Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drew
    • Nov 2015

thinking of buying verus edge

im a first year asep working in a gm dealership thinking of buying this scan tool and was looking for pros and cons. how user friendly is this, what cars can you excess out of the box and do you have to pay any monthly fees to use like fast traxs and other info..
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

The Verus Edge is an awesome tool (when you own your own shop)

I would just stick to using the dealer level equipment and get yourself a used Solus Pro for your side jobs at home. Until a young guy starting in the Field knows for sure that he loves what he got himself into and not get burned out in the field within a few years and switch to driving trucks for a career, save your money. For the time being outfit yourself with a decent box and the biggest tool cart Port Cargo sells and if you know you are going to stay in the field and you are making good money and doing and learning way more thing than oil changes, flushes and squeaks, rattles, and recalls, then you you treat your self to brand new Snap On Roll cab , storage cart , wrench sets ,and scanners, and relegate the Chinese stuff to side work at home and trips to the salvage yard. You will still have to get yourself a damn good set of extra long zero offset wrenches. Remember You don't have to look for a 7/32 when a 5.5mm works, or a 9/32''where a 7mm works, a 5/16" where a 8mm works, 7/16 where an 11mm do, a 5/8" where a 16mm work, a 3/4 where a 19mm do, a 7/8" where a 22 mm suffices, a 5/16" where a 24mm works and on and on. Have a Great Thanksgiving everyone!
    Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

As Witsend says, pick up a Solus-PRO for a scan tool, or a Solus-ULTRA as another choice for a scanner.

Then pick up a Vantage-PRO 2-channel scope. You'll find very very few times any more than two channels are necessary and even then if you think things out the two channels will do the job just fine.

You'll spend 1/4 the amount and can play a whole bunch. Learn to walk before you run.

Remember, there is no magical wonderful do-all tool that will tell you what's wrong with the vehicle. That's your job.

Use the tools to GATHER INFORMATION, then analyse that information.

The SnapOn tools mentioned are reliable for doing first things first.

Hope to see you here often, asking lots of questions. There is very little "attitude" here compared to some other well known sites. LOTS of good people willing to help anyone.

Comment

• Prezauto
        • Dec 2014

Like the other guys said, save your money and pick up the older platforms to learn with. If they impress you and help you make money you'll be better off. You might even consider a MODIS or original VERUS if you only wish to have one tool. Plus all of the newer tools have similar operation & user interface as the 1st generation VERUS.
        John

Comment

• drew
          • Nov 2015

thanks for the advise, thanks to my 50% school discount i have alot of snap on.mac,and matco tools that are paid off. i do have a krl snap on box and tool cart. i was only thinking of getting a verus edge bc i can get it 50% off and it would allow me to work on other makes that the other mechanic turn away bc they dont have a scan tool, and we have very limited dealer scan tools that you have to hunt down or wait to use it and sense im ASEP student im last inline for everything. WITSEND ill look into the solus pro, does the sill have the frast track i think thats what its called. i liked the ideal of having those suggestion to give me an idea on where to start.

Comment

• Modis500
            • Sep 2012

The older guys on here have it figured out. The Solus Pro and Vantage Pro is the two most dependable tools they have made with no freeze ups and are cheap. I've owned both and they're great. The 50% off is nice, however when you do go to buy one, you'll never pay full boat for one of these tools as they often have discounts or trade in allowances- plus I see too many young guys (25 and under) at snap on training classes with a Verus Pro and they have NO clue how to run it but they bought it because it was the latest greatest out there. These guys on here are smart and are very insightful so take their opinion to heart.
            "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
            Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

thanks for the advise, thanks to my 50% school discount i have alot of snap on.mac,and matco tools that are paid off. i do have a krl snap on box and tool cart. i was only thinking of getting a verus edge bc i can get it 50% off and it would allow me to work on other makes that the other mechanic turn away bc they dont have a scan tool, and we have very limited dealer scan tools that you have to hunt down or wait to use it and sense im ASEP student im last inline for everything. WITSEND ill look into the solus pro, does the sill have the frast track i think thats what its called. i liked the ideal of having those suggestion to give me an idea on where to start.
              Hey wait a minute,Problem is, If you are going to be using any aftermarket brand scan tool and or vantage pro at the dealer level on new model cars and trucks less than 2 years old, you probably going to be SOL finding the coverage for any of them for that new of cars for doing more than pulling generic OBD2codes.LMAO
              I would look into getting a good used Windows 7 laptop (not sure if 32 bit is still recommended)and a GM MDI.Since you work at the dealership as a tech you should have free access to the software and WIFI at your dealership.
              Worked with a young guy at a Ford dealer years ago that didn't want to wait in line to use the shop's NGS and bought a new $3000 MT2500 with latest cartridge that didn't have much more to offer for current year coverage than my $250 Mac Tools generic OBD2code scanner offered.When the guys were all waiting in line to use the new handheld NGS I liked using the big ole SBDS because it would print out the labor operation numbers for all the tests performed on the vehicle to attach to back of RO.By the time the young guy paid off his Snappy MT2500 ,he bought his own NGS about the time the WDS (successor to the NGS) was released LOL
              Last edited by Witsend; 11-27-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...