Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
SureTrack automotive technician community.
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

View Poll Results: Would you like to see DPF Burnoffs added to the scanner software?
Yes I need it and I'd use it often 43 71.67%
Yes, it would be nice but I'd seldom use it 16 26.67%
No, I'd prefer a different test was added (please specify in the post) 1 1.67%
No, I don't work on Diesels at all 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Diesel Particulate Filter Burnoff

In the last few weeks I've come across a couple of new diesel trucks that were in reduced power more, or had lights requesting a Manual DPF Burnoff be completed. Rigth now this is an OEM-only Function for GM, Fords and Dodge Cummins'. Id like to see the Functional tests added to the scanner software to command these tests....but I'm a Diesel-Head. I'm not the best judge of how many folks want/need these tests.

Please take a minute to vote and comment. The results will probably satisfy my curiosity more than sway SO's opinion of the need for the test, but I ask that you do it anyway.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Rappa : 01-19-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Steve6911 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

JOE

GREAT idea using a poll to show S.O. what people in this forum want! Saves a lot of time counting back on posts!

Steve
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6911 View Post
JOE

GREAT idea using a poll to show S.O. what people in this forum want! Saves a lot of time counting back on posts!

Steve
Thanks Steve. Even dumb guys have a good idea on occasion.
I won't reveal how long I thought about the 4 possible responses for fear of revealing exactly how dumb I really am!

Joe
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Skip Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I will pass this on to the Chrysler engineer as I agree that it is a very important issue. There is a very lengthy T.S.B. for cleaning the EGR cooler, turbo, and DPF on the new Cummins engines. Very often the result is a new exhaust system.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM

diesel71 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

great idea joe anyone that works on the new diesels knows the dpf systems are one of the biggest issues we see today. certain conditions have to be set to allow the dpf to complete a regeneration. when these conditions are not allowed the pcm will set codes and go into limp home mode. then the diagnostics begin,having the ability to do a manual regen would not only cut down on guess work but save time and money. one thing that would almost have to coincide with this is a dpf reset,the regen cycles are made to regen more as the engine/exhaust system gets older so you would need to have a reset function to reset the regen cycles when a new dpf was installed.
to the best of my knowledge gm/ford/dodge all estimate that the dpf system will last 100,000-120,000 miles and then need replaced, we know most diesel owners will keep there diesels past that so lets get prepared.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Earl Davis Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

This is a very good suggestion. The manual Dpf burnoff process is used frequently in the dodge dealer shops and required to complete the SB that Skip had mentioned.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM

KM@PROAUTOTECH Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Joe,

As you know I am involved mainly with drivability, however the more bi-directional tests I have the better I off I am. We are seeing and increase in the # of diesel drivability problems, so if the test is there i will use it.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM

ArmstrongPerformance Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

That would be a really nice feature.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 AM

Daautos Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default agree

here in the uk we unfortunately have to deal with these on more an more european cars so i agree i have had numerous peugeot cars that require a manual dpf regen also these cars have an additive tank i would also like to see somthing on my solus to reset this after filling as well cheers guys
Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM

jeffss1 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thumbs up Quick Smart

Yeap saab vauxhall vw and fiat all suffer badly from sooting and a manual regen would be very helpful to prolong the life of the egr swirl actuators and cats Get it developed or licenced quick