Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Lab Scope & Component Level Testing
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Snap-on Diagnostics Ethos Plus
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM

just2damfast Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default GMC Savana Condemned PCM

2006 GMC Savana van, the other technician had misfire problems and replaced the maf only to find no improvement. I connected the escan to find very negative trim on road test. However vehicle intermittently running rough. Performed volumetric efficiency test and also found numbers off. connected vp and first used transducer on fuel rail, back probed, cyl. 7 injector and the cam sensor. found fuel pressure to drop and rise while running rough, cam signal good. But injector appeared to be firing a second time during compression stroke. Back probed cam and crank to check to see corallation. Seemed good. Probed cyl. 1 injector, crank signal (24x), and trigger of cyl. plug wire, cyl. 1 injector fires twice - posted below. If my theory is right, I believe the pcm to be bad if both cam and crank signals are good. Still new to the lab scope and thought I would post my findings.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmc.jpg (96.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg gmc2.jpg (103.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg User001_00419224902.JPG (65.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 PM

crowbar Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I don't know if this helps, I work on motorcycles.
Some models fire the injectors twice, each time giving the cylinder a half load of fuel.
I knew once why they did this, but I can't remember why right now.
Could be because some motorcycles rev to 15,000 RPM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I don't think I'd ever condemn a PCM on a GM vehicle for delivering an asynchronous pulse. It's common practice for them.
Joe
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM

just2damfast Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

However, the extra injector pulse only shows while the vehicle is running bad. It's somewhat of an intermittent condition. When it runs well, the second pulse isn't there.

Brian
Old 04-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Joe Rappa, you were correct. replaced PCM only to find vehicle still running bad after about 3 hours of hunting, Low reference wire going to throttle position sensor was found broken inside the insulation. I wonder if this could have been the reason to the extra injector pulse. Perhaps for accelleration enrichment to keep the engine from bogging?

Brian
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by just2damfast View Post
Joe Rappa, you were correct. replaced PCM only to find vehicle still running bad after about 3 hours of hunting, Low reference wire going to throttle position sensor was found broken inside the insulation. I wonder if this could have been the reason to the extra injector pulse. Perhaps for accelleration enrichment to keep the engine from bogging?

Brian
I bet you're correct. Small increases in TPS lead to big increases in fuel enrichment. GM likes to add that extra fuel with Asnychronous pulses. Most everyone else increases injector on time.
Great find!

I was thinking you were on the right track with the cam/crank signals, but a bad TPS signal will definitely cause your problem

Thanks for letting everyone know.

Joe
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM

vasau Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

What size engine or code?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:03 PM

It is the 4.8 liter v8
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 AM

eddie8 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

By the way just2damfast, how did you get the escan screen shots saved?i have the escan and cant seem to save my screen shots Any hints?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Snap-on DSD

Hi Ed! Hope you're doing well.
Just use a screen capture program. I use MWsnap. It's free and doesn't use much memory.

I'm not scheduled to be back down in the Newburgh area until November, but I'll be sure to look you up when I get there.
What a crazy schedule I've got this year! Flying to 5 different cities in 5 days this week.

Joe