Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sniperfi
    • Nov 2015

Verus Pro D10 SSD Hard Drive Upgrade

I have read that several owners of the Verus Pro older version of upgrading the standard hard drive to a solid state, which helped decrease boot up time. Can this update be performed on the Verus Pro D10?
    Last edited by Sniperfi; 12-06-2016, 10:11 AM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think you meant to say reduce the boot up time

Comment

• superbovine
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Sniperfi
      I have read that several owners of the Verus Pro older version of upgrading the standard hard drive to a solid state, which helped decrease boot up time. Can this update be performed on the Verus Pro D10?
      I put a Samsung Evo 250gb in my D10 and it cut the full boot up time from a range of 3:45-5:00 down to 1:00-1:30. Major improvement.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Yes that's 3 times faster. You would think that if these things cost 10 grand 10 years ago when they were new, for that kind of money they should have come standard with a cutting edge SSD and a quad core processor in them way back when the technology was fresh but pricey as hell. my bad, Verus Pro been out around 7 years.
        Last edited by Witsend; 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• knowquest
          • Jan 2017

Hey guys, nubie to the forums, trying to upgrade the EEMS323 (448VER-002981) Gen1 Verus, after cloning uninitialized, then initialized and formatted Samsung EVO850SSD(V-NAND) SATAIII versus can't find OS after red "V" screen used Power Dock first then Apricorn, then Acronis Disc Director, then a visit to frys, the Tech suggested going to a Gen II SATA, any suggestions

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Damn, Waiting too late until the original hard drive is already on it's death bed before you decide to clone it , you likely just not be making a silicone copy of a Zombie , but a silicone copy of a Zombie on steroids.

Comment

• knowquest
              • Jan 2017

the original drive works fine, just want to update for faster bootup, and more rugged for field use (no spinning discs), does the generation of SATA I,II,II make a difference?

Comment

• Spoooolin
                • Jun 2016

I just put a Samsung evo 250gig in mine. (I removed a seagate 250HDD)

The cloning was SUPER easy, I went to frys, asked the computer guys and they gave me this:

Take the old hard drive out, plug it into the sata source1 , take new ssd out of the box and plug it into sata2 target.

plug the unit it and flip the switch to on, once both red LED's turn solid, press and hold the blue clone button for three seconds and it will start the clone process. took about 45-60min to get all done. when all the blue LED's are solid, turn the unit off and its done.

I plugged the SSD into the verus, fired right up, no issues at all. boot time went from 2:47secs to less than 60secs. (from being off, to the diag suite being fully loaded and functional)

Very easy to swap the hard drives, and even easier to clone. for the 150 bucks I spent on this, worth every penny!!

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

In the long run putting an SSD in something running older system like Windows XP that does not natively support something called TRIM I believe the SSD is just going to become quickly cluttered up with what would otherwise just be temporary internet files that normally get erased on a mechanical drive but build up and eventually Constipate SSDs where you likely may need to remove Format and reinstall the image every 6months or so, and I don't think those fragile ribbons connectors inside can handle too many removals of the drives either. Make sure the fan works and processor are clean of lint. Maybe max out the ram and call it a day.

Comment

• Spoooolin
                    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Witsend
                    In the long run putting an SSD in something running older system like Windows XP that does not natively support something called TRIM I believe the SSD is just going to become quickly cluttered up with what would otherwise just be temporary internet files that normally get erased on a mechanical drive but build up and eventually Constipate SSDs where you likely may need to remove Format and reinstall the image every 6months or so, and I don't think those fragile ribbons connectors inside can handle too many removals of the drives either. Make sure the fan works and processor are clean of lint. Maybe max out the ram and call it a day.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-th...-state-drives/
                    I am deff. not a computer guy, so all this is going a little over my head. I know people who have used an SSD in their device, but dont know the long term about them.

Heres to hoping I dont run into any issues! but if I do, I have my factory hard drive still.

Comment

• scottmechanics
                      • Jun 2013

Ssd

Hello
                      I fitted a 250gb ssd 2 years ago have had 4 software up grades from
                      Snapon ( in fact I have had more problems with the scope failing) no problems with the verus pro yet works great , love it
                      When I was loaned a verus pro when my verus & scope were being checked by snapon I forgot how much slower it is ,
                      At the end of the day you can always put the old hard drive back in

Comment

• Spoooolin
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by scottmechanics
                        Hello
                        I fitted a 250gb ssd 2 years ago have had 4 software up grades from
                        Snapon ( in fact I have had more problems with the scope failing) no problems with the verus pro yet works great , love it
                        When I was loaned a verus pro when my verus & scope were being checked by snapon I forgot how much slower it is ,
                        At the end of the day you can always put the old hard drive back in
                        Thank you man. Thats what I wanted to know. I fitted a good quality samsung SSD hoping that increases the chances of this swap being successful.

Thanks for the post Scott!

Comment

• Nandor690
                          • Jul 2013

You know these Verus Pro D10 models actually come factory with a 500 GB hard drive. If you look at the hard drive with different software you will actually find 233 GB of unallocated space on the end of the hard drive. Just format it and you'll have an extra 233 GB of space to use for what ever you want

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nandor690
                            You know these Verus Pro D10 models actually come factory with a 500 GB hard drive. If you look at the hard drive with different software you will actually find 233 GB of unallocated space on the end of the hard drive. Just format it and you'll have an extra 233 GB of space to use for what ever you want
                            Not true for all units, some have smaller drives. Also, the Snapon restore image is located in this un-allocated space, so if you format it, you will loose the restore option, and have to send the unit in, or have your Snapon dealer re-install the software.

20170302-1313-1.jpg
                            S. Breland

Comment

• Scott_65
                              • Mar 2012

I have been concerned with TRIM as well since an OS upgrade won't be coming to these units. It's the main thing that has kept me from doing the upgrade. I believe there are some utilities for certain brands of drives that claim to handle the TRIM functions, and probably some independent brands of software as well but I haven't had time to determine which is best.

So I'm curious to know how others are dealing with this issue. Anyone of you that have purchased these SSD's, did it have any native software to keep the drive clean for operating systems that didn't do it in house (XP in this case)?

Comment

Working...