking to buy a scanner.

My question to you all is - is it a good idea to buy a USED Solus Pro from lets say ... Ebay?

I'd be saving alot of $$$.

Thanks in advance for your input.
      I'm a Smog tech in Cal also and congrats for passing your exam. Owning your own scan tool is a good choice. But for smogs I really recommend you get a good OBD2 scanner. ATS E-scan is a good choice and you could get or find it at EBay very cheap. SnapOn Solus or any Snappy tool has Very Poor and Slow OBD2 testing. I know because I'm always checking OBD2 readiness status and Mode6 test results before and after any emission repairs. and with Snappy tools it just takes too long. good only for full testing and diagnostics once you sell a diagnostic for a smog related failure. OTC Genisys is also a good choice for OBD2 and a starter tech such as yourself and you can find a cheap used one. having more than one platform is whats recommended because you'll find that not all tools are equal. good luck..
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Sky Masterson
        • May 2011

Originally posted by dave-m
        Ebay is a cr?p shoot. Sometimes you get really good deals, but there's always the chance you get a stolen or broken unit. Always pay attention to the sellers feedback and always pay with Paypal.
        Yes, I am talking about sellers with 98 and higher percent rates.

Originally posted by eddiesverus
        I'm a Smog tech in Cal also and congrats for passing your exam. Owning your own scan tool is a good choice. But for smogs I really recommend you get a good OBD2 scanner. ATS E-scan is a good choice and you could get or find it at EBay very cheap. SnapOn Solus or any Snappy tool has Very Poor and Slow OBD2 testing. I know because I'm always checking OBD2 readiness status and Mode6 test results before and after any emission repairs. and with Snappy tools it just takes too long. good only for full testing and diagnostics once you sell a diagnostic for a smog related failure. OTC Genisys is also a good choice for OBD2 and a starter tech such as yourself and you can find a cheap used one. having more than one platform is whats recommended because you'll find that not all tools are equal. good luck..
        Great information to know, thank you.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Eddie Has some really sound advice for you. I realize you can save 1/2 or more buying a used unit but also consider this.

1. How much is it going to cost to update the unit???
          2. If something goes wrong with the unit, what is the average cost to repair???
          3. How old is the unit??? If its an older unit its more likely that it may need to be repaired in the near future or that it does not have the most up to date parts in it. If it has to go in for repair, sometimes an older unit can cost more to get repaired as a result of not having the newest hardware.

Good Luck with your decision.

Personally I buy new scan tools directly from the manufacture, or Authorized Local reseller for the warranty and piece of mind. I purchased a new tech2 from ebay from a seller with 100% positive feed back that was selling new units a few years back. I figured can't go wrong its a US seller and he sold at least 10 units before I purchased mine. As far as I new it was exactly what he said it was. I had some people look at it and they said the same thing looked real to them too. It wasn't till recently that I found out it was a clone unit. Even though it works fine I can't send it in for repair if it ever breaks and I can't sale it knowing that its a clone.
          I also no longer using it for repairs as I don't want the liability if it damages something on the car. I recently bought a new unit through the proper channels

Comment

• Sky Masterson
            • May 2011

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            Eddie Has some really sound advice for you. I realize you can save 1/2 or more buying a used unit but also consider this.

1. How much is it going to cost to update the unit???
            2. If something goes wrong with the unit, what is the average cost to repair???
            3. How old is the unit??? If its an older unit its more likely that it may need to be repaired in the near future or that it does not have the most up to date parts in it. If it has to go in for repair, sometimes an older unit can cost more to get repaired as a result of not having the newest hardware.

Good Luck with your decision.

Personally I buy new scan tools directly from the manufacture, or Authorized Local reseller for the warranty and piece of mind. I purchased a new tech2 from ebay from a seller with 100% positive feed back that was selling new units a few years back. I figured can't go wrong its a US seller and he sold at least 10 units before I purchased mine. As far as I new it was exactly what he said it was. I had some people look at it and they said the same thing looked real to them too. It wasn't till recently that I found out it was a clone unit. Even though it works fine I can't send it in for repair if it ever breaks and I can't sale it knowing that its a clone.
            I also no longer using it for repairs as I don't want the liability if it damages something on the car. I recently bought a new unit through the proper channels
            Yes, I was very weary of getting on used.
            I've decided to get a brand new one.

I'm not sure which is a better choice for me; the EScan or the OTC Genisys.
            I'm leanig towards the Genisys.

Comment

• Orevin
              • Aug 2010

Yes, I was very weary of getting on used.
              I've decided to get a brand new one.

I'm not sure which is a better choice for me; the EScan or the OTC Genisys.
              I'm leanig towards the Genisys.

