X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Call tech support, they will give you all the answers
    I think I'll check into it and post back. Just think it would make more sense to be able to borrow or rent the cable from your Snap On guy for the few times a year the majority of automotive techs would have a need to use the Harley Software.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
      Jay

As far as calling Tech support for bug fixes ( missing data, broken tests, incomplete module scan ETC ) the guys at Tech support do their job.
      YOU KNOW the process as well as I do. It is not up to them to fix the software, they report it to the powers that be and it goes off to the developers from there. If there is a known work around they will give it to you and try and help any way they can.

OK, I'll play along....
      How long has the Tech-II had All-Module-Scan for pre-can GM's-???
      (heading for TWO DECADES now...)
      How long has that been NOT AVAILABLE on our equipment-???
      (at least a DECADE....It must be really hard to achieve....)

As far as people not having current software so they wouldn't see it was greyed out. I apologize for that, however if you went to purchase the HD software the Snap-on dealer would have told you what you needed to do to get it. However this just proves my point that if you need technical info you should call tech support because posts here maybe inaccurate or incomplete.
      It's not only "current software", it's also a matter of which platform too....
      There is a REALITY in areas outside of the urban environment.....a reality totally unfathomable to larger locations where the economy of scale makes it possible for shops and techs to have all the latest and greatest equipment and subscriptions.
      Mr Smith in RURAL anywhere.... you can't get your car fixed locally-?? We'll be glad to sell you a new one every two years-!!!

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Jay

What does any of your last post have to do with calling tech support first if you have a question or don't know something or about HD software????? All I'm saying is that it may or will save you some time. If you choose not to, that's fine. If it doesn't work for you, well I'm sorry about that. And you have every right not to call. This post was a question about HD software, I hope I answered the posters question. Once all the other questions came up I suggested to call tech support to save time, but before suggesting this I called first just as a regular customer with some questions and it was handled very well. That was just to satisfy myself that I was suggesting the right thing. This was not a post about software issues on GM's, this is not a post about if you live out in the sticks or in big cities and if the tech has the money to purchase newest software or not. If you would like to discuss those issues maybe you could start your own post so as not to derail others.

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

You are looking at it the wrong way, it is not just for the cable, but for the use of the software too. So $695 is not a lot of money for this level of scanner. They just omitted the unlocking part, one less step. You can’t use the software without the cables. Here is an example of another HD scanner, after checking it out I think you will see $695 is a great deal !!!

https://www.motorcyclescanner.com/pr...nostic-scanner
          Haha, actually that's the one I was thinking of in my first post. I will gladly concede that $695 is better than $1400 as long as you don't have to pay the $695 every time you get a new machine. But I'm also still quite happy I don't need HD software.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Never, I just figured I'd post something that made no sense too
            Actually Steve, you took it sideways yourself. OK for you to say what you wish but not others-?

The discussion was about hardware and software, price, availability. You stating that tech support has all the answers is, and has been, contrary to what others have experienced.

""As far as calling Tech support for bug fixes ( missing data, broken tests, incomplete module scan ETC ) the guys at Tech support do their job.
            YOU KNOW the process as well as I do. It is not up to them to fix the software, they report it to the powers that be and it goes off to the developers from there. If there is a known work around they will give it to you and try and help any way they can.""

For you to tell me this (above quote) stating in BOLD lettering that I know the process, opens up ONE very basic concern that HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED at all, so no, tech support doesn't have all the answers. There are MANY other examples where tech support does NOT have "all the answers".

""Call tech support, they will give you all the answers""

The issue regarding someone seeing something greyed out (or not) would depend on many things, one of which is which piece of kit they are fortunate enough to have, then there is internet availability, costs, demographics and number of vehicles per day/week/month, and if one thinks it through all the way many of those things depend on physically where a shop or person is located so my responses you don't care for are direct responses to your statements.
            If I go onto a SnapOn truck (IF one EVER shows up-!!), I would be asking the service and sales person directly, in person, face to face.
            If they don't have the "answers", it's their responsibility to then go find out, before they "sell sell sell", chase their tail through multiple calls, voicemail messages unanswered, and emails ignored.

