Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > J2534 (Flash Reprogramming) User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Eautorepair.net, Automotive information for the DIY Mechanic
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 PM

tech12 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Flashing used Dodge ECM

In a previous post, Diagnostic Guru mentioned a process in which he described - On Chrysler Vehicles with SKIM, you simply "Unplug" SKIM Module before you program PCM. Reprogram PCM, write the VIN, and plug SKIM back in and your done. If you don't do this, then you will have to use the DRB-3 on Non CAN Chryslers or the WiTech on CAN Chrysler vehicles to reset the SKIM. Remember that J-2534 is simply "Aftermarket" programming and they do not make it easy. I recommend the Factory Tools if you are doing much programming, they are very easy to program with. I followed this process on a 2004 Dodge SX 2.0 and it worked perfectly. This was my first flash on a Dodge/Chrysler with my PTPII. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding flashing used modules on a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep that I can use for future jobs? I find that my customers are usually trying to install used ECMs instead of new and I want things to go smoothly for my part. I have read that 3 plug ECMs (NGC controllers) cannot be re-used and I have read about the hazards of installing an ECM from a SKIM equipped system to a Non-SKIM system. Anything else?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Trindaddy Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I knew I couldn't be the only one that found that post intriguing! I cant wait to try it. Also, does anyone know where to navigate to see what Chrysler modules are programable and what the latest calibration is for a particular module before you pay for a scrip? Nice work Mr 12.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 AM

Orevin Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Chrysler allows emission related controllers to be reprogrammed, PCM and TCM.

Take your scan tool and look up the current calibration number (Mode $09 works well). Then go to
TechAuthority, scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the link Related Documents and Links:

cta_01.jpg

There you click on
J-2534 Flash Availability:

cta_02.jpg

A rather large PDF file will open, here is a direct link to it:
https://www.techauthority.com/Docume...ailability.pdf

Use the search function of the PDF-reader, plug in the current calibration# and hit enter/search:

cta_03.jpg

If your number shows up in the old part# column, a new calibration is available. Chrysler also lists related TSBs, read them to see if the new calibration will fix the car you're working on (ideally you should have read them already and arrive here because of a TSB ):

cta_04.jpg
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Trindaddy Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Yes! Thats the page i was looking for! Did they move this? Could they make it any harder to locate? I used to be able to get here months ago, when i last checked, (before i was a programming effecienado). Thanks again Kai, you just may be Flash Gordon! Neil
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM

aautomaan Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default used module flashing

I've done this on a few before 2005 and all that was needed was clear the vin, rewrite the vin, rewrite mileage. i use the PTP II w/ J2534 toolbox 2, downloaded from drew technologies. was able to take new controllers and enter vin and mileage and start up until the other day. 2005 rubicon. entered vin mileage and whooops no start. had to reflash controller, reset skim (toolbox 2 has this option), clear vin (because it popped up with all ffffffff's), rewrite vin, and rewrite sri, i think this is a glitch though because you are resetting a service reminder indicator and after work is done and looking at pids this number comes up in mileage in the pcm (not instrument cluster) but you cannot input mileage because you cannot enter above a certain number (it tells you what the number is). I'm not sure if i was doing something wrong or maybe the tool wasn't doing it right but it took several attempts and finally went through. i'm not sure, but i strongly think, it may be because of the switching on and off of the key (which the tool tells you to do), the last time it worked i did not switch off ignition at all. just click the box when it tells you to turn it off. all was good, started, test drive, no problems.

hth

the more i learn, the more i realize how much i really don't know

Geoffrey Bell
Master Technician
Dale City, VA
Old 08-22-2011, 11:10 PM

aamcowc Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Used Pcm

Any experience with replacing pcm with a used pcm. Dodge is out of stock on PCM for 03 Intrepid. I got PCM with identical part number and calibration. The key does not have a transponder.

I used Tool box 2 to reset and vin write process. Now the car does not turn over and I cannot get any codes with modis. One problem I had was when doing the calibration update, it did not finish updating the TCM. This PCM seems to have ECM and TCM software in it.

Any ideas?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Rich Barton Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamcowc View Post
Any experience with replacing pcm with a used pcm. Dodge is out of stock on PCM for 03 Intrepid. I got PCM with identical part number and calibration. The key does not have a transponder.

I used Tool box 2 to reset and vin write process. Now the car does not turn over and I cannot get any codes with modis. One problem I had was when doing the calibration update, it did not finish updating the TCM. This PCM seems to have ECM and TCM software in it.

Any ideas?
Morning aamcowc,

Do you still have the vin from the old car if so run it threw chrysler parts department and see if it was equiped with skim security.

One thing to remember a pcm can have the same part# and have skim security or not.

If it is a security problem you will need to replace pcm and bcm or add skim module and keys to get running.

If it is a software problem retry to flash,there might be some special instructions in the tsb flash to unplug the bcm during flashing or tcm wont load correct.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 AM

Rich Barton Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Barton View Post
Morning aamcowc,

Do you still have the vin from the old car if so run it threw chrysler parts department and see if it was equiped with skim security.

One thing to remember a pcm can have the same part# and have skim security or not.

If it is a security problem you will need to replace pcm and bcm or add skim module and keys to get running.

If it is a software problem retry to flash,there might be some special instructions in the tsb flash to unplug the bcm during flashing or tcm wont load correct.

Good luck.
I found it for you it is in the flash tsb info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm load.jpg (34.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

jm43130 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Just installed a used pcm in a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.8 that did not have a skim module. Used pcm had skim enabled and would not start vehicle. I used J2534 toolbox 2 from CarDaq, hooked up PSP2, ran the skim reset and gave me all FFFFFFFFF's in VIN. Then rewrote VIN into pcm. Vehicle started right up and was okay. Evidently on this make-model combo it works.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 PM

tech12 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Dodge flash

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know!

Eric