X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I should know better, than trust you tube procedure

I was lazy and just just watched one quick you tube vid to see if it were necessary to statically time the engine at TDC before installing chain tensioner and did a quick install of the aftermarket brand Timing chain tensioner that had no install instructions on a Toyota Engined 04 Pontiac Vibe to fix an oil leak and a chain rattle issue on start up, but aside from the oil leak being fixed the chain guide noise seemed worse than before and takes longer to subside than before. I had her scheduled following evening for a premium oil filter change and synthetic oil change to be sure oil is correct viscosity and get a warranty swap out on the Durascrap chain tensioner that came with no install instructions, but unable to make it following day, 2 weeks has gone by already rattling noisey for a couple minutes and knock wood nothing has jumped time or Hand Grenaded yet.
    I watched some other video and it seems the engine before starting up after installation has to be slowly turned by hand in a counter clock wise direction a little that compresses in plunger enough to unhook the retainer hook that keeps the tensioner in the compressed position. Done these a long time before but forgot that part
    Whats the chance now that after running the engine( a few weeks), that the tensioner be still ok hooked in the install position, just waiting for me to turn the motor counter clockwise before all be fine and Dandy, or just jump time when I try it now? Nah probably Sleppe-Rocked the Turd
    Attached Files
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I believe I checked an older version of Mitchel software for the timing chain tensioner installation on the 2004 Pontiac Vibe and it just mentions to rotate the engine one turn , but neglects to tell you to rotate it a counter clock wise direction.
    The instructions for the 2004 Toyota Matrix does mention to rotate engine in a counterclockwise direction , so maybe You tube is reliable as Mitchel
    Hope the instructions for Pontiac Vibe are clearer now
    Sure glad nothing got SleppeRocked

Comment

Working...