Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Scanner Capabilities
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Vantage PRO, Instrumentation combined with documentation makes the Vantage PRO the favorite tool of the top diagnostic technicians.
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 AM

supertech1158 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Using Microscan

Just got my Microscan last week and getting familiar with it. I hooked it up to my first car yesterday and pulled up everything I needed to look at. Wanted to get it home and use ShopStream to get a better idea what I was dealing with. When I got home and hooked it up it had not saved any data off the vehicle. Since I could not find the option to save the vehicle when it was hooked up I assumed it would automatically save it. How do I save the information to my Microscan?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM

sbreland73 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

The Microscan is not that kind of scanner. You get to pull codes, see some live data, and save about 60 frames. Vehicle history is in the upper line of scanners. Maybe the Ethos would be a better fit for you. Your Snappy Rep should have assessed your needs prior to selling you a device. Good luck.

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change." Stephen Hawking
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM

supertech1158 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I appreciate the response. I did my own research on both the Ethos and Microscan prior to purchase, and for my needs and budget the Microscan was a better fit. One of the listings for Microscan said "stores information for up to 25 different vehicles", but I guess all it meant was a few freeze frames as you said. Still, am having trouble even just being able to do that. Is there a detailed tutorial available anywhere for the microscan and/or using shopstream?Ive downloaded the pitiful users manual snap-on provides online and did not find it extremely helpful.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Snap-on_ULTRA Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I also did like you, I bought microscan pro and did not like it, code description is too big so if you got more than one code they won't fit on a screen so you got to go down to see all the codes and because screen is so small they don't give you full description.
So I sold it and for the same price got Autel MD802, it has bigger color screen, two code descriptions fit the full screen with full description, I/M readiness with full description plus it does read the codes on other modules not just generic obd2. I don't like chinese tools but snap on did a bad job with microscan, thats why they did not want to put snap on brand on the unit but instead bluepoint.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM

sandt38 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-on_ULTRA View Post
I also did like you, I bought microscan pro and did not like it, code description is too big so if you got more than one code they won't fit on a screen so you got to go down to see all the codes and because screen is so small they don't give you full description.
So I sold it and for the same price got Autel MD802, it has bigger color screen, two code descriptions fit the full screen with full description, I/M readiness with full description plus it does read the codes on other modules not just generic obd2. I don't like chinese tools but snap on did a bad job with microscan, thats why they did not want to put snap on brand on the unit but instead bluepoint.
The microscan is a codereader on crack. The pricepoint is fair. A coworker of mine paid a lot more for a Matco tool that is quite similar to it. You could have spent $150 for a code reader with a couple OBDII PIDs on a screen, but you got quite a bit more for your money.

The bottom line is, it is a $350 tool. It is not going to compete with entry level scanners that cost 2 grand. It has it's place, but don't expect huge things from it. There is a reason why tools cost what they do. Sure, a name will inflate cost, but if you step into a name like SnapOn at $350 for a scanner, don't expect the capabilities of a $2000 Ethos, or a $4000 Solus.

For someone with such distaste for SnapOn and love for Autel, you sure claim to own or use to have owned several SnapOn scanners. With all your disappointments why not buy from another company?

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated?

Last edited by sandt38 : 08-30-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Snap-on_ULTRA Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
For someone with such distaste for SnapOn and love for Autel, you sure claim to own or use to have owned several SnapOn scanners. With all your disappointments why not buy from another company?

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated?
First of all Blue Point Microscan is NOT snap on brand, so quit attacking me here because I am not anti snap on scanners. Snap on dealers who drive in your shop with big snap on truck sell autel out of their snap on trucks. When I was selling my Microscan on ebay because I did not like it, I listed it as "snap on" brand, it was there one day and ebay removed it because someone from snap on contacted ebay and when ebay deleted my auction it said in description:

Quote:
Your item was removed because of a request we received from Snap-On Incorporated (US), a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Listing(s) contains unlawful comparison to trademark owner's brand name.

If you have additional questions or concerns on why your item was removed, please contact Snap-On Incorporated (US) directly at:

channelprotection@snapon.com

Please allow 7 days for Snap-On Incorporated (US) to reply to you.
Microscan is NOT Snap-on brand so I deserve apology from you sandt38

So sense snap on is not selling any low level snap on brand scanners then what is wrong with pointing out to some cheap china scanner?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM

sbreland73 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I too got a Microscan, and after a few weeks, decided it was not the tool for me. I wanted something small, quick, easy to read, grab codes, look at a few generic PIDS, and that's it. I hated having to "de-select" all the available PIDS just to view 2 or 3. I too sold mine on ebay (no complaints from Snappy) and got the Launch cReaderVI. For what it is, I think it's great. Quick view of IM readiness, can graph a few PIDS, has a data base of OEM code descriptions, all for half the price of the Microscan. I have been told, and do believe, that the Microscan was designed for a niche market of shops or Techs that just need something quick and easy. In my opinion, it was not quick nor easy.

My Dealer also sells the Launch readers, by request, and keeps a few on his truck. He tells me that he sells more of those than the Microscan.

Supertech, is this the manual you found? =

www1.snapon.com/display/3791/User_Manual.pdf

I am not aware of any other info, as I no longer own this device. Good Luck.

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change." Stephen Hawking

Last edited by sbreland73 : 08-30-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Bob's Garage Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandt38 View Post
The bottom line is, it is a $350 tool. It is not going to compete with entry level scanners that cost 2 grand. It has it's place, but don't expect huge things from it. There is a reason why tools cost what they do. Sure, a name will inflate cost, but if you step into a name like SnapOn at $350 for a scanner, don't expect the capabilities of a $2000 Ethos, or a $4000 Solus.

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated ?
I am not supporting any arguement here, but I can say I know why the Microscan came about. I asked the Microscan product manager "why?". He came back with the fact that some market research showed there was a market for a small, fit-in-your-pocket tool that was capable of not only reading codes but gathering data and recording it. And, he was right.

Some small shops just use it as a back-up for thier Modis or Solus or whatever. What if you only need to set readiness monitors on a repaired vehicle? Do you really need a full blown scanner? For shops with only one scanner, this takes some of the pressure off and allows another tech to continue diagnosing.

To me, the real strength of Microscan is Shopstream Connect playback capability. You really cannot tell the difference between a Microscan recording and a Modis recording during playback on SSC. So, for example if a tech wants to test drive and watch the road he simply sets up his Microscan to record and uses a custom data list (as we all should do anyhow) and make a recording and plays it back in the comfort of his home or shop office or the top of his toolbox.

Who else has a program as sophisticated as SSC? Not Launch, Autel or others.

True, the factory scanners all have the capabilities now, and the Tech2, Techstream and others are truly awesome programs.

Now a word about Autel. The graphing is horrible, absolutely terrible. it autoranges and re-averages constantly. The sweep time is not adjustable. Launch is just as bad? I think so. The real strength of Autel is the "cloned" software.

"Finally, when Autel shuts down,"

I have to agree with that possibility. Snap-on pays for the rights and gets technical assistance from the auto manufacturers, so figure that in the cost. Autel just copies the code, and clones it. Do all scanner companies "reverse engineer". You bet. Do they have rights? I don't think so.

So, getting back to the Microscan, it is what it is. A low cost, data recorder, scanner and code reader. No shop should ever rely on a tool that simple for all thier diagnostics. Just use it as a supplement. It fits the bill and can be had easily from you Snap-on dealer. Support is important also.

Autel, what support? Launch? Good luck...

Thanks for hearing me out.

Bob