X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Aftermarket Battery Registration in late model BMW

I was wondering with a Snap On Scanner that the process of registering an aftermarket lead acid replacement battery to a 2010 / 2011 E series (E90)BMW is possible, and whether or not it is straight forward no BS, no Gobblely GooP procedure, like choosing battery type, AGM or lead acid , group size , Cold cranking amps, and amp hours?
    Jeez WTF is this Cr@p ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 12-13-2016, 06:24 PM.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Where it says "battery TROBLE-free" in the third picture, is that Chinglish or German-??

Comment

• crackerclicker
      • May 2008

With Snap On you can register an aftermarket battery, but you can't retrofit a battery (ie. switching from lead-acid to AGM).

Harvey has a video in this thread:

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Where it says "battery TROBLE-free" in the third picture, is that Chinglish or German
        LOL, Port Freight 08 reads like a Jackie Chan impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Maybe that BMW Jedi guy has a battery light saber that can shed more light on this issue. Right now the car thinks it has a 80Amp hour battery that was changed at 144,000K but the odometer reads in miles. I took a 15 month old 95 amp hour battery out and installed a customer supplied 150A hr battery of a larger size, the car was able to fit. The BMW parts guy says the biggest ones they stock are 105 Amp hour. you would think the process would be made easy like entering battery specs into a digital battery analyzer and call it a day.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by crackerclicker
          With Snap On you can register an aftermarket battery, but you can't retrofit a battery (ie. switching from lead-acid to AGM).

Harvey has a video in this thread:

http://members.iatn.net/forums/searc...tion&kw=N12413
          Battery construction/Ah rating can be retrofitted on some models with latest software bundle.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
            LOL, Port Freight 08 reads like a Jackie Chan impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Maybe that BMW Jedi guy has a battery light saber that can shed more light on this issue. Right now the car thinks it has a 80Amp hour battery that was changed at 144,000K but the odometer reads in miles. I took a 15 month old 95 amp hour battery out and installed a customer supplied 150A hr battery of a larger size, the car was able to fit. The BMW parts guy says the biggest ones they stock are 105 Amp hour. you would think the process would be made easy like entering battery specs into a digital battery analyzer and call it a day.
            Who makes a 150 Ah battery?

The battery registrations are recorded in KM, and most tools can convert them to Miles as desired, or you may have to do some math for yourself 8^)

The Ah rating is the ONLY rating that matters where BMW is concerned. Also, make sure you are using the same chemistry (lead-acid/AGM), or problems will develop.

If you have access to the 'as built information' for a specific BMW/MINI VIN (this information is actually in the vehicle, but few scan tools are equipped to provide it for you), you can see what the vehicle was shipped with, and 99.9% of the time, this is what should be installed, registered and coded as required.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Who makes a 150 Ah battery?
              I posted the picture of The label of duralast gold battery the customer supplied that autozone would not put in. Reserve Capacity says 150 , so I figure it is amp hours , but might be wrong.

The battery registrations are recorded in KM, and most tools can convert them to Miles as desired, or you may have to do some math for yourself 8^)
              Never did a battery registration , and probably could have just said "OK Google" to my phone, but frankfurtly didn't give a damn about last battery amp hour and service mileage, just expected to see a quick easy user friendly menu pop up on Port Freight 08 to see and enter new specs and get the lady out the door.

I tried to view the video link after I signed in to IATN but old posts could not view unless I upgrade from basic membership.

I found a video on you tube of a guy using DIS program and it still looks like a pain to get the hang, and the guy had to go into some NCIS Expert Cadaver list to find and edit the battery type.It's ridiculous.
              Skip to the 6 minute mark

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                • Feb 2012

I posted the picture of The label of duralast gold battery the customer supplied that autozone would not put in. Reserve Capacity says 150 , so I figure it is amp hours , but might be wrong.
                Maybe 8^)

Never did a battery registration , and probably could have just said "OK Google" to my phone, but frankfurtly didn't give a damn about last battery amp hour and service mileage, just expected to see a quick easy user friendly menu pop up on Port Freight 08 to see and enter new specs and get the lady out the door.
                Well then, the service is not complete, nor is it correct, and quite frankly, becomes a dis-service to the customer (and the industry).

I tried to view the video link after I signed in to IATN but old posts could not view unless I upgrade from basic membership.

I found a video on you tube of a guy using DIS program and it still looks like a pain to get the hang, and the guy had to go into some NCIS Expert Cadaver list to find and edit the battery type.It's ridiculous.
                Skip to the 6 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id98UpYCrD4
                Definitely not the easy way to do this 8^)

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Got to wonder if the same Spirit of The original Enigma Machine goes into every E Series car, so a mechanic is challenged and can feel like an engineer , even after coding a battery?

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                    • Feb 2012

Got to wonder if the same Spirit of The original Enigma Machine goes into every E Series car, so a mechanic is challenged and can feel like an engineer , even after coding a battery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb44bGY2KdU
                    Have you played with any "F" or "G" cars yet?

"E" cars are so.... old.

8^)

Comment

• crackerclicker
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
                      Battery construction/Ah rating can be retrofitted on some models with latest software bundle.
                      Aha thanks, I am behind an update.

Comment

Working...