Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crzydrvr
    • Oct 2008

1999 Dodge Intrepid power steering

I have had a recent encounter with a 99 Intrepid having a bad power steering pump. I replaced the pump. The very next day I got the car back with the reman pump failed and leaking at the shaft seal. The belt was also off the pulleys. I had replaced the pump again with another one and also replaced the belt. None of the pulleys were out of alingment. A week later car is back agian with bad pump, belt still on. Customer took car before anything else is done. Now returns with not only a bad pump, but belt off again. Can anyone please give me some helpful advise?? Thank you
  • jeffreyg
    • Jan 2008

When you say bad pump again do you mean it's leaking out the front seal, or is the pump noisy, or no assist? What kind of pumps are you using? Is there an in line filter that may be clogged? Have you installed a P/S press gauge and checked pressures?

Comment

• crzydrvr
      • Oct 2008

The pump was leaking from the front seal, and was noisy from the lack of fluid. I had also blown out the lines. The pump was a reman Cardone. And of course I had also bled air out as per the procedure to do so.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by crzydrvr
        The pump was leaking from the front seal, and was noisy from the lack of fluid. I had also blown out the lines. The pump was a reman Cardone. And of course I had also bled air out as per the procedure to do so.
        I had issues with their reman Dodge P/S pumps about 9 years ago. The price was attractive until I had to try FOUR of theirs before I gave up and went with a dealer part. (sorry for the bad news but you might be going to another manufacturer)

Comment

• jeffreyg
          • Jan 2008

I agree with Crusty I've had a ton of problems with A1/ Cardone I don't use them any more. I'd try another manufacture.

Comment

• bobnostics
            • Apr 2008

Dodge Power Steering

If this pump has a remote reservoir replace it! The internal screening(filter) inside these reservoirs are so fine they plug up very easily. Flush and clean the system and install a high quality power steering fluid.I use BG products. A1 cardone is great if your never going to see that car again! Example used car lot. In the past I purchased many A1 cardone parts just to find out they weren't worth it. I would always end up doing it over,hard to make money that way! I purchased a Chrysler reman for my daughters car I was very pleased with the price and the quality. Good Luck,Bob

Comment

• crzydrvr
              • Oct 2008

Thanks for the advise. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, but I wanted to get other people's input before I got too down on myself. Its nice to know its not only me that has had these problems.Thanks a ton.

Comment

• jeffreyg
                • Jan 2008

I'm sure your parts supplier will tell you your the only one that has a problem with A1!

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jeffreyg
                  I'm sure your parts supplier will tell you your the only one that has a problem with A1!
                  Isn't that management 101-! LOL

Comment

Working...