• Feb 2009

Using the Troubleshooter

Is there any work around to view the "trouble shooter" with
    out the car being hooked up to the scanner? I have a car
    coming in and would like to do some research before it
    arrives. The only way I know to get to the trouble shooter
    is to enter the vehicle information, then plug in the dlc
    and select the scanner. Then it has to do all the
    handshaking before it allows you to see the trouble shooter. Without the car, can this be done?
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by komobu
    Is there any work around to view the "trouble shooter" with
    out the car being hooked up to the scanner? I have a car
    coming in and would like to do some research before it
    arrives. The only way I know to get to the trouble shooter
    is to enter the vehicle information, then plug in the dlc
    and select the scanner. Then it has to do all the
    handshaking before it allows you to see the trouble shooter. Without the car, can this be done?
    It's something we've asked for in the past but as far as I know, no you can't but I wish you could use the troubleshooter that way. That and also go in and see what sub-system tests are available.

It's a very good idea to check as much as you can BEFORE the vehicle arrives so your work flow is more efficient and accurate.

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Access to troubleshooter without the vehicle

I agree Crusty

This is something we and I have asked for since the MT2500 brick. Also it would be nice to be able to ID a vehicle in a demonstration mode so you could go through the list of supported controllers and their various optional test capabilities before a vehicle comes into your shop. For example a customer phones and asks if you can perform a specific function such as a Pats relearn or unlock a GM radio. I would want to know prior to having the customer tow the vehicle to me if I could do this. That's just one example.

The big spreadsheet that Snap-On has listing Codes-Data-Bi-Directional capabilities based on your current software version is not adequate. Maybe if that was improved and expanded on it could be a substitute.

The OTC tools offer this capability. Granted some of the available functions don't work properly but if the particular bi-directional test is not even available on my scanner it definitely won't work.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

As mentioned, We have been asking for quite some time.

Unfortunately as of yet, it still has not happened...

It appears they want to push their SideTrack website with an additional subscription rather than let us see what's already in the tool.

Just like when it ask if you want to see the fix for the code being displayed.

It attempts to take you to the SideTrack website. You have to back out of codes menu and navigate your way to the Trouble shooter.

When I am mobile or not in the Shop near the router. There is no internet connection so the Sidetrack website is completely useless. Beside I don't want to use my tool on the internet. It's too damn expensive for that sort of thing as is the repair if the hard drive becomes damaged from a virus and has to be replaced.

Comment

• quickhitch11
          • Aug 2012

In a couple of instances I set up my cell as a mobile hot spot. Then verus can be used for trouble shooter. Ya have to be careful, but have Avast Pro anti virus on Verus. So far so good. Lost my Solus Pro to virus a while ago, did not have anti virus in it. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...