Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Pass Thru Pro 1

Does anyone out there use the original Pass Thru Pro (from Snap On which is relabeled Actia XM). Is it just me or could this device possibly have the worst user interface of any S.O. diagnostic tool? The user manual is utterly lacking any real-life instruction beyond how to install software and plug in device! What vehicles, if any, does this device still work well with? I realize S.O. doesnt support this device any longer but is anyone willing to offer any advise of there own on how to simply take the first steps involved with any refash/programming procedure with this thing. Worst instructions and interface i have ever seen. Even worse than that of the old PC link software!

Does anyone know if PTP1 will work with Drew-Tech toolbox? I recently downloaded it, and in the "select device" tab there is nothing at all. Drivers and software for this PTP are already loaded into my laptop yet toolbox can "not find any drivers". Any help would be great. Thanks guys---Neil
  • jrorl63
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Have you updated the software for your original PassThru (Actia PassThru+ XS)?
    I found the old Snap-on link http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/j2534.asp which redirected me to
    http://www.passthruxs.com/ then download the latest software & drivers - API Passthru+ XS for Workshop. The ACTIA/Snap-on has been validated by a lot of OEMs. HTH

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
      Does anyone out there use the original Pass Thru Pro (from Snap On which is relabeled Actia XM). Is it just me or could this device possibly have the worst user interface of any S.O. diagnostic tool? The user manual is utterly lacking any real-life instruction beyond how to install software and plug in device! What vehicles, if any, does this device still work well with? I realize S.O. doesnt support this device any longer but is anyone willing to offer any advise of there own on how to simply take the first steps involved with any refash/programming procedure with this thing. Worst instructions and interface i have ever seen. Thanks guys---Neil
      Neil
      There is really nothing more then once it is installed to pluging it in and use the software to check tool communication. Every thing else you need is on the Vehicle manufacturer end. I will email you the Ford user guide and some powerpoints I have to help get you going. J2534 programming is difficult at best, so get ready!

Steve

Comment

• Snafu
        • Nov 2008

Steve is it possible to upload the Ford info onto the forums...or does it take up to much bandwidth.

I think it would be beneficial to me and a lot of others as well who are thinking of taking the programing plunge.

Thanks Sterling

PS is it the same rules for us in Canada as in the States.

Comment

• Trindaddy
          • Jan 2010

I have been the diagnostic, detail oriented, never give up, perfectionist for over 20 years. I have also been L1 certified for over 20 years. I've always worked on every make and model that comes in the door. I can handle this and i'm ready for this, but getting started is proving to be a real challenge. All i need is the support i've been getting from you all, some time to research and read, and the right tool(s). Can the PTP1 still do it?!?

Jrorl63:
          4 1/2 years ago, when i first bought and shelved this thing, i did update the software and the pass thru device itself (hardware?). On my programs menu i currently have two separate programs for the XM:
          XS Pass thru 1.11 (original software i believe) and XS Pass Thru 2.07 tools. They both appear to have similiar folders and very little help. I dont know which to use. Does the PSP automatically use the program it needs? Should i delete the original? I tried to use last night on my 2010 Tacoma. Unit lit up, and identified one protocol out of many listed when i used the configuration tool (i think). Then what do you do?
          I will try the link you gave and see if its something new, Thank you as well as Steve and the others.

Always a pleasure---Neil
          Last edited by Trindaddy; 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Comment

• jrorl63
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Yes - use the newest software and drivers available on the manufacturers web site. When I've helped customers with the original PTP I've used the newer software and it works fine, and it will allow you to work on more cars. The greatest challenge I've run into when using various brands of J2534 devices is the validation/approval (or not) with the OEM. Once again I recommend that you familiarize yourself with all the information found at www.nastf.org and even though you don't have a drewtech device there is some great information on their website http://www.drewtech.com/technician/support/videos.html & http://www.drewtech.com/technician/s...elpcenter.html

As far as your Toyota goes you need to subscribe to and download the software application from https://techinfo.toyota.com YOUR device is on Toyota's J2534 Approved Device Application Chart

Also this online seminar may help (although a bit "dated")

Comment

• Trindaddy
              • Jan 2010

Thank you very much guys. I have much good info to read now. I did not know it was right under my nose already. It appears the PTP1 will not work with the "Toolbox 2". It does not appear on the device list. It appears i already have the latest download from Actia (2.07-Dec 2004). Not sure if i'm doin it right, so i dropped Drew-Tech an e-mail to inquire. Hope it works, looks like a great tool for beginners to flashing like me.

I believe i need a slow day and a test car now....*anxious*

Neil
              Last edited by Trindaddy; 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM. Reason: forgot response

Comment

Working...