X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Obsolete platforms

Ive got a fairly well equipped old MT2500 set up with the later black programmable cartridges and most adapters and keys needed for domestic Asian and European good through 2005, but the scanner body and LCD display look beat from years of use at a tune up shop, though still working fine has seen better days with some dark spots on display.
    I know unlike Solus and newer platforms , at least the red cartridges of a MT2500 could be bought and sold and then used in other MT 2500s without problems, issues, am I right right? What about the Programmable black cartridges of a MT2500 and using them in the latter MTG 2500 (Graphing scanner) I see some old MT2500 G s in much better cosmetic condition than my old MT2500, but I don't know if the MTG2500 had started getting Anally Proprietary about what gets shoved into it yet?
  • GM guy
    • Dec 2006

Mt2500

The black cartridges can be used in any Mt2500 body, any variety; mtg etc.

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

The one advantage the Brick has over any of the scan platforms since is that
      if you have a bug in your new update, you could simply plug in a previous cartridge and get back to work.

I honestly believe there is a way to so engineer the software, at least on the Verus and Verdict platforms to allow the user multiple versions of software on the same tool. If possible, it would benefit everyone - the mechanic could get back to work and could therefore be more patient with the Snap On crew
      taking a little pressure off them so they could get more done, and it would give another incentive to buy one of the high end scanners.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I think the the software writers should just clone the OE software

instead of being like students having to worrying about having to rewrite it all different. and cite all their information sources etc. as not to Plagerize someone and getting butt hurt about 2 cent royalties and not being quoted right.
        I could give a Rats *ss about a little Chinglish or about a possible security hole where someone with cloning software might be able to become a Mini Me and scan for Free on another unit. I just like to see all the holes in software of cars 5 years or older ( than the Update level of scanner software ) , continually patched up for free by internet for life kind of like the broken software is now treated like a hand tool that gets a new ratchet mechanism if it is made missing a tooth or something

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wheel
          The one advantage the Brick has over any of the scan platforms since is that
          if you have a bug in your new update, you could simply plug in a previous cartridge and get back to work.

I honestly believe there is a way to so engineer the software, at least on the Verus and Verdict platforms to allow the user multiple versions of software on the same tool. If possible, it would benefit everyone - the mechanic could get back to work and could therefore be more patient with the Snap On crew
          taking a little pressure off them so they could get more done, and it would give another incentive to buy one of the high end scanners.
          I have been doing this very thing since 8.4 as in making an image of the HDD, before and update. If I find an issue with the new software, I can quickly roll back to a previous version to compare with or to just get the job done.
          S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
            I have been doing this very thing since 8.4 as in making an image of the HDD, before and update. If I find an issue with the new software, I can quickly roll back to a previous version to compare with or to just get the job done.
            I'll bet a lot of gen 1 Verus owners wish they had done that with their 10.2 software.

Actually, unless or until Snap On does do something where multiple software versions can co-exist on the same partition - your workaround or something like it is the best we have. I have toyed with the idea of another partition on which to put another version of the software and set it up for dual boot but am not sure what results I would have or if it would be worth it to me or not.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if it could be arranged for two or more versions to co-exist on the same partition. If one version didn't do as needed,
            the other could be switched to quickly and it's back to work quickly.
            Also, if both versions could be used at the same time, it would make it easier to use the scanner and scope simultaneously than the clunky, clumsy, user unfriendly incomplete way it has to be done now. If I understood something I once heard correctly, one of the Verus' original purposes of being was to be able to use both simultaneously - something it has yet to be really good at.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...