Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Flashing Fords with the Verus

Well believe it or not I had a Ford Windstar come in yesterday with a P0171 and P0174 that still hadn’t had the upper intake and reflash done yet. My Laptop was tied up on another vehicle so after the mechanical work was done I got out the Verus and Pass-Thru-Pro II to do the programming. My version of FMP on the Verus was a few versions back so I fired up the program expecting it to Auto-update, it didn’t. Next I figured I would do it the old way, went to the Control panel, add/delete programs and deleted FMP from the Verus. I downloaded the newest version on the website and started the install, about 10 seconds into the install I got an error message stating that I still had an older version on my Verus. I checked both my C and D folders and even used MS search to look for any file with FMP in it. Three files came up, two with yesterdays date and a dll file dated 2006, so that’s a windows file. I got a hold of tech support that informed me this is a known problem. They had me edit the registry and in about two minutes the program started its install. After it was finished it told me that the 68.00 version I just downloaded wasn’t the newest version and 68.03 was available and it did the update as requested. I would post up how I was told to fix it BUT if the wrong file is deleted in the registry you will have major problems with the Verus. So the point is if you have an issue DON’T spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, call tech support it was fast painless and I can now flash Fords again on the Verus.

Steve
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

thanks for posting that Steve,I'm curious why the fmp program didn't update automatically or notify you there was a update from version 67.00 to 68.00. when i boot-up my ids if there are any updates a screen will pop-up and give the update version.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
      thanks for posting that Steve,I'm curious why the fmp program didn't update automatically or notify you there was a update from version 67.00 to 68.00. when i boot-up my ids if there are any updates a screen will pop-up and give the update version.

Hi Paul
      I don't know why it didn't update either, it wasn't 67.00 may have been as far back as 65.00 as I try not to tie up my scanners for flashing if possible. I was also working on a Honda so my Laptop was in use. As I stated there was a newer version then 68.00 and after tech support helped me out it did do the auto update from there. My PC did have 67.00 on it and it did the auto update. Anyway my Verus is now updated with the latest FMP version and ready to go, just gotta find a Ford that needs a reflash, shouldn't be too long!

Steve

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Just thought I'd give an update on the Ford programming. The other day a local body shop called with a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL that took a very hard hit. After they did the repair work they replaced the RCM module and needed it programmed. Wanting to see how this would work on the Verus I gave it a shot. Ford had a newer version of FMP and the update program now worked as it should. However there has been a problem right from the start, during the install it tells you it needs a file from the service pack 2 cd

20100924-1356-1.jpg

As per Snap-ons tech line there could be two types of files the program is looking for ...
        "If the installation program is looking for a .DLL file, browse to C:\Windows\system32"

"If the installation program is looking for a .SYS file, browse to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers"

Then select OK to have the installer search in the folder or the desired file.

20100924-1357-1.jpg

After that all was good!

20100924-1406-1.jpg

So now to the RCM module. Being the Body shop had already removed the RCM module and installed the new one I couldn't extract the info from the old one and had to program the module with "AS BUILT". I took a screen shot of all the modules that can be programmed on this vehicle with these tools.

Screen009EA799.jpg

And here is a screen shot of the AS BUILT number inputs.

Screen00AEA171.jpg

The whole process went well except that after programming I could not clear codes as this is a 2010 and my scanners only go up to 2009. Had a friend come down with his IDS to let me finish off the job. If any other issues come up I will add to this post.

Steve

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Nice work and good information. I wish I had the patience to do reflashing. I got the pass thru 1 but after doing a couple of Fords for PCM updates I got frustratred with what I could and couldn't do with different manufacturers and the different pricings and put it on the shelf where it stays. Just wondering why did you have to clear codes after with the new module ? Did you you have to flash any other modules to get them to recognize the new RCM ?

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
            Just wondering why did you have to clear codes after with the new module ? Did you you have to flash any other modules to get them to recognize the new RCM ?
            I had to clear no communication faults from the other modules, as the body shop drove the vehicle over with the unprogrammed RCM installed. No I didn't have to flash any other modules, all went pretty smooth. Well, except when I had all the AS BUILT numbers up from the Ford web site on the Shop Laptop screen and another tech closed it out for something else before I wrote them down or printed them

Steve

Comment

• Earl Davis
              • Jan 2009

I programmed A 2008 Ford Edge RCM today using the same method because the body shop had installed a new module and after the programming was complete I had code C1414. According to the service information this code indicates that one of the new parts are not correct. I will have to do some research to find out what the fix is for this one. Steve, thanks for sharing the information on programming this module.

Earl

Comment

• Rich Barton
                • Sep 2007

Airbag Blues

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                I programmed A 2008 Ford Edge RCM today using the same method because the body shop had installed a new module and after the programming was complete I had code C1414. According to the service information this code indicates that one of the new parts are not correct. I will have to do some research to find out what the fix is for this one. Steve, thanks for sharing the information on programming this module.

Earl
                Hi Earl,

Sounds like you have a bad or wrong module recheck part #
                Are you sure this module is new from ford and not from another car, off ebay or they sent the module off to a place to have crash data removed.

I have heard all the above before.

I have a question for you when you put the as built data in did it bring up the as built data screen on its owm or did you have to force it into as built data mode?

If you had to force it in as built data mode the module is used.

If it is the correct module and the as built data screen came up on its owm the I would do the passenger seat relearn procedure then clear codes and see what happens.

I have seen every thing done right but need the pasenger seat relean and then all is good.
                Rich Barton
                C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Rich Barton
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                  Just thought I'd give an update on the Ford programming. The other day a local body shop called with a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL that took a very hard hit. After they did the repair work they replaced the RCM module and needed it programmed. Wanting to see how this would work on the Verus I gave it a shot. Ford had a newer version of FMP and the update program now worked as it should. However there has been a problem right from the start, during the install it tells you it needs a file from the service pack 2 cd

[ATTACH]4147[/ATTACH]

As per Snap-ons tech line there could be two types of files the program is looking for ...
                  "If the installation program is looking for a .DLL file, browse to C:\Windows\system32"

"If the installation program is looking for a .SYS file, browse to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers"

Then select OK to have the installer search in the folder or the desired file.

[ATTACH]4148[/ATTACH]

After that all was good!

[ATTACH]4149[/