X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autodiagservices
    • Jul 2011

Jeep

Hello Mates,

I have a Solus Pro with software v10.2. I am working on a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7Flex Fuel. The PCM is bad, and I trying to replace the old PCM with a brand new PCM, whenever I tried to access the vehicle with the new PCM installed, I get the error below:
    'System Version not found in the database.
    Version Num: 857
    For Codes only: Continue'

Could anyone pls tell me what's wrong.

On the alternative, I tried to access the vehicle with the old PCM, and on getting access, I replaced the old PCM with the new PCM, and then tried to READ VIN under the SYSTEM TEST menu, the scanner detected no VIN was programmed, and I was asked to input VIN, on entering the required VIN, after confirmation I get the error below:
    'An error occured
    1(0X1) #55 - (ManualMsg - DCX CAN READ'

Could anyone pls tell me also what's still wrong with my scanner or the vehicle?

I hope Solus Pro v10.2 supports bi-directional function?

All help or info will be appreciated.

BR
    autoDIAG Services
    for the LIFE of your CAR
  • orlando
    • Feb 2011

every time you replace a pcm you need to reflash it. do you know about
    J 2534 TOOL

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Why is the PCM deemed "bad". What exactly happened and what were the symptoms. How did you arrive at this conclusion. This may help to understand what is wrong now.

Comment

• autodiagservices
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by orlando
        every time you replace a pcm you need to reflash it. do you know about
        J 2534 TOOL
        Yes, I know of j2534 passthru tool but I don't know that I will require such tool to be able to program VIN onto CAN based vehicles. Anyway, ?do you have any brand in mind or make a recommendation of any passthru device that can work perfectly for Chrysler vehicles?

Come to think of it, does it mean Solus pro or snap on tool cannot program VIN onto new PCM?

BR
        autoDIAG Services
        for the LIFE of your CAR

Comment

• Rich Barton
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by autodiagservices
          Yes, I know of j2534 passthru tool but I don't know that I will require such tool to be able to program VIN onto CAN based vehicles. Anyway, ?do you have any brand in mind or make a recommendation of any passthru device that can work perfectly for Chrysler vehicles?

Come to think of it, does it mean Solus pro or snap on tool cannot program VIN onto new PCM?

BR
          Morning autodiagservices,

If my memory is correct on newer chrysler pcm's they come with no flash file in them and the j2534 device can't load new ones but it can do an update flash to orignal pcm at least this is what I have found using a snap-on pass thru pro 2.

As for the vin learn you will need a starmobile or witech the solus can only do chryslers with no skim.
          Rich Barton
          C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• autodiagservices
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Rich Barton
            Morning autodiagservices,

If my memory is correct on newer chrysler pcm's they come with no flash file in them and the j2534 device can't load new ones but it can do an update flash to orignal pcm at least this is what I have found using a snap-on pass thru pro 2.

As for the vin learn you will need a starmobile or witech the solus can only do chryslers with no skim.

Thank you very much C.R.B,

Below is the responsive I got when I contacted Snap-ON technical support on the issue of writing VIN into a new PCM using the Solus Pro:
            -----------------------------------------
            Dear Customer,

This means the version on the PCM is newer then the system software on the Solus Pro. This would not happen if the Solus Pro had version 11.2,

Thanks for your inquiry,

Snap-on Diagnostics Technical Support
            5500 Hellyer Ave
            San Jose, CA 95138
            USA: 800-424-7226
            Monday - Friday 6am to 5pm PST
            --------------------------------------------
            my worry is that, I dont want to upgrade to v11.2 and still not been able to fulfill the task of writing VIN into new PCM.

Could anyone pls re-verify the information provided by snap-on on the issue of writing VIN into new PCM.

pls all help or info will be appreciated.

BR
            autoDIAG Services
            for the LIFE of your CAR

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

--------------------------------------------
              my worry is that, I dont want to upgrade to v11.2 and still not been able to fulfill the task of writing VIN into new PCM.

Could anyone pls re-verify the information provided by snap-on on the issue of writing VIN into new PCM.

pls all help or info will be appreciated.

BR
              You are working on cars that are imported to Africa. There are no guarantees on anything when it comes to scanner communication/capabilities. That car could have a software version in it that is not available in the US, and as a result, it may not work correctly.

Joe
              "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
              Henry Ford

Comment

• autodiagservices
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                You are working on cars that are imported to Africa. There are no guarantees on anything when it comes to scanner communication/capabilities. That car could have a software version in it that is not available in the US, and as a result, it may not work correctly.

Joe
                hello joe,

you actually didnt get my scenario, the car in question was just brought in to Africa from the US, the vehicle came in with the PCM problem - 2 injector circuit failure, the importer bought a brand new PCM, the PCM needs to be programmed into the vehicle, errors found on the PCM is 'VIN not programmed', I ordered a used snap on solus pro v10.2 for the job and i found out it cannot do it, now i want to know if i upgrade my solus pro to version 11.2, will it be able to program VIN into the new PCM or I will need to use Pass Thru device with online connectivity before I can write VIN into PCM?

pls help
                autoDIAG Services
                for the LIFE of your CAR

Comment

• daytona dave
                  • Jun 2011

Joe
                  So what are you saying Joe that snap on scanners only work on cars that are available in USA ( why are you flogging them to the rest of the world then)
                  everybodys mad except me

