Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robin
    • Oct 2014

J2534 information

Is there any good way of finding information about what used modules can be reused.
    Case in point:
    I have a 2010 Chevy van someone tried to steal. They tore up the steering column pretty bad. We put a complete used steering column in it. The donor had it's own keys. I was not able to program the theft module with my I-Flash J2534. I called the mobile tech we use to do some of our programming. He advised me I would have to put a new theft module, ignition lock cylinder and new keys. I did and had him program it. All is well with the van.

I assumed I would be able to reprogram the donor. Had I known, I would have not bought the used steering column.

I would like to learn more about reprogramming in general. I have the equipment and I have programmed a handful of modules with success. I have turned away a lot more because I am gun shy.

Are there resources I can go to learn more? What are they?

Thanks,
    Robin
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

What part of the programming did you run stuck in ? Can't speak for sure about a used module or the I-flash but you should have been able to set up a new module and keys with a Pass Thru J2534 such as the Pass Thru Pro II. The programming and set up instructions are in Shop Key under Control Module Reference. The next best place to learn about others experiences with Flashing is right here on this forum.

Comment

• Robin
      • Oct 2014

I let myself get frustrated. At first when I logged into the GM sight, I could not get to vehicle setup. I worked on it for 2 hours! I think the sight was having problems (I think it said unavailable). The next morning I got on and picked the theft deterrent module programming. All seemed to be going well, but it would not program the theft module. I am going by memory and I was so frustrated, I let it get the best of me. Next time I will ask first.

Comment

• badcoupe
        • Jan 2011

The newer gm's with the global A systems, modules cannot be swapped between vehicles and if attempted will no longer function on the original vehicle.`Local dealer tried robbing a bcm from a new cad on the lot to fix a customers since a new wasn't available for over a week. They tried programming into customer car, didn't work. Went to put it back in the new unsold car and it no longer worked either, ended up costing service manager his job!

Comment

Working...