What do you use your pressure/vacuum transducer for?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFixIt
    • Jun 2008

What do you use your pressure/vacuum transducer for?

Hello All!
    I just purchased a pressure / vacuum transducer for my Vantage. I can measure a lot of things. I probably will have to make up an adapter kit to measure things. The ability to watch / measure over time gives it a lot of capability.

I was curious as to the things people use them for.

Thanks!
    Brit
    Last edited by MrFixIt; 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Well, I bought both of the pressure/vacuum transducers when I originally bought my MODIS years ago and have never used them for anything. I still have them, just have used other things instead of taking the time to adap[t them to each particular application. I will be curious to see what replies you get to this question as well....
    MasterWrench

Comment

• MrFixIt
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MasterWrench
      Well, I bought both of the pressure/vacuum transducers when I originally bought my MODIS years ago and have never used them for anything. I still have them, just have used other things instead of taking the time to adap[t them to each particular application. I will be curious to see what replies you get to this question as well....
      I think this is an issue. If there are not of adapters in the kit, it is time consuming to make them up. Maybe I will get some common fittings/adapters now.

I wonder how one would test things like backpressure.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MrFixIt
        I think this is an issue. If there are not of adapters in the kit, it is time consuming to make them up. Maybe I will get some common fittings/adapters now.

I wonder how one would test things like backpressure.
        With a backpressure test adapter!

You can get adapters for the O2 Sensor holes, or if you want to leave them in place they make a kit for drilling/tapping and plugging a hole in the exhaust.
        Either kind works well.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• jsoullier
          SDE Member
          • Oct 2006

I use all three transducers. I use the test port quick couplers common in aviation & ag hydraulics for quick access. Any hyd shop will have the fittings to adapt to any fitting you encounter. The quick couplers & test port ends are flat face, dry break style fittings so whether you are measuring liquid or gas, there is very little mess.

Jim

Comment

• MrFixIt
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jsoullier
            I use all three transducers. I use the test port quick couplers common in aviation & ag hydraulics for quick access. Any hyd shop will have the fittings to adapt to any fitting you encounter. The quick couplers & test port ends are flat face, dry break style fittings so whether you are measuring liquid or gas, there is very little mess.

Jim
            Hey, that's a great idea! I will look for those.

Comment

• Jeffrey Jake
              • May 2007

MrFixIt,
              Doesn't take too long, hydraulic fittings is a good recomendation.
              Attached Files

Comment

• MasterWrench
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jsoullier

Jim
                I am just getting more stubborn in my old age. I am going to quit buying things that do not work on their own without further investment in adapters etc. to get them to be able to be used.......They should come with an adapter set for the price they are....
                MasterWrench

Comment

• jsoullier
                  SDE Member
                  • Oct 2006

I am pretty stubborn too. My problem is that I work on everything,cars trucks, tractors, you name it. The faster I can diagnose, the faster I get paid.I work on a lot of hydraulic systems - from charge up through traction - these transducers are reasonably accurate & I look at the adapters & gear as I do any other diagnostic tool. How much money can I make with it, and how much time will it save me. Just my 2 cents
                  Jim

Comment

• MasterWrench
                    • Oct 2006

I use them for cars and light trucks only. I can just as easily hook up a fuel pressure gauge or set of ac gauges and get the job done just as fast. I guess it boils down to what you have easily accessible. If you work on all that you have the hydraulic couplers available, I have to hunt them down. I bought the transducers and I guess I should trade them in or use them, but it seems as though I've already got something available to do anything I have seen in this thread so far......
                    MasterWrench

Comment

• No-Start
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                      I bought the transducers and I guess I should trade them in or use them, but it seems as though I've already got something available to do anything I have seen in this thread so far......
                      You do?

Post #7 by Jeffrey has some pressure readings from inside a combustion chamber that you can't easily reproduce with any mechanical gauge. Try determining valve timing issues with a compression tester.

No-Start.

Comment

• Nick
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by No-Start
                        You do?

Post #7 by Jeffrey has some pressure readings from inside a combustion chamber that you can't easily reproduce with any mechanical gauge. Try determining valve timing issues with a compression tester.

No-Start.

Valve timing issues can be dtermined by pressure variations in the cylinder. A gauge and a good consistent test routine will do this. I have used a SO compression gauge to diagnose mechanical timing issues for a long time.
                        Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Jake
                          • May 2007

Hello,
                          Using a relative compression test leads to a mechanical issue of a single cylinder, multiple cylinder, or on a v engine configuration with overhead cams a possible bank timming issue. This is if the scan data is of no use. And the integrity of the starter is ok. Coupled with a sync probe on cyl. #1 and fuel disabled with out an ignition fault can be of value. And there are other variables that can affect the timming of your sync also depending what your working on. The learning curve is steap and just trying to learn how to skin the cat quicker. Any discussion on this would be appreciated.

I got burned on one with my mechanical gauge being off 5 psi. So I adapted my pressure transducer to my mechanical pressure gauge. It can be calibrated before every use. Don't have to fasten to out side of vehicle and have the ability to graph long time bases for when working on other vehicles and intermintants. It helped fix this intermintant in tank fuel pressure regulator. Again any discussion greatly appreciated

Comment

• No-Start
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Nick
                            Valve timing issues can be dtermined by pressure variations in the cylinder. A gauge and a good consistent test routine will do this. I have used a SO compression gauge to diagnose mechanical timing issues for a long time.
                            Valve timing issues can't be measured that way if the valve timing is consistently off for all the cylinders. Sometimes, the compression on valve timing issues is only off about 10-15 psi. You won't be able to notice a problem with just static compression alone.

No-Start.

Comment

• Nick
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by No-Start
                              Valve timing issues can't be measured that way if the valve timing is consistently off for all the cylinders. Sometimes, the compression on valve timing issues is only off about 10-15 psi. You won't be able to notice a problem with just static compression alone.

No-Start.
                              I use static and dynamic compression.
                              Last edited by Nick; 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM. Reason: sp
                              Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

Working...