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by daytona dave
                    So what are you saying Joe that snap on scanners only work on cars that are available in USA ( why are you flogging them to the rest of the world then)
                    A scanner made for vehicles in the US Market may/may not work on vehicles out of it. A Chevy pickup exported to South America will most likely have a different software version than one sold elsewhere.
                    The problem is made worse when that Country doesn't have emission laws that govern what can be imported. A Chevy in South America could have come from China, UK, Canada, Mexico, and each one of those trucks would require a scanner with different software in it, except maybe for the Canadian one.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

hello joe,

you actually didnt get my scenario, the car in question was just brought in to Africa from the US, the vehicle came in with the PCM problem - 2 injector circuit failure, the importer bought a brand new PCM, the PCM needs to be programmed into the vehicle, errors found on the PCM is 'VIN not programmed', I ordered a used snap on solus pro v10.2 for the job and i found out it cannot do it, now i want to know if i upgrade my solus pro to version 11.2, will it be able to program VIN into the new PCM or I will need to use Pass Thru device with online connectivity before I can write VIN into PCM?

pls help
                      Earlier you said you had the following error:

'System Version not found in the database.
                      Version Num: 857
                      For Codes only: Continue'

You asked this same question in another thread, and I replied there.
                      Here is the answer:
                      The error "System Version Not Found" happens when the scanner doesn't have the correct software in it for that vehicle. It can happen for a couple of reasons.
                      1) You are trying to hook to a newer car than your scanner supports.

2) You are connecting to a car sold in a market that we don't support. This is probably the problem you are having. There are a lot of software versions for vehicles sold in Asia, Africa and South America that we don't support, because we can't get our hands on them.

3) When Chrysler vehicles return to the dealer for a reflash, a new System Version of their software gets loaded into the PCM. As they do that, those new versions must be loaded into the scanner software in order to communicate with them. It is one of the reasons you need to keep your software current. It's not just to get the new model years and features. It also includes all the new Chrysler System Versions. To clarify, my neighbor has a new Dodge Cummins. My scanner would communicate with it without any issues. He returned to the dealer to get the latest Regen Calibration, and my scanner would no longer communicate with it. When I loaded the next software release, it worked again.

If the vehicle you have came from the US, then the problem you are having is #3. That same problem exists here in the US, and will continue to get worse as Chrysler continues to update their System Version when they Reflash them.
                      If you called Tech Support, and they said that 11.2 supports the new software version, I believe them.
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• daytona dave
                        • Jun 2011

A scanner made for vehicles in the US Market may/may not work on vehicles out of it. A Chevy pickup exported to South America will most likely have a different software version than one sold elsewhere.
                        The problem is made worse when that Country doesn't have emission laws that govern what can be imported. A Chevy in South America could have come from China, UK, Canada, Mexico, and each one of those trucks would require a scanner with different software in it, except maybe for the Canadian one.

Joe
                        snap on make scanners for each of these markets the same as the manufactures make models for each of these markets, so the software has being done for each of these markets. Auto has asked for help and your suggestion to him in a different thread was to purchase 11.2 and it might be on there, well is it or isn't it, simple question? some one at snap on must know what they put on the program or is it pot luck or as you put it might be, might not give us your money any way.
                        when i update my launch i can down load euro or USA or timbuktu.
                        stop hiding behind (it might not support that vehicle) you were using that old chestnut in the 90s when i bought my first mt2500, get a grip man and answer a question with the facts that someone asked for instead of corporate nonsense
                        everybodys mad except me

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Corporate nonsense would be telling him something to make him happy. I'm just giving him the facts. If I could guarantee 11.2 would fix it, I would, but it's a car in Africa and there are no guarantees. I stated it as plainly as possible. I don't spin anything. This forum if for helping technicians, which is what I'm doing the best way I know how.

Again. If Tech Support says that 11.2 supports System Version 857 then it probably does, but the car was reflashed in Africa...
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• daytona dave
                            • Jun 2011

Hi Joe i would imagine all mechanics join the forum looking for a little help now and then or to learn something new or to help someone else, and the snap on techs should have the answers (about there own product), please forgive me for misunderstanding your signature as i thought you may have had a conection to snap on and therefor had the answers, telling someone it may do or might be on a new update or we might not support that vehicle IS corporate nonsense and doesn't answer any questions or help anyone, why do you keep going on about the vehicle being in Africa he already knows that, he's asking a simple question if you don't know the answer tell him, all you are doing is confusing folk with your may be's, people all over this forum are asking will the scanner do this or that and no one at snap on seem to know what is on there own programs ether that or it's top secret and you have to be a member or the masons.
                            Last edited by daytona dave; 07-31-2011, 12:41 AM.
                            everybodys mad except me

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                              Snap-on DSD
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by daytona dave
                              why do you keep going on about the vehicle being in Africa he already knows that, he's asking a simple question if you don't know the answer tell him, all you are doing is confusing folk with your may be's, people all over this forum are asking will the scanner do this or that and no one at snap on seem to know what is on there own programs ether that or it's top secret and you have to be a member or the masons.

I'm sorry you are confused. If the answer was yes, I'd say yes. If the answer is maybe, then I'll say maybe. It's as simple as I can state it. I'm not trying to make anyone happy, or mad, just answering the question.
                              From a previous post:

Even if the car was imported from the US Market, it was reflashed in Africa and may have a software version in it that our scanner won't communicate with. So, the answer to whether 11.2, or any version made before or after that is "maybe", and I'm sorry if that confuses you.

Joe
                              Henry Ford

Comment

Working...