CSI: Inside the Verus

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krang00
    • May 2015

Well, I was able to take a fan out of an old graphics card and get that working but now I think something happened to the screen.

I can hear the unit start (windows sound) and the LED lights all come on. When it starts the screen is grey and then when it gets into Windows it seems to turn brighter white.

I noticed the connector on the motherboard seemed loose so I hot-glued it down but still no dice. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

tough call

I would remove the battery and disconnect the connector from the MOBO and tape it out of harms way from shorting against anything and make sure the loose MOBO connector doesn't move where circuit MOBO circuit paths can cross one another and just use an external monitor or 10" screen over the existing one like Scott Mechanic did with a Modis. Otherwise it's a tough call to get a new MOBO for an old Verus if you can buy a Maxi Sys Pro for the kind of money to have it repaired

Comment

• krang00
        • May 2015

Upon further investigation I found one of the pins is disconnected from the connector (which is super flimsy as it is). So, I removed the hot glue and am going to try soldering it back on tomorrow.

I was able to boot the system with an external monitor and it works great. I can even press on the screen and the mouse moves on the external monitor, ha!

Someone put an external 10" touch screen on top??? Got a link to that thread?

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by krang00
          Upon further investigation I found one of the pins is disconnected from the connector (which is super flimsy as it is). So, I removed the hot glue and am going to try soldering it back on tomorrow.

I was able to boot the system with an external monitor and it works great. I can even press on the screen and the mouse moves on the external monitor, ha!

Someone put an external 10" touch screen on top??? Got a link to that thread?
          Scott installed a 10 inch screen on his Modis Elite. You can find links to his video on pages 2 & 3 of the thread linked below. See

If the connector is buggered up, you could try soldering the screen directly to the motherboard. You can always install an aftermarket connector(s) inline, if that works.

Charlie
          PS How about posting a photo or two of this area.

Comment

• scottmechanics
            • Jun 2013

Modis picture

A look at the modis
            Attached Files

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Cute stuffed ogre. I was hoping for a photo [close up] of the area with the damaged connector.

Charlie

Comment

• scottmechanics
                • Jun 2013

Oops

Sorry Charlie
                Hope it cheers up the day

Comment

• SuperiorAutoOne
                  • Jun 2015

Chaskuss
                  Here are a couple of photos and a link to a site that lists the fan, just out of stock, possibly out of production. http://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--28...2DM-parts.html The fan blades themselves are about 46 MM diameter with a 10MM thickness to the assembly.

My Verus has also become a doorstop, and doing some investigation, I found this cpu fan in two pieces.

Whereas it is a three wire connector, possibly the third wire is a reference wire to signal the fan is actually running? Maybeeeeee, since the fan is junk, no ref signal, the Verus won't start up as a way of saving itself from overheating the cpu? Maybe ? hopefully? haha It would be worth a 15.00 test for a new fan before this Verus will be dumped. Hopefully the processor hasn't been damaged already, but I think internal overheat protections would have kicked in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andy
                  Attached Files

Comment

• SuperiorAutoOne
                    • Jun 2015

Follow up...

"CPU Cooling Fan

The tach signal not only provides rpm information but also indicates the operational state of the fan. If the rpm value is low or absent, then the computer will fail the power-on self-test (POST), and will not start. However, manufacturers sometimes leave a by-pass option.

Engineers usually become aware of the tach signal and different standards when looking for a replacement CPU cooling fan. If you have a fan that has failed, or are replacing it with a quieter one, then the CPU Cooling Fan Replacement article also has information of interest."

A resource found on the internet, so it must be true.... haha

I will need to find a fan that will at least plug in to see if this thing will start, and worry about the mounting mods later.

This unit has already been sent to Snap on for diagnosis, and they came back saying it needed a hard drive, without even cracking open the case. (warranty tampering stickers untouched). In my checking yesterday, the HD is spinning up, just no activity showing up on the indicator light, no screen display, no start up "dings"... Sooooo maybe this fan failed the "POST" as described above? And that is what is keeping it from running? Thoughts?

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Andy,
                      Since your fan is of the 3 wire variety, the lack of seeing the tach signal from that fan may be preventing the unit from powering up [To prevent damage from overheating] More info regarding 3 & 4 wire computer fans can be found below.

Kang00,
                      I was asking to see a photo of your motherboard. A close up of the area of the damaged fan connector. It may be possible to cut the connector off of a new fan and hard solder it to the board to repair your unit.

Charlie

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Since your fan is of the 3 wire variety, the lack of seeing the tach signal from that fan may be preventing the unit from powering up [To prevent damage from overheating] More info regarding 3 & 4 wire computer fans can be found below.
                        PCB Heaven! Electronic theory, schematic circuits and PIC tutorials

Since the board and fan appear to work off 12VDC , maybe even lower 5V , can't see why you wouldn't be able to determine the 12 V power supply is good or not ,that the ground is being switched on using a DVOM maybe a scope for the graphing meter.
                        Because of this post, I decided to blow all the dust out of my desktop PC treat the one empty ram slot to another 4GB of ram and ending up searching and finding a used one by part number, because it had a less common spec than what is commonly sold now .
                        Last edited by Witsend; 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Philip600rr
                          • Aug 2013

O. G. Verus memory upgrade

Good luck finding a memory chip that will work. I went to Frys, Best Buy, Amazon, even local computer repair business. All of them are too big and will block the heatsink from being installed. EBay had it but I'm not paying$100.00 and they were not done biding!

Comment

• Philip600rr
                            • Aug 2013

SSD reimage

2009 VERUS 1ST. GEN. 2013 SOFTWARE. I used samsung ssd software for cloning. It failed. need to send it out for reimaging. Its cheap, under $200.OO SUPRISING!

Comment

• rjbradlow
                              • Dec 2015

Don't Forget the THERMAL PASTE!!!

After reading this article and looking at the exposed chips under the heat sink, I noticed no instructions for cleaning off the old and applying new Thermal Paste.

WOW!! That's gonna hurt when you send it in after it starts crashing and eventually Dies.
                              ... Oh I see you modded your unit, hmmm. Cha-Ching!!!

SO... Here's a little tip for under $10 from me to you that will save you the expense of a mainboard or a New Verus.

Buy some Thermal Paste!!!

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

Comment

• rjbradlow
                                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Philip600rr
                                Good luck finding a memory chip that will work. I went to Frys, Best Buy, Amazon, even local computer repair business. All of them are too big and will block the heatsink from being installed. EBay had it but I'm not paying$100.00 and they were not done biding!
                                ummm... Just Google: 2GB DDR2 200 pin
                                and click the "Shopping" link.

Comment

Working...