Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Vintage Automobile Repair Manuals from Mitchell 1
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Ford PATS Programming

I was just at a body shop helping a guy with a previously molested No-Crank, No-Start. A Ford Tech had tried to help him by showing up with the OEM Scanner, and reprogramming his keys, but said it "wouldn't take". The problem ended up being a broken wire between the PRNDL and the Starter, but now the number of keys PID read "0". So, not only did our helpful friend not know that the PATS had nothing to do with the cranking system on this vehicle, but he erased the key programming. It would have been nice to have access to it with the Modis.
AutoEnginuity claims they can do it, although a recent post on the IATN says otherwise...so it's not an OEM only procedure. Maybe we could get it.
What does everyone think? Is this soemthing that you would use with any regularity?

Joe
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 AM

MasterWrench Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I know I could use it on occasion. Better than having to send them to the dealer on a hook to get them reprogrammed.....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM

aurora Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

[quote=AutoEnginuity claims they can do it, although a recent post on the IATN says otherwise...so it's not an OEM only procedure. Maybe we could get it.
What does everyone think? Is this soemthing that you would use with any regularity?

Joe[/QUOTE]

I wonder who at Autoenginuity told you that, certanly not Jay Horak or Bill,
I have had quite a few converations with both and never have they made claims about reprogramming, I have an idea who it was, they are currently working on a all in one connector wich would be great, I like there scanner but investing in all the cables and connectors is a waste. I am going to wait and see what they come up with at the end of the year wich is what they are shooting for.

I do wish Snap On would offer Reprograming on the Modis. It certanly would complete the tool!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Christopher Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
I have had quite a few converations with both and never have they made claims about reprogramming,
Quoted from thier website

Quote:
Ford
• Added PATs programming to support master key coding
• Improved the PATs programming to show any alert if security access is denied
Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Hi Aurora,
Forgive me if you already know this, but PATS Programming is simply the programming of keys to the PATS System, and not reprogramming of the PCM. Maybe that's the source of confusion.
Jay or Bill didn't tell me that. I've never talked to either of them. I don't own an AE, only fooled around with one a little...a very little. If I owned one I would have been able to state first hand that it didn't work instead of referring to the IATN thread regarding this feature.
I'm definitely not knocking AE. The only reason I knew they claimed to be able to do it was because I was checking to see if anyone other than Ford did it. A Google Search turned up this: "Finally, Ford PATS programming is now complete for '96 - '06 vehicles" on this page: http://www.autoenginuity.com/pressroom.html
A similar search of "PATS Programming OTC" only turned up a Car Quest flyer with both an NGS and an OTC on the same page of a flyer.
Later,
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
I have had quite a few converations with both and never have they made claims about reprogramming, I have an idea who it was, they are currently working on a all in one connector wich would be great, I like there scanner but investing in all the cables and connectors is a waste. I am going to wait and see what they come up with at the end of the year wich is what they are shooting for.

I do wish Snap On would offer Reprograming on the Modis. It certanly would complete the tool!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM

aurora Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rappa View Post
Hi Aurora,
Forgive me if you already know this, but PATS Programming is simply the programming of keys to the PATS System, and not reprogramming of the PCM. Maybe that's the source of confusion.
Jay or Bill didn't tell me that. I've never talked to either of them. I don't own an AE, only fooled around with one a little...a very little. If I owned one I would have been able to state first hand that it didn't work instead of referring to the IATN thread regarding this feature.
I'm definitely not knocking AE. The only reason I knew they claimed to be able to do it was because I was checking to see if anyone other than Ford did it. A Google Search turned up this: "Finally, Ford PATS programming is now complete for '96 - '06 vehicles" on this page: http://www.autoenginuity.com/pressroom.html
A similar search of "PATS Programming OTC" only turned up a Car Quest flyer with both an NGS and an OTC on the same page of a flyer.
Later,
Joe
No need to explain, I own the Autoenginuity with enahnced ford/GM/TOYOTA, I have a 2002 Explorer so I will check it out first hand, I have only used it once or twice since the last cartridge/software update but never had the need to go into the Pats. there is one guy there that has contradicted what jay and bill have told me in the past, mainly about CAN compatability.

I will certanly make a post about what I find.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 AM

diesel71 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

having the ability to program pats/key"s would be nice when needed but as for the pcm-tcm and other modules id prefer to keep that away from the modis. even if the modis had the pass-threw device inside it you would need to update it, that would add more confusion for people and the modis would need some kind of antivirus and another cable to go to a pc because you need to have a Internet connection to reprogram. all this would drive the price up. i believe keeping the re-programing separate is best.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

EBI Webmaster Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Pats Unvailed

I thought I would step in to talk about Pats a little.

The term PATs programming is really a bad usage of the word programming.
Truly all you are doing is talking to the computer and asking it to allow you into the PATS security mode access. If all the planets are aligned correctly, and after waiting for 10 minutes (this makes it harder for thieves) then you get in and have some functions you can perform. Things like

Clear all known keys.
Add keys
Turn off/on add keys
Initialize communication with other modules.

It is truly more like a bi-directional control then actual programming.

Note: It has been a few years since I did this every day so I do not remember all the official names. But the idea is there.

Roy
EBI Web Operations Admin
http://askatech.snapon.com