Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colliboy
    • Jul 2011

warning from solus pro 11.4

lately when i conect to any VW Audi Skoda Seat i get this mesage/warning "ecu may be disabled or corrupted by incorrect use! Refer to user manual for instructions." Can anyone answer this for me i have looked throught the manual and cant find anything that relates to this mesage/warning i have other isuess with this tool but cant find any help on them> i will add them as the week passes i dont think iam the only one
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

This is true and its been there for a long time. It should read:

This VW/Audi software is a very powerful tool and rivals that of the OE scan tool but since we here at Snap On have not provided you with the needed info to manipulate the expert mode portion of this software either on this device or on Shop Key, you will have no way of knowing what the hell you are looking at or attempting to do therefore, if you insist on blindly using this software, proceed at own risk! See old post. S.O. has never commented.

Share with Snap-on Diagnostics, the additional features that you need or desire in our tools. What do the factory tools do that you absolutely need in your Snap-on tool.

Neil

Comment

• Skip
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2008

I think it is refering to the fact that you have to stop communications before unplugging the scan tool or it could damage the ECU.

Comment

• colliboy
        • Jul 2011

i got prob

Thank you for your replies I use my solus Pro at every opportunity and before this I used my reflex 3130.
        That tool was a total rip.
        Now I beginning to feel the S.O.P is the same.
        I have the latest updates and pay a £60.00 a month to Snap-on I really considering dropping them as there is poor or no help at all and having to pay for the privilege is a total joke
        The original message only appeared after I plugged it into a seat Ibiza that had an intermittent fault with its immobiliser. This vehicle was worked on by a twat he replaced the controls for wipers and flashers behind the steering wheel he did this by removing steering wheel air bag and control sticks WHITH OUT DISCONECTING the battery first what a goat.
        It came to me I plugged in my solus pro and there was a catalogue of fault codes in various systems
        I cleared all codes and done the key recognizing through the driver’s door and the car was ok for a few days.
        Now every time I plug my tool into any vga cars it comes up with this dam warning.
        I read every bit of information that pops up on screen I have looked in through the expert mode and have been reading up on this and what there is out there as S.O don’t really help. When going through expert mode. In parts of it, it informs me to contact vendor for a password? What is that all about I paid good money for this tool only to have someone stop me from using my tool
        Don’t have any problems with other makes and models.

Comment

• dbarnes5654
          • Apr 2007

Here in the States, when we buy the Euro software, we get manuals on the different cars covered. I have a volkswagon manual the has an entire section on expert mode. The number on the back of the manual is EAZ0031B01A rev. A. Maybe if you can get this manual it will help you out a bit. I'm sure the warning, which I get anytime I hook to a VW, Is to warn you to the correct disconnect procedure.

HTH,
          Don

Comment

• Orevin
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dbarnes5654
            Here in the States, when we buy the Euro software, we get manuals on the different cars covered. I have a volkswagon manual the has an entire section on expert mode. The number on the back of the manual is EAZ0031B01A rev. A. Maybe if you can get this manual it will help you out a bit. I'm sure the warning, which I get anytime I hook to a VW, Is to warn you to the correct disconnect procedure.

HTH,
            Don

Volkswagen/Audi Vehicle Communication Software Manual

http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/UserManuals
            -Kai-
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• andybaz
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dbarnes5654

HTH,
              Don

I like this link about manuals , how much if any of it is relevant to the UK market, as CORK supplies our software, i'm sceptical due to lack of support from this end (UK).
              Here we buy the machines, and get on with them, calling on fellow techys on here with experience when we come across a problem.
              In todays world, something as technical as a CODE READER come functional test machine, surely it should come with instructions on how to use correctly.

Give this machine to a VW gent and he know's what he doing on VW but will scratch his head on say a TOYOTA, an vise versa, the TOYOTA techy will fly through the machine and then scratch his head on the VW side of things as an example.

Thats an awfull lot of money WE spend on a code reader and not be able to use it to its full potential.
              Toyota pro tech & ata
              PRESTATYN - RHYL - BUCKLEY & MOLD surrounding area plug in

Comment

• roadracer587
                • Mar 2012

As much as I like my MODIS I rarely use it when I am working on a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda. For these vehicles I use the VCDS from Ross-Tech. This is a PC based scan tool that can be purchased for approximately $350.00 US and is as good if not better than the Factory Scan Tool. In the US the tech support number is manned by extremely well versed techs who can answer all your questions. The interface is simple and it makes working on these vehicles a pleasure. I know that the phone tech support might not be viable for those in Europe but you can use there internet support if it is not an emergency. The website is Ross-tech.com. I hope this helps.
                No one plans to fail, they simply fail to plan!!!

Comment

• Trindaddy
                  • Jan 2010

Is that a dead horse?

I can't resist beating this dead horse. Every time this comes up it seems that everyone who chimes in has apparently not used expert mode much. The "manuals", although generally helpful, are a joke when it comes to expert mode. They effectively lead you into the weeds. I can't bear to go into the details again. Read the link i posted above.

Also, although the way you exit a module may do damage, SO WON'T CHANGING LINES OF CODING WITHOUT VEHICLE SPECIFIC INFO. This is one of the non-permanent ways you can "corrupt" the personality of various modules and if you are foolish enough to not record the original coding number you've just done more harm than good. The fact that S.O. offers an example of the group numbers for use in expert mode is laughable. Once you get in that group you have 4 numbers that you don't know what they mean. Here is an excerpt from the S.O. manual, "For interpretation of the values, refer to the VAG system specific workshop manual". If you think you might find it on S.O. 's Shop Key system...think again. I know i can have a sharp tongue. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big S.O. supporter. When it comes to expert mode though, I know you haven't used it much when you don't call it what it is, promising, but useless. And yes, dangerous.

One final excerpt from manual says it all: "When using Expert Mode, supplemental information found in VAG service manuals is
                  necessary to interpret displayed data values and to know the proper procedure to perform a
                  specific test, coding, or adaptation."

All you need now is a library of OE VW/Audi service manuals and your good to go.
                  Roadracer has sadly given correct and accurate info! My beef is, if Ross-Tech can do it why can't Snap-On?

Comment

Working...