Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cpierson34
    • Sep 2016

Kia new ECM programming

I have another shop asking about programming new virgin ECM for a 2009 Kia Rondo. Is this something I can do with PTP3.

Thank you
    Chad
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

I have only done PCM programming updates. Very easy to download program, install and connect to car. What I don't know for sure is, when it's new, if you have to do Anti-theft, which according to their website, requires u to have a LSID. And how you do this, who knows bc the program I used to update the PCM's doesn't have any option to do antitheft. I assume that requires the full GDI Software which has all the modules to do whatever you want. You should check with kia before programming since you may get stuck with a no star bc of antitheft. Good Luck

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

I have only done updates on Kia's as well so I'm not sure either. I do know you can not have Hyundai and Kia on the same PC unless you have it partitioned and they are on different ones. A call to Kia will tell you for sure

Comment

• cpierson34
        • Sep 2016

According to Alldata, it says nothing about antitheft. I called 2 different phone numbers for Kia & they could not give me any information. The other questions I also have is did you guys use windows 7 for Kia & is it ok if I have the Ford FJDS & Volvo Vida loaded on my laptop if I do attempt to program the virgin ECM?

Thank you
        Chad

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

I have ford honda chevrolet all in my windows 7 64 bit laptop. No problems installing KIA or after I programmed PCM. That's what I used to update. The program is cheap, so why not? That's what I say! Also, you have to register before you can actually buy it.

Comment

• cpierson34
            • Sep 2016

Yes, why not!! I like your attitude Toltecas. I am going to try it & will post back what happens. Thanks again for all your replies.

Chad

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

Awesome! This is how I personally learned to program/flash modules. No one taught me anything, I just went along with it and plenty trial and errors. Luckly I have never damaged any and I say 80% of them went through, the other 20% are usually other problems not related to programming/flashing. So good luck and let us know if you had to do anti-theft or not. That I would love to know.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                • Apr 2016

you might try call drew technologys and ask them they made ptp3 its just rebadged snap on

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Can you trust the other shop's diagnosis of a bad PCM ? What caused the original pcm to go bad? Has the causative failure that consequentially took out the pcm been found and fixed yet so the new one isn't ruined also when you plug it in? Things to consider before getting too excited about sacrificing a virgin to the Turd burner. You might want to offer up cheap sacrificial ECM from a junkyard whore and do a VIN rewrite and program the keys with a Chinaman tool as an alternative. you still want to stabilize the battery voltage somehow .
                  Last edited by Witsend; 02-21-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Tech10
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by cpierson34
                    I have another shop asking about programming new virgin ECM for a 2009 Kia Rondo. Is this something I can do with PTP3.

Thank you
                    Chad
                    I believe the Kia J2534 app is for updating the powertrain modules only, you will need at minimum to write the VIN to it and depending if the vehicle in question has immobilizer/antitheft then that will need to be learned. Since the PCM is New/Virgin you will only need the vehicle pin code and all current keys to complete the Key Teaching.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• cpierson34
                      • Sep 2016

*** UPDATE ***

Ok, finally got vehicle in & was actually able to write VIN with snap on scan tool. Done!! Also did NOT have to do anything with anti theft. Hope this helps with someone in the future.

Thanks again for all the input
                      Chad

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Ok, finally got vehicle in & was actually able to write VIN with snap on scan tool. Done!! Also did NOT have to do anything with anti theft. Hope this helps with someone in the future.

Thanks again for all the input
                        Chad
                        That's Terrific that the So called new Virgin ECM only needed to have a VIN entered that was accomplished by a Snap On Scanner without aid of a Chinaman tool or a Jbox sub to find where the Information Hole is.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

If that's all you needed to do, then I guess the New PCM comes pre-programmed and all you need to do is write VIN. Please confirm if that's all that you needed to do. Thank you so much for the info!

Comment

• Tech10
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                            If that's all you needed to do, then I guess the New PCM comes pre-programmed and all you need to do is write VIN. Please confirm if that's all that you needed to do. Thank you so much for the info!
                            Read post # 10 for your answer

Comment

Working...