Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cardoctor6455
    • May 2011

Programming ford keys.

So yesterday i get an 07 ford explorer with a check engine light and customer wanted another key programmed to the vehicle. I scan the vehicle and get code p0420. Diagnosed code p0420 found defective bank 1 converter. I decided to use my modis instead of the vcm to program the key. It went through the 10 minute timer then it just freezed up and siaid please wait. Tried it several times before i decided to just use my vcm. Has anyone had issues with using there snap on scanners to program keys. So far ive had sucess proramming keys on the ford taurus and five hundred vehicles.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Maybe , hook up the battery charger to vehicle to keep battery voltage from dropping before going into any PATS 10 minute security access wait, not after you are already into it.

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

I had success programing a 2006 exploder. like witsend said make sure you have a battery maintainer to maintain the voltage.

Comment

• ephratah service center
        • Oct 2007

I had no problems doing an 05 ford 500 I hooked up my boost pack during the process.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I'm wondering about The "Clone" Keys that so many places seem to be creating from a single working key now , if they create PATS key programming problems after a key erase or what, and how to get around the problems and if you can visually distinguish a clone key blank from regular aftermarket PATS key that can be programmed to have a unique ID, not just stay a clone of a key ID that was already erased and no longer work
          Last edited by Witsend; 11-17-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• cardoctor6455
            • May 2011

Got another explorer last night for key programming. Tried programming with battery charger connected during the whole process. Had the same issue again where all the scan tool did was just say please wait.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Check the integrity of terminals of DLC connector on vehicle, check integrity of all the pins of the scanner cable , If using a wireless VCI , try USB cabling between the scan tool and VCI to insure no bytes go missing to put the pieces of code together. Check that the key letter on the blank that your parts guy supplied and cut for you matches the letter on the one working key the customer drove the vehicle to your shop with. ( if that single working key is not already some BS aftermarket clone that probably cannot be programmed in a conventional PATS key programming process). If I worked at dealer and have IDS , I wouldn't waste my time with a Hit or Miss aftermarket tool especially if I haven't made guarantee yet because I'm playing with my aftermarket side job tool waiting for multiple 10 minute security access
              Last edited by Witsend; 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

even with the ford ids you have a 10 minute security access wait time. I'm wondering if its just the keys not responding. were did you get the keys from?

Comment

Working...