Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljordan119
    • Mar 2009

1996 Camry V6 lean O2 sensor

I have a 1996 V6 Camry, that has a lean O2 sensor near the fire wall, bank one. Cylinders 1,3 & 5 are reporting miss fires. It only does this at idle. Taking out on the road clears everything up. O2 sensor volt readings on my Modis are erratic. Mostly .06 to .45 Short Term trim numbers are -1 to -3, Long Term numbers are -14. The other O2 sensor behaving perfectly. Bank one O2 sensor is new. Is there a difference in after market O2 sensors and O2 sensor from Toyota because this a Bosch after market O2 sensor?
  • bandbauto
    • Feb 2009

You should make sure that you have gotten the correct part, an 02 sensor as oppossed to an air/fuel sensor or vice versa. The sensors look identical but operate very differently. If you are not sure call the dealer to get the proper part number or description of wether you have an 02 sensor or an air/fuel. Hope the info. helps, I have been bitten by this particular situation in the past.

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

No Bosch!!!

Originally posted by ljordan119
      I have a 1996 V6 Camry, that has a lean O2 sensor near the fire wall, bank one. Cylinders 1,3 & 5 are reporting miss fires. It only does this at idle. Taking out on the road clears everything up. O2 sensor volt readings on my Modis are erratic. Mostly .06 to .45 Short Term trim numbers are -1 to -3, Long Term numbers are -14. The other O2 sensor behaving perfectly. Bank one O2 sensor is new. Is there a difference in after market O2 sensors and O2 sensor from Toyota because this a Bosch after market O2 sensor?
      Don't use the Bosch O2 sensor, Use an OE or a Denso brand O2 sensor, Wallker sells a Denso sensor repackaged. Asian vheicles don't speak German and can't get along good with a bosch sensor. I've had many issues with toyota and Honda using Bosch sensors, I just go with the OE and I've found that OE sensors are even less expensive. use a Lab Scope and trace the signal, look for a clean sweep from rich to lean look for a good response time of less than 100ms snap the throttle to test, also be careful if the vehicle uses an A/F sensor, you can't scope these sensors, using an OE A/F sensor is the best bet and not aftermarket. An other thing, if the O2 sensor test good on the scope, then check for a exhaust restriction, a restriction will affect the rear bank more than the front back throwing out the fuel trims and most important check for vacuum leaks..
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• craig
        • Mar 2009

yes have found aftermarket o2 sensos can give erratic readings compared to oem.Have also had catalytics plugging causing bad readings as well.

Comment

Working...