Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech12
    • Oct 2010

FMP problems again

Well - today I tried to program a 2009 Ford E450 with a 6.0 Diesel. I went into FMP and picked PCM to update. It went through the process and FMP reported that the PCM has the latest update. 9C2A - AEH. This info matches the Cal info on the Motorcraft website. So- I thought I should check if the FICM has the latest Cal. I picked the FICM from the modules list and at the end of the process it said it couldn't complete the process and gave an error code 59 - 0x0 851082. Anyone know what this error means? I was maintaining the battery above 12.5 V. If the PCM calibration is reported as up to date - does this mean that the FICM is also up to date? I have sent an inquiry into FMP Help but I wondered if anyone here has any direction for me. I have programmed hundreds of GM modules with very little problems but FMP seems to be a quirky program.
  • Rich Barton
    • Sep 2007

Ficm Flash

Originally posted by tech12
    Well - today I tried to program a 2009 Ford E450 with a 6.0 Diesel. I went into FMP and picked PCM to update. It went through the process and FMP reported that the PCM has the latest update. 9C2A - AEH. This info matches the Cal info on the Motorcraft website. So- I thought I should check if the FICM has the latest Cal. I picked the FICM from the modules list and at the end of the process it said it couldn't complete the process and gave an error code 59 - 0x0 851082. Anyone know what this error means? I was maintaining the battery above 12.5 V. If the PCM calibration is reported as up to date - does this mean that the FICM is also up to date? I have sent an inquiry into FMP Help but I wondered if anyone here has any direction for me. I have programmed hundreds of GM modules with very little problems but FMP seems to be a quirky program.
    Hi Tech12,

If your pcm is up to date then I bet the ficm is up to date as well.

I have loaded many ficm modules and when you load it it will then update the pcm and tcm as well.

as for the error not sure on that but also when you load a ficm it will ask you to remove the ficm relay or you will mess something up.
    Rich Barton
    C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

the fmp program should have asked you to remove the ficm relay befor you start the flash? IF you updated the pcm and the fmp did not go right to the ficm then it is up to date like rich said. I m not sure what the error message means but you can call or send it to fmp for some help there. tip= before you update any ford module get the calibration numbers first then compair them to the ones on the motorcraft site,that way you know what ones need it and the ones that dont. was there by chance any ficm codes? I know if you try to update a bad ficm module it will not take the flash and give a code like the one you have just not sure if thats the same error message.

Comment

• tech12
        • Oct 2010

FMP troubles

Yes -FMP asked me to remove the FICM relay and I did. I did not have to actually update the PCM. I checked for updates and it told me the PCM was up to date. This job was from a shop calling me and asking me to check if the PCM and FICM are up to date. At the Motorcraft site the updated program given is the PCM Cal # which was 9C2A - AEH. The tear tag read AEU6. The catchword at the Motorcraft site is AEU7. which matches the Cal # read from FMP. Is there some data you can access with a SO scanner to find out the installed Calibration? The only way I have heard to check for updated calibrations is by looking at a tear tag on the PCM. How likely is it that someone updates the tear tag? The tag # on this PCM showed that it needed an update but when I checked through FMP the PCM had been updated. Obviously whoever updated the PCM did not install an updated tear tag.

Comment

• tech12
          • Oct 2010

Calling all FMP experts

Anyone????????

Comment

• diesel71
            • Feb 2008

Yes -FMP asked me to remove the FICM relay and I did. I did not have to actually update the PCM. I checked for updates and it told me the PCM was up to date. This job was from a shop calling me and asking me to check if the PCM and FICM are up to date. At the Motorcraft site the updated program given is the PCM Cal # which was 9C2A - AEH. The tear tag read AEU6. The catchword at the Motorcraft site is AEU7. which matches the Cal # read from FMP. Is there some data you can access with a SO scanner to find out the installed Calibration? The only way I have heard to check for updated calibrations is by looking at a tear tag on the PCM. How likely is it that someone updates the tear tag? The tag # on this PCM showed that it needed an update but when I checked through FMP the PCM had been updated. Obviously whoever updated the PCM did not install an updated tear tag.
            tear tag"s are rearly used anymore unless the calibration was done at a dealership. the dealer should attach a authorized modification sticker on the front upper shroud or radiator support but this dont always happin. the best way to check the calibration on a ford truck is to use your scanner with obd direct, click on obd diagnose/start communication/12v light duty vehicle/scroll down to $09 read vehicle identification. on the ford trucks you will get a pcm calibration number a tcm calibration number and a ficm mumber,you can then check to see if one needs updating. I feel your pain and been threw most of the headaches when it comes to reprograming, belive it or not it is getting easyer with the better passthrew devices availble.

Comment

• USpMD
              • Oct 2010

If you are checking PCM for up-dates, Ford will advise on 6.0L powertrain if there is a reflash avail for TCM, FICM or PCM, if it states there is no update then all three modules are at latest level, no action required, I am aware it states to remove FICM relay prior to reflash FICM, this is a carryover note from when we used PDS or WDS to reflash the FICM, if you are using IDS with VMM interface its not required to remove the FICM relay, I have reflashed over 1000 of them this way over the last 7 years, as always make sure the battery stays in the sweet spot @ 13.5 volts, make sure your laptop has suffic power, I always plug in, make sure cables to veh and laptop are safe from accidental dissconnect, Good luck!
              "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

Working...