Thankyou for finding out what you did but if you can make statements, allow others to do the same without trying to blame them for "derailing" a thread after your own statements that are nonsensical regarding GM's.
            Prior to your statements, I said nothing about GMs. If YOU can open up another manufacturers name, others are not allowed to do so without being accused of "derailing a thread"-??
            Fine.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
              Haha, actually that's the one I was thinking of in my first post. I will gladly concede that $695 is better than $1400 as long as you don't have to pay the $695 every time you get a new machine. But I'm also still quite happy I don't need HD software.
              If you do get it, I would be interested in what IS there and what may be missing or inaccurate.
              You know. The kinds of things tech support will never tell us.

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                Actually Steve, you took it sideways yourself. OK for you to say what you wish but not others-?

The discussion was about hardware and software, price, availability. You stating that tech support has all the answers is, and has been, contrary to what others have experienced.

""As far as calling Tech support for bug fixes ( missing data, broken tests, incomplete module scan ETC ) the guys at Tech support do their job.
                YOU KNOW the process as well as I do. It is not up to them to fix the software, they report it to the powers that be and it goes off to the developers from there. If there is a known work around they will give it to you and try and help any way they can.""

For you to tell me this (above quote) stating in BOLD lettering that I know the process, opens up ONE very basic concern that HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED at all, so no, tech support doesn't have all the answers. There are MANY other examples where tech support does NOT have "all the answers".

""Call tech support, they will give you all the answers""

The issue regarding someone seeing something greyed out (or not) would depend on many things, one of which is which piece of kit they are fortunate enough to have, then there is internet availability, costs, demographics and number of vehicles per day/week/month, and if one thinks it through all the way many of those things depend on physically where a shop or person is located so my responses you don't care for are direct responses to your statements.in
                If I go onto a SnapOn truck (IF one EVER shows up-!!), I would be asking the service and sales person directly, in person, face to face.
                If they don't have the "answers", it's their responsibility to then go find out, before they "sell sell sell", chase their tail through multiple calls, voicemail messages unanswered, and emails ignored.

Thankyou for finding out what you did but if you can make statements, allow others to do the same without trying to blame them for "derailing" a thread after your own statements that are nonsensical regarding GM's.
                Prior to your statements, I said nothing about GMs. If YOU can open up another manufacturers name, others are not allowed to do so without being accused of "derailing a thread"-??
                Fine.
                Again Jay, you are spinning off topic from the post. I stated that tech support MAY be the answer. And suggested that a call to tech support first MIGHT be a faster and more accurate way to get an answer. Yes I put in bold that you know the process, because you do. And yes I did tell James to call Tech support because they will give you all the answers because after stating several times to call them he still asked questions about it, guess you didn't see the at the end of it. Once again PLEASE stop derailing posts. If you want to discuss a topic start one yourself.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Again Jay, you are spinning off topic from the post. I stated that tech support MAY be the answer. And suggested that a call to tech support first MIGHT be a faster and more accurate way to get an answer. Yes I put in bold that you know the process, because you do. And yes I did tell James to call Tech support because they will give you all the answers because after stating several times to call them he still asked questions about it, guess you didn't see the at the end of it. Once again PLEASE stop derailing posts. If you want to discuss a topic start one yourself.
                  Ahh, Steve it all makes for lively entertaining conversation. It only takes a couple PissAnts at the picnic to get the party jumping.

Ok, I did call tech support and was , The original question " Will it reset keys and immobilizer PINS?" I did not quite understand why you would want to reset the Factory PIN to access security functions, so I asked Tech support , If an Immobilizer key were lost, can you do an all key Erase all the Immobilizer and reprogram the immobilizer keys (besides just add an immobilizer key).
                  He said he would need to know the exact year and model bike to look up and answer that question.
                  I then asked if the EAK0347L01A , $695 cable set can be swapped between other Snap On Scanners , like if a Motorcycle club members pitched in together and bought the $695 cable set and 3 car techs in the club each have 3 different Snap On scanners with software 17.2 or newer , could the EAK0347L01A be shared between different people with different scanners or the cable Smart Chipped or something, where it is married to only one scanner.
                  He agreed it is not married to one scanner and that it will work with different Snap On scanners with 17.2 or later .

