Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

2017 looks busy

Every monthly auto repair magazine I've read in the last year has had articles expressing concerns about the technician shortage. I also attended a Ford Powerstroke class last week and learned a lot about the 3 older versions and the newer 6.7L. The instructor stated that there will be more modules sharing the same network, more emission related sensors, and more frequent service intervals for the newer 6.7L. Lastly, I read an article in the Wall Street Journal that stated currently the American public is driving more than ever and the average age of automobiles on the road will increase from 11 years to 16 years by 2021. Good luck everyone and I hope you all see healthy growth in 2017!
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Have you ever stopped to think of what the future is really going to be like in 10 or 15 years. I think the death of the internal combustion engine is imminent. Maybe 50% electric in 10 years. The aftermarket may not be at all prepared. think about it. No more radiators, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, belts, hoses, brakes (mostly regenerative), spark plugs, coils, injectors or exhaust. I guess it depends on how fast battery technology moves ahead.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Probably still have cooling fans, cooling systems with antifreeze and some sort of heat ex-changer radiators to deal with. Electric cars are all internal combustion when they catch fire . When the entire power grids fail and most folk are sweltering in the dark , Red Necks in Coal Rolling Diesel 4X4s will declare open season on Electric cars .

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by greasybob
        Have you ever stopped to think of what the future is really going to be like in 10 or 15 years. I think the death of the internal combustion engine is imminent. Maybe 50% electric in 10 years. The aftermarket may not be at all prepared. think about it. No more radiators, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, belts, hoses, brakes (mostly regenerative), spark plugs, coils, injectors or exhaust. I guess it depends on how fast battery technology moves ahead.
        As a child of the 50's and 60's,I'm still waiting for the flying cars we were told everyone would be driving by the year 2000...
        The electrics still have a long way to go,especially in our colder climates.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glide
          As a child of the 50's and 60's,I'm still waiting for the flying cars we were told everyone would be driving by the year 2000...
          The electrics still have a long way to go,especially in our colder climates.
          You watched The Jetsons TOO-!!!

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I used to dread the day that Robo-Cops would pull me over in a FWD Ford powered by methane from Pig Sh@t for a red light ticket, now I just dread getting one by mail from a red light camera.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
              I used to dread the day that Robo-Cops would pull me over in a FWD Ford powered by methane from Pig Sh@t for a red light ticket, now I just dread getting one by mail from a red light camera.
              Wouldn't it be worse if the wife caught you in the red light district-??

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Wouldn't it be worse if the wife caught you in the red light district-??
                Sure would be bad. I would likely have to order a genuine Robo Cop replacement Pass Through device from China.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Sure would be bad. I would likely have to order a genuine Robo Cop replacement Pass Through device from China.
                  They allow you a "PASS"-?? As in Out-Alone-Unsupervised-??

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

They allow you a "PASS"-?? As in Out-Alone-Unsupervised-??
                    Not what I was taking about Crusty. I meant the wife would likely go all Bat Sh@t Loreena Bob@tch and cut off my pass through device.

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Not what I was taking about Crusty. I meant the wife would likely go all Bat Sh@t Loreena Bob@tch and cut off my pass through device.
                      I knew I shouldn't have given you a straight line....

Comment

• dodge90
                        • Oct 2014

slow times

Not sure how you guys are doing but my neck of the woods work is SLOW and its everybody so it's not like we did anything wrong. Seems yea, the newer cars are lasting a lot longer and most people are taking care of them better, I say most cause I just did a motor that a guy ran with no oil, got another one, person drove overheating until it shut off. don't need to do tune-up's like we used to, valve jobs, head gaskets, t-chains ect like in yrs ago Heck even front end parts except maybe the sway bar end links don't realy go bad. New tecks need to be computer savy with all the electrical and computers these days.
                        I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• Estandfes0
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by dodge90
                          Not sure how you guys are doing but my neck of the woods work is SLOW and its everybody so it's not like we did anything wrong. Seems yea, the newer cars are lasting a lot longer and most people are taking care of them better, I say most cause I just did a motor that a guy ran with no oil, got another one, person drove overheating until it shut off. don't need to do tune-up's like we used to, valve jobs, head gaskets, t-chains ect like in yrs ago Heck even front end parts except maybe the sway bar end links don't realy go bad. New tecks need to be computer savy with all the electrical and computers these days.
                          Near opposite is true about suspension here in Michigan! Our roads absolutely destroy these vehicles... i'm getting GM trucks with wasted ball joints as new as 2012, less than 80k miles on them... Don't know if its quality of the product... or how nasty our roads are...

Either way, we've been jammin pretty good this year so far... and the tax return rush has just now began to flow in. Hopefully we'll continue to have good prospects for this year... looking to leave this shop here soon, and open one with a coworker.

Comment

Working...