Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crzydrvr
    • Oct 2008

1999 Intrepid

I have a 99 intrepid in for a no start. the no start issue taken care of beings it were a starter. upon starting the car after starter replacement the engine rpms rev soo high that it hits the rev limiter. no codes and little engine vacuum. Cannot hear a leak but upon unplugging the map sensor the idle comes down but still runs rough. replaced map sensor and still same problem. Any one ever see this?
  • pdanner
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by crzydrvr
    I have a 99 intrepid in for a no start. the no start issue taken care of beings it were a starter. upon starting the car after starter replacement the engine rpms rev soo high that it hits the rev limiter. no codes and little engine vacuum. Cannot hear a leak but upon unplugging the map sensor the idle comes down but still runs rough. replaced map sensor and still same problem. Any one ever see this?
    What are your IAC counts and TPS voltage during the high idle speed?
    ScannerDanner

Comment

• crzydrvr
      • Oct 2008

After another look I did find the TPS having higher than normal voltage , (normal range of 0.50-0.90) this read at about 1.17 volts. Could that make the engine scream that high RPM's?

Comment

• pdanner
        • Aug 2011

After another look I did find the TPS having higher than normal voltage , (normal range of 0.50-0.90) this read at about 1.17 volts. Could that make the engine scream that high RPM's?
        absolutely! This is why I wanted IAC counts too. If TPS voltage is higher than normal at idle the PCM "thinks" your foot is on the gas pedal and then commands the IAC valve to open in preparation of you letting your foot off of the gas. This is a design feature to prevent decel stalling. Take a look at your TPS % and IAC counts, I'll bet they are very high.
        Something is either holding the throttle plate open slightly or you have a TPS circuit problem.
        Check out this scan data capture of the IAC motor control based on the TPS input. I created this by simply opening and closing the throttle plate rapidly.
        ScannerDanner

Comment

• pdanner
          • Aug 2011

Here are three other data captures I use in my class to teach this principle.

ScannerDanner

Comment

Working...