So presently these cables are not married to just one scanner and can work on other Snap On scanners. That does not mean that Snap On won't SOON RELEASE THE EAK034L01-(B0GUS) AS SUPERSEDED REPLACEMENT TO THE EAK034L01A FOR LESS $ BUT WILL BE CHIPPED AND MARRIED TO ONLY ONE OR MAYBE UP TO 3 DIFFERENT SCANNERS OF A SINGLE OWNER. SO YOU BETTER BUY THE EAK0347L01A TODAY WHILE THE GETTIN'S STILL GOOD, LOL.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 03-19-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

I buy a LOT of SnapOn stuff but the prices on a few things I just can't justify.
                    I wanted some pressure transducers for my scope but seriously couldn't see over $300 for one and a bit of cable. So I eventually sussed out the wire connections and made my own for a tenth of the price. I imagine the genuine ones work better but mine suffice what what I want.

So now I have some idea I might want to scan an EFI Harley at some point. Maybe. So,uh, how many pins do these HD connectors have? I know at least two guys with some that would let me experiment if I asked.
                    Never mind, I see four or six.Power, ground, data high, data low, wonder what the other two are?

Edit,further info. Being that HD EFI is Italian sourced I wonder if they use the same connector setup as Aprilia in the six pin. If so then I already have the pinout and the two extra pins are unused.
                    Last edited by GypsyR; 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

There was no MAY or MIGHT in your statements Steve.

The subject of price was raised before I said anything but it is a consideration for most people.
                      Your response to Wit on the first page was uncalled for.
                      Now you accuse someone else of "derailing" a thread when you don't like what others say in direct response to YOUR statements.
                      Pretty standard for some internet sites.
                      Too bad.

Comment

• GypsyR
                        • Jul 2017

Heh. As an admin on another forum I just admonished a couple of our moderators for letting themselves get dragged into a petty argument with a rather vociferous member. I asked them to hold themselves to a higher standard.

And over there if the threads that DON'T get derailed after around ten posts I think are in the minority. Every once in a while the derailment is more interesting than the original subject. There'a list of rules there, and "no derailing" is NOT on it. People naturally wander off topic in conversations.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Heh. As an admin on another forum I just admonished a couple of our moderators for letting themselves get dragged into a petty argument with a rather vociferous member. I asked them to hold themselves to a higher standard.

And over there if the threads that DON'T get derailed after around ten posts I think are in the minority. Every once in a while the derailment is more interesting than the original subject. There'a list of rules there, and "no derailing" is NOT on it. People naturally wander off topic in conversations.
                          Have you ever wondered why most if not all gals that are named after a month of the year be it April, May, or June generally have a pretty warm disposition at their time of the month but generally don't look too hot ?

Comment

• GypsyR
                            • Jul 2017

No. But now that you mention it,my ex-wife was born in January and I'm pretty sure ice water flows in her veins.

Comment

• antthecat
                              • Apr 2014

At least you guys get some Harley coverage, here in the UK we don't have it (yet, 18.2 info has not been released yet, would not surprise me if Harley will be added).

Comment

• Witsend
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2012

I do think that Harley Davidson has traditionally attracted the rougher edged folk that were pretty Mechanically inclined or at least tried, liked to Kick the Sh@t out of things and would rather push it than ride a Rice Burner, but man , times have changed. We need electric start and fuel injection, ABS brakes and a lot of the guys that never got that Big Wheel they wanted from Santa at Christmas time put them giant oversize custom front wheels on their bikes and dress up as Santa around Christmas and bring kids toys. Nice bunch of guys overall. I think guys that are techs in a club will buy their Club a HD connector that will be shared by club and some guys with a Snap On Scanners who might update it to 18.2 to get the Harley software coverage because they can access a connector the club has to rent out for a small fee when it's needed.

Comment

Working...