While the Escan is good at what is does, it's generic OBD only, no bidirectionals. The Solus Pro or Genisys will give you access to enhanced data as well as other modules.
              -Kai-
              Chicago, IL

Comment

• Sky Masterson
                • May 2011

While the Escan is good at what is does, it's generic OBD only, no bidirectionals. The Solus Pro or Genisys will give you access to enhanced data as well as other modules.
                I did not know the Escan was generic only, I gotta have Manufacturer specific in addition to generic.

I know now that the Genysis will be better for me.

Thanks everyone. You've really been a big help!

Just one more question -
                I found one outlet that is selling them for $2500, with the 2010 update.
                Should I go for that one or do you guys know of a better place to purchase it from?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

I did not know the Escan was generic only, I gotta have Manufacturer specific in addition to generic.

I know now that the Genysis will be better for me.

Thanks everyone. You've really been a big help!

Just one more question -
                  I found one outlet that is selling them for $2500, with the 2010 update.
                  Should I go for that one or do you guys know of a better place to purchase it from?
                  Best thing is to shop around. There are so many retailers out there its hard to know who has the best deals. See who has the best warranty. Other retailers like napa have a program were you trade in another professional scanner and you get a bunch of other ad ons free. Others have rebates for software upgrades or discounts towards future updates.

Comment

• Sky Masterson
                    • May 2011

I don't understand, so do I need to purchase the Asian (and Euro) sperately, or is it included? It says "vehicle cables for Domestic" but I don't see anything about the Asian.

Includes the NEW Genisys EVO featuring System 4.0 with Code-Assistâ„¢ experienced-based Confirmed Fixesâ„¢ from Identifixâ„¢, NEW USA 2010 Domestic/Asian with ABS software including Pathfinder, Repair-Tracâ„¢, Fast fixes information, BONUS USA 2008 European software, Heavy-Duty Standard software with cables, InfoTech Component Information software, Automated System Testâ„¢, OBD II Smart Cable, USA Domestic OEM vehicle cables (for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Saturn), manuals, Smart Cards, and carrying case.

Comment

• Orevin
                      • Aug 2010

I don't understand, so do I need to purchase the Asian (and Euro) sperately, or is it included? It says "vehicle cables for Domestic" but I don't see anything about the Asian.

Includes the NEW Genisys EVO featuring System 4.0 with Code-Assistâ„¢ experienced-based Confirmed Fixesâ„¢ from Identifixâ„¢, NEW USA 2010 Domestic/Asian with ABS software including Pathfinder, Repair-Tracâ„¢, Fast fixes information, BONUS USA 2008 European software, Heavy-Duty Standard software with cables, InfoTech Component Information software, Automated System Testâ„¢, OBD II Smart Cable, USA Domestic OEM vehicle cables (for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Saturn), manuals, Smart Cards, and carrying case.

Pre-OBD2 Asian cables are not included. And yes, you need them.
                      -Kai-
                      Chicago, IL

Comment

• Sky Masterson
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Orevin

Pre-OBD2 Asian cables are not included. And yes, you need them.
                        Oh man ...

That's another 5-600 clams, but I need to have it and it will pay for itself.

You think I ought to buy the Euro also, all at ones, or should I wait on that?

Comment

• Orevin
                          • Aug 2010

Oh man ...

That's another 5-600 clams, but I need to have it and it will pay for itself.

You think I ought to buy the Euro also, all at ones, or should I wait on that?

I haven't used a Genisys for some time, but I remember Euro wasn't worth the money. Neither was the scope.
                          -Kai-
                          Chicago, IL

Comment

• Sky Masterson
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Orevin

I haven't used a Genisys for some time, but I remember Euro wasn't worth the money. Neither was the scope.
                            Okay.

Yeah, I saw the scope too; scope and scanner combo ... around 4 grand.

I'd love to have a scope but I'm going to wait till I can afford a really decent one.

EDIT:

I was thinking of another scanner ($4000) which has a scope sold separately from the unit. The Genysis has a optional scope software, I guess.
                            Last edited by Sky Masterson; 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Okay.

Yeah, I saw the scope too; scope and scanner combo ... around 4 grand.

I'd love to have a scope but I'm going to wait till I can afford a really decent one.

EDIT:

I was thinking of another scanner ($4000) which has a scope sold separately from the unit. The Genysis has a optional scope software, I guess.
                              The Geni scope is a module that plugs into the back of the unit and is about the same size as the display screen. It is both software and hardware. It just uses the display screen and the button pad of the original unit.
                              I agree with Orevin.

IMO:
                              Use a scanner for scanning....
                              Use a scope for scoping.....
                              Anything else is a compromize....

Comment

Working...