Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default CODE SCAN

I performed a Pre-Scan with my Verus Edge with 19.4 on a 2015 ford explorer. Pre-scan came back stating it analyzed 20 different systems, identified all 20 systems, and recorded any associated fault codes. Very comprehensive and giving me the impression all modules had been accessed. All was great until later I found out the air bag light was on and customer stated that it had illuminated off and on over the last few years. I attempted to communicate with the air bag module directly and found no communication as a result. Most likely internal air bag module fault. Why did the Pre-Scan report not indicate failed comm attempt with restraint module? The Pre-Scan report presented the list of systems that were successfully accessed as if it were the complete list of modules in the vehicle. I would like to see a flag raised during a code scan event if no communication was established with a specific module. I guess I don't read down through each list of pre-scanned systems making sure all modules are present and ask myself if I need to individually scan each one to ensure comms. Isn't the point of the code scan to consolidate all code retrieval attempts into one feature?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 PM

tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I have had this issue too with other makes. like you said. during a complete code scan, it will access x many module, then when you attempt to locate a module individually, its either not there, or does not work properly. Obviously a sw bug. I would gladly report these specific issues but i feel they fall on def ears.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Right or wrong, the way it works is if the scanner pings a module during code scan and doesn't find it, it just skips it. I bet this happens because an aftermarket scanner wouldn't know how any particular car is equipped, so if it doesn't find a seat module, it just doesn't list it in the code scan results. If it did, then it would list every module that the vehicle isn't optioned with. On older vehicles that can be a pain, but thankfully most newer CAN equipped vehicles won't fall victim to that. If the ABS module is off line, then most other modules will have a code for it being missing, and you'll spot it that way.
Joe
Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rappa View Post
Right or wrong, the way it works is if the scanner pings a module during code scan and doesn't find it, it just skips it. I bet this happens because an aftermarket scanner wouldn't know how any particular car is equipped, so if it doesn't find a seat module, it just doesn't list it in the code scan results.Joe
Some OEM scanners often do this as well.If a module doesn't communicate during a scan,and there are no communication codes set, it's as if the module isn't there.
On the other side of the coin, Hyundai's GDS Mobile(tablet) lists every module that is possible on the model/year that is being scanned,and says "no communication,check to see if this system is installed" if /when there is no communication to a module. That can be a pain as well if the Tech is not familiar with that particular vehicle.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:17 PM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I've been bitten by that too. I came to about the same conclusion as Joe Rappa, though I'm sure he states it better. Since it's now something I know to watch out for it's not so big a deal.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:15 AM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've been bitten by that too. I came to about the same conclusion as Joe Rappa, though I'm sure he states it better. Since it's now something I know to watch out for it's not so big a deal.
It's good to see others have had similar experiences. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the CODE SCAN feature. I feel its brilliant and a huge time saver. It just has limitations like everything else. Like GypsyR said I know what to watch for.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

I don't have a current GM scan tool, but this discussion sounds like the GM DBDT would be very useful.
Apparently it will tell you when someone is supposed to be there but isn't responding or active (off line)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I don't have a current GM scan tool, but this discussion sounds like the GM DBDT would be very useful.
Apparently it will tell you when someone is supposed to be there but isn't responding or active (off line)
That's exactly what were talking about.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Data Bus Diagnostic Tool is only available with a GDS2 subscription.It does work well.Other OEMs have similar tools with their factory scan tool software.