Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

Better Hyundai/Kia coverage

My Verus is absolutely awful with Hyundai/Kia. The info seems quite far from enhanced (I actually need to go to Global OBDII to see several parameters) and the refresh rate is so slow there is no way I can capture glitches. Even when I go to custom and throw up 2 or 3 parameters it still takes several seconds to refresh.

My functional and system tests are also close to useless.

SRS- I can pull and clear codes, but gather zero PIDs? I see a lot of airbag lights on these cars and really have to go back to old school dummy loads and DMM testing to fix them. One of the reasons I spent $12,000 was to have access to systems like this.

Hyundai and Kia cars are the fastest growing car lines on our roads today. It would be great to have enhanced data and bi-directional controls that really do something to help us diagnose this growing market.
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Kia & Hyundai post

Its good that you posted that. I get by reading your post that it is not one particular year or model. Could you give some examples, what year, make, models?

The developers are interested in what you see a lot of. I think that everyone will be seeing more and more Kias and Hyundais and your examples will be a big help.

All these things are important, popular modules, and bi-directional control, so list what you need it to do. Someone, probably Jay, will pick up on your suggestions.

And input does get heard, that's how Suzuki got integrated.

Are you working as a mechanical repair tech in a body shop? I saw that Lotus pic, looked as if there was body work going on.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Off hand I have the following customers that come in for normal maintenance.

1 customer with 2003 Hyundai Elantra
      1 customer with a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
      1 customer with 2006 Hyundai Azera
      2 customers with 2009 Kia Spectra
      1 custonmer with 2010 Kia Soul
      1 customer with 2011 Kia Soul
      2 customers with Kia Rio's I believe one is an 2009 and the other is 2010

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
        Its good that you posted that. I get by reading your post that it is not one particular year or model. Could you give some examples, what year, make, models?

The developers are interested in what you see a lot of. I think that everyone will be seeing more and more Kias and Hyundais and your examples will be a big help.

All these things are important, popular modules, and bi-directional control, so list what you need it to do. Someone, probably Jay, will pick up on your suggestions.

And input does get heard, that's how Suzuki got integrated.

Are you working as a mechanical repair tech in a body shop? I saw that Lotus pic, looked as if there was body work going on.

Thanks, Bob
        I am a used car dealer tech. I do all the driveability/electrical/emissions/problem child work in the shop.

No body work. I had to remove the clamshell to access almost everything on the vehicle. It is one hell of a process to get to anything on that car. It is actually a friend of a friend's car. The guy was pleased and I have actually gotten more work from the local Lotus crowd because of it.

As far as vehicles, we see cars from 2003-2007. Locally independents can only sell cars that are 5 years old or older, and all of our cars are generally within those years. We see various makes/models.

Bi-directional is extremely limited on all Hyundai/Kia vehicles, and communication, even in custom mode, is a snails pace at best. 2-5 second refreshes are terrible for glitches.

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Just had an 05 Kia Sedona 3.5. The datastream was definitely better than the cars. Slow communication has been on 06 and older Optimas and Rios. No datastream for SRS systems at all. One in particular was an Optima, roughly 05-06 with a driver's side airbag resistance issue. No PIDs at all for the system.

Oh yeah, guys... don't get bit like I did for the ump-teenth time... Driver side airbag is not the same as drivers side airbag

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            Off hand I have the following customers that come in for normal maintenance.

1 customer with 2003 Hyundai Elantra
            1 customer with a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
            1 customer with 2006 Hyundai Azera
            2 customers with 2009 Kia Spectra
            1 custonmer with 2010 Kia Soul
            1 customer with 2011 Kia Soul
            2 customers with Kia Rio's I believe one is an 2009 and the other is 2010
            Hey Kid Snap!

Feel free to report back on issues with the software.

What you need it to do, what it doesn't do and what you like about it or how it compares to the other guys stuff.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

A common request I get is to program Replacement or additional remotes (key fobs) for Hyundai's and Kia's. This due to the popularity of these cars lately and spaseness of dealers. This is on mostly 06 and newer models. As far as I know there is no alternative to program a key FOB to one of these without the dealer scanner or some thing called a "Code Saver". This would be a useful feature to have.

Comment

• mrleger
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by sandt38
                Just had an 05 Kia Sedona 3.5. The datastream was definitely better than the cars. Slow communication has been on 06 and older Optimas and Rios. No datastream for SRS systems at all. One in particular was an Optima, roughly 05-06 with a driver's side airbag resistance issue. No PIDs at all for the system.

Oh yeah, guys... don't get bit like I did for the ump-teenth time... Driver side airbag is not the same as drivers side airbag
                The air bag light issue is not a problem with the air bag it's something wrong with the connection under the drivers seat, I have an 04 KIA Optima and have the same issue. If you go to this web site they offer good tips on KIA's www.kiatechinfo.com

Comment

• sandt38
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by mrleger
                  The air bag light issue is not a problem with the air bag it's something wrong with the connection under the drivers seat, I have an 04 KIA Optima and have the same issue. If you go to this web site they offer good tips on KIA's www.kiatechinfo.com

I have fixed several of those with their fix and some Stabilant22 on the terminals, but I had to replace the bag on this one. It has been gone for a while, and in fact we blew the bag today.

I am on the Kia site, but it is really laid out horribly. Same with Hyundai.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    Hey Kid Snap!

Feel free to report back on issues with the software.

What you need it to do, what it doesn't do and what you like about it or how it compares to the other guys stuff.

Thanks, Bob
                    Sorry Bob, Just saw your post. I mainly would like to get some of the dealer functions added. I think some of the biggest things missing is Air bag coverage and TPMS data. If you can't at least get the code out of the separate systems you don't even know were to start let alone if its a hard fault issue.

Been a while since I had to work on for a repair I believe it was the 2006 Hyundai Azera that had a TPMS fault, an Air bag Fault, and an issue with an 02 sensor.

I don't remember seeing any TPMS Data or Air Bag Data. I believe I was only able to get the code for the 02 sensor. This was 11.2 haven't checked whats been added since for this car line if any...

I had to use the Carman Scan 1 to see why I had a fault in TPMS system and the Air bag fault. Since I was there is used it to monitor the 02 sensor issue as well.

The Air Bag was a Connector issue and with out the Carman Scan I was not able to clear the fault from that system.

If the TPMS was that same car, it had 1 dead sensor but the customer opted to not replace it just wanted to know why it was on. With out the data or codes, I don't know if it's a sensor issue or an electrical issue with the car's receiver.

I believe there was engine data but sense it was a heater code I knew it was most likely the sensor it self. Since I had to use the Carman Scan for the other issues I just decided to monitor the 02 Sensor with that tool instead.

I would like to see the addition of all the separate systems so that we can retrieve and clear codes. Then it would be nice to see all the other dealer tool bi-directional functions added.

Tell the software team If we can't access all the separate systems, How do I know how complicated a repair might be or if I am even capable of doing it at my shop. If I can't get the job or have to turn it away for lack of coverage, how do I re coupe my money or purchase future updates???

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by SnapOnKid

I would like to see the addition of all the separate systems so that we can retrieve and clear codes. Then it would be nice to see all the other dealer tool bi-directional functions added.

Tell the software team If we can't access all the separate systems, How do I know how complicated a repair might be or if I am even capable of doing it at my shop. If I can't get the job or have to turn it away for lack of coverage, how do I re coupe my money or purchase future updates???

Indeed. With Kia and Hyundai offering so much free source to us in the aftermarket I find it hard to believe that the software is expensive or hard to access. I have been told that with the Cardaq M you can use Kia and Hyundai's softwares for free and essentially have yourself very near a factory level tool. Also, my understanding is that somehow or another Snap-On is involved in the Kia/Hyundai scan tool platforms... or at least my rep said this was the case. So why does it seem we are so far behind with a $10K scanner?

Comment

• Orevin
                        • Aug 2010

Indeed. With Kia and Hyundai offering so much free source to us in the aftermarket I find it hard to believe that the software is expensive or hard to access. I have been told that with the Cardaq M you can use Kia and Hyundai's softwares for free and essentially have yourself very near a factory level tool...

Not true. Calibration files and the software to do reflashing with a J2534 tool are free.

The OE scan tools are sold by GIT: http://www.gitauto.com/neweng/02_h_1.asp
                        Last edited by Orevin; 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM.
                        -Kai-
                        Chicago, IL

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Also, my understanding is that somehow or another Snap-On is involved in the Kia/Hyundai scan tool platforms... or at least my rep said this was the case. So why does it seem we are so far behind with a $10K scanner?
                          I was told that by my Snappy rep also. Seems someone at Headquarters needs to set the record straight with the Reps. How could Snappy be involved with the Kia/Hyundai tooling, when we don't even have basic info?
                          S. Breland

Comment

• Rickee
                            • Dec 2011

I prefer to use the standard acronyms- DSAB for the Driver 'Side Airbag', and DAB for the Driver's Airbag in the horn pad. It makes them a little less confusing that way. PAB and PSAB for the other side of the car. Also, very few of the Hyundais had SRS data available on the factory tool, that I remember, so it probably won't be available on the SnapOn tools. That information just isn't in the data stream of the SRS controller.

Comment

• Rickee
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by sbreland73
                              I was told that by my Snappy rep also. Seems someone at Headquarters needs to set the record straight with the Reps. How could Snappy be involved with the Kia/Hyundai tooling, when we don't even have basic info?
                              Back in the day, there was a Hyundai version of the MT2500 as the factory scantool. That was many years ago, though. The Carman tool that was mentioned does have a version for the Hyundais as a "lite" factory tool. Currently, the factory Hyundai scan tool is a Panasonic Toughbook, and there is a disc available for PCs. Be sure to use the proper disc, there is a version for the Toughbook factory tool, and a version for adding to a PC; differences in drivers on the disc make them incompatible if the wrong selection is made.

Comment

Working...