Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrreds
    • Mar 2018

Snap On CF 512mb cards

Can a Snap On CF cartridge for Solus Pro be reused after loading into my scanner? I have V2.7.0, V2.8.0, V2.9.0 - save, trade, throw out ? Thanks for your help !!!
    Mrreds
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think the CF card on the original Solus is the hardrive, the OS and the software works from off the CF card, and that must stay in the Master CF card slot. It does not transfer to anything inside the unit.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mrreds
      Can a Snap On CF cartridge for Solus Pro be reused after loading into my scanner? I have V2.7.0, V2.8.0, V2.9.0 - save, trade, throw out ? Thanks for your help !!!
      Mrreds
      Hi Mrreds, you do need to keep the latest cf card in case your Solus Pro goes wrong.
      The earlier versions can be use in the slot after being formatted so you can save files from the scanner for review later or reference for faults you cured.
      As for trade, once you have loaded it to the scanner it is paired to that one and only that one for life.
      Hope this is useful.

Comment

• Tech10
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Mrreds
        Mrreds
        Yes as kirkbarrow.garage it's best to keep them. I would add that if these CF cards were married to your Solus Pro it's best to keep all of the in a safe place and don't reuse them. The reason is if your internal Solus Pro files ever become corrupt you can reload the software from the married cards and jus in case one CF card fails to work you have other cards to get you going.

Buy a CF card if you need to save files on a CF card. You can also save file internally and then save them to you PC in PC mode connecting the Solus Pro to your PC using the USB cable. This way you can always you can always have space internally to save more files.

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Mrreds & Tech10,

You can't reload an older version of the software into your Solus Pro. Just as kirkbarrow said, if you have an older CF card, you can reformat it to use as a regular CF card for data storage, but you cannot reuse it as your primary software card.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

The Solus-PRO loads the software onto its' memory board. Once the software is downloaded from the CF card, you can remove it. (The ORIGINAL Solus needed the card left in as Witsend says)

Insert a USB stick, then turn the machine ON, tell the machine to save to "Internal" (faster than an external but has some limited space, but enough)

Then when you're done with that testing, checking, under file management you can tell the machine to "move" files to the already inserted USB stick.

The machines internal data storage is then clear for the next vehicle.

The USB stick is lighter to carry to your computer and you can save the files from that vehicle on your computer however you like.

Under "Tools" (I havn't got my Pro here right now) you should be able to "BACKUP TO CF CARD". In the same menu, you should also see "RESTORE FROM CF CARD". This is what the old version cards are useful for.

Comment

• Tech10
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by crackerclicker
              Mrreds & Tech10,

You can't reload an older version of the software into your Solus Pro. Just as kirkbarrow said, if you have an older CF card, you can reformat it to use as a regular CF card for data storage, but you cannot reuse it as your primary software card.
              Yes you can!!! The Solus Pro does not need a CF card to run all files are installed internally.

Comment

• Tech10
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                The Solus-PRO loads the software onto its' memory board. Once the software is downloaded from the CF card, you can remove it. (The ORIGINAL Solus needed the card left in as Witsend says)

Under "Tools" (I havn't got my Pro here right now) you should be able to "BACKUP TO CF CARD". In the same menu, you should also see "RESTORE FROM CF CARD". This is what the old version cards are useful for.
                Crusty you are correct!!! No need to back up since you have the original CF card. All you have to do is choose "Restore from CF card" then it will ask you to insert your CF card. Then you can put ANYONE of the older software cards in it and if it was originally installed on your Solus Pro it will be installed again. You just power it down and next time you turn it on it will install the software version that's on the CF card.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tech10
                  Crusty you are correct!!! No need to back up since you have the original CF card. All you have to do is choose "Restore from CF card" then it will ask you to insert your CF card. Then you can put ANYONE of the older software cards in it and if it was originally installed on your Solus Pro it will be installed again. You just power it down and next time you turn it on it will install the software version that's on the CF card.
                  I really wish SnapOn would make the "backup" and "restore" capability easier on their newer equipment.
                  ANY software on ANY electronic device should be able to be user friendly for these two very basic and fundamental procedures.
                  The much pricier machines have the "image" capability but it doesn't seem to be able to backup the updates that occur as time marches on so someone can get back to where they were recently.
                  There is a reason M/S have the "restore point",,,, software changes can OFTEN have undesirable effects. Update with caution-!!

Comment

• crackerclicker
                    • May 2008

Yes you can!!! The Solus Pro does not need a CF card to run all files are installed internally.
                    I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying you can't go from, for example, 18.2 back to 15.4 version. Am I wrong? I think I tried it unsuccessfully on an old MODIS once.

EDIT: Ok, I see your post to Crusty. I swear I tried that before, but it didn't take. Must have been something on my end.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                      • May 2008

Have you (or Crusty), personally, replaced a newer software level with an older level on a CF card equipped Snappy tool? I'd test it out myself, but I don't have Snappy equipment that uses CF anymore.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
                        Have you (or Crusty), personally, replaced a newer software level with an older level on a CF card equipped Snappy tool? I'd test it out myself, but I don't have Snappy equipment that uses CF anymore.
                        Yes. A few years ago one of the Solus-PRO updates got scrambled somehow. Caused some "unique' issues on a test vehicle (my own)
                        Reverted back to the previous version until things got sorted out. It didn't take long but in the meantime I was still able to use the Solus-Pro to diagnose other vehicles that didn't need the update.
                        THAT'S WHY I wish the BACKUP and RESTORE function was prevalent on newer scanners.
                        They are ALL "software", and software never gets messed up.....(riiiiight)
                        Being "software", they are computers running the software.
                        1st rule of computers..... RTFS
                        2nd rule of computers....BACK UP.
                        3rd rule of computers.... DO NOT TRUST the "new" software until it has been PROVEN to be complete and accurate and RELIABLE
                        The Backup to CF and Restore from CF on the venerable Solus-PRO makes it one of my favorite pieces of kit.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                          • May 2008

Thanks Crusty. I wanted to be completely sure. I've had a rough week of relaying bad info for Snap On diagnostic tools, so I like to have a little confirmation.

Comment

Working...