Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbakers1
    • Oct 2007

Vin Writing a 09 dodge dakota

I'm New to flash programing,I recntly purchaced an actia pass trhu pro.Does any one know if i can program the vin number in a new pcm on a 09 dadge dakota? I have one on monday i have to due.
    also thinking about buying a DRB 3 But heard that they will not work for 09 and newer vehicles. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for any replys.
    jbakers1, Yakima Wa
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
  • Orevin
    • Aug 2010

I don't know if the Actia PTP can write the VIN. If it's a blank PCM, your MODIS might be able to do this.

You are correct, the DRB3 does not work on a 09. It will not work on any CAN vehicle. Here is a link to a Chrysler scan tool chart:
    http://www.oemtools.com/images/Chrys...2_AppChart.pdf

Did you read up on what else needs to be done when replacing the PCM on this truck? I haven't done it myself yet, but I checked on Alldata and the factory scan tool might be required to finish the job.
    -Kai-
    Chicago, IL

Comment

• USpMD
      • Oct 2010

Per Chrysler ;

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control/Installation
      INSTALLATION
      Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

CAUTION: Certain ABS systems rely on having the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) broadcast the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) over the bus network. To prevent problems of DTCs and other items related to the VIN broadcast, it is recommend that you disconnect the ABS CAB (controller) temporarily when replacing the PCM. Once the PCM is replaced , write the VIN to the PCM using a diagnostic scan tool. This is done from the engine main menu. Arrow over to the second page to “1. Miscellaneous”. Select “Check VIN” from the choices. Make sure it has the correct VIN entered before continuing. When the VIN is complete, turn off the ignition key and reconnect the ABS module connector. This will prevent the setting of DTCs and other items associated with the lack of a VIN detected when you turn the key ON after replacing the PCM.

CAUTION: Use a diagnostic scan tool to reprogram the new PCM with the vehicles original identification number (VIN) and the vehicles original mileage. If this step is not done, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may be set.

1. Position PCM (3) to vehicle.
      2. Install three PCM mounting bolts (2).
      3. Tighten bolts to 3-5 N·m (30-40 in. lbs.).

4. Be sure ground strap (4) is secured both at bottom of PCM, and at inner-fender.
      5. Check pin connectors in the PCM. Also check the four 38-way connectors (2) for corrosion or damage. Repair as necessary.
      6. Install the four 38-way connectors (2) to PCM.
      7. Connect negative battery cable.
      8. Use the diagnostic scan tool to reprogram new PCM with vehicles original Identification Number (VIN) and original vehicle mileage. If this step is not done, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may be set.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with the optional Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), if the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) is replaced with a new unit or the PCM , a diagnostic scan tool MUST be used to initialize the new SKREEM and to program at least two Sentry Key transponders before the vehicle can be operated.(Refer to 08 - Electrical/Vehicle Theft Security - Standard Procedure) .

see posts; http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=5236
      "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• jbakers1
        • Oct 2007

Thanks For the info, Do you think my modis will do the vin writing and the odomter. I have ver 11.2?
        jbakers1, Yakima Wa

Comment

• Trindaddy
          • Jan 2010

My Modis has done the VIN easily on older Chryslers with "new" reman PCMs. I think the larger issue for you is the security stuff. Be sure to follow the link you were given above. Wish i could say i've had my chance to confirm the "unplug the SKIM" procedure, but i haven't yet. I do trust the folks who have chimed in on that old post. Let us know how it goes, take your time and read up. So far, my Actia has worked flawlessly.

Comment

• USpMD
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Trindaddy
            My Modis has done the VIN easily on older Chryslers with "new" reman PCMs. I think the larger issue for you is the security stuff. Be sure to follow the link you were given above. Wish i could say i've had my chance to confirm the "unplug the SKIM" procedure, but i haven't yet. I do trust the folks who have chimed in on that old post. Let us know how it goes, take your time and read up. So far, my Actia has worked flawlessly.
            I like you Trindaddy was a skeptic , I have now used it many times("unplug the SKIM"), works great, now if I could just find a way to correct pinion factor without a DRB 3
            "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• jbakers1
              • Oct 2007

I ahve been reading on this j 2534 and have been seeing alot about the drew tech toolbox. Could i download it and make it work with my actia. the actia is the same as the pass tru pro. just thinking that i should have purchaced the drew tech system. Any thoughts?
              jbakers1, Yakima Wa

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jbakers1
                I ahve been reading on this j 2534 and have been seeing alot about the drew tech toolbox. Could i download it and make it work with my actia. the actia is the same as the pass tru pro. just thinking that i should have purchaced the drew tech system. Any thoughts?
                I have already inquired regarding this with DT, the answer is no. Perhaps the biggest drawback is with the skim feature that they offer (you cant use). Otherwise, the rest of the info in the toolbox is already at your disposal. For example:

Comment

• jbakers1
                  • Oct 2007

I have down loaded the toolbox from Drew Tech and i Like the layout and seems that it will let you write vins and erase vin with toolbox.My actia does not have a toolbox . I think im gonna buy drews carDaq plus monday.anybody intrested in my actia?
                  jbakers1, Yakima Wa

Comment

• Trindaddy
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jbakers1
                    I have down loaded the toolbox from Drew Tech and i Like the layout and seems that it will let you write vins and erase vin with toolbox.My actia does not have a toolbox . I think im gonna buy drews carDaq plus monday.anybody intrested in my actia?
                    I'm not sure about this but i believe the cardaq is not compatible with every manufacturer. You should check car man. site for compatability. I remember something about Hyndai.....

Comment

• USpMD
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                      I'm not sure about this but i believe the cardaq is not compatible with every manufacturer. You should check car man. site for compatability. I remember something about Hyndai.....
                      Actualy Hyndai dose support car daq and passthru pro 2 (as it is the same, right down to the firmware now), here is there latest approved list;

Device Manufacturers API DLL Firmware
                      CarDaq Plus Drew Technologies Inc. 4.04 1.9.28 1.9.28
                      ES6510 Vetronix Corporation 4.04 12.00 12.00
                      Sun PassThru Pro 4.04 02.07u 02.07u
                      Snap-on Technologies, Inc.
                      PassThru+ XS I+ME Actia GmbH 4.04 02.07u 02.07u
                      OTTOTEST-VCI OTTO 4.04 1.04 1.34
                      iFlash Blue Streak 4.04 1.04 1.34

Pretty cool.......

Comment

• jbakers1
                        • Oct 2007

Ok, So here is what i learned. new pcms come unprogrammed, Modis will not comunicate due to the error 865? need to have a starMOBILE to complete this Job. Had to take to dealer.How ever i did learn alot about J2534 Programming and was worth my time. Thanks for all the feedback and the other links.
                        jbakers1, Yakima Wa

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Why didn't you use your pass thru to install like we talked about?

Comment

• jbakers1
                            • Oct 2007

From what i understand from the posts that i have been reading the new pcm comes without any program at all, The pass tru will update a program but will not install a new program. If i am mistaken please let me know. on another note i just flashed an 08 duramax desiel tonight, Bought a year subcription to gms site and it was really easy.took less than 30 mins and fixed my problem. Hope i get more like that.
                            jbakers1, Yakima Wa

Comment

• Trindaddy
                              • Jan 2010

Gee, i haven't had the chance to do this one yet but so far i am not aware of any pcms, that are programmable modules, that a J tool can't install (aside of the security drawbacks that some models present). As we discussed, on these, the skim can just be simply disconnected from the network as mentioned. How it flows at techconnect site, i dont know. Do you recall a line for PMI? Well, glad it panned out and your on to another set of questions. Reminds of someone not very long ago....

Comment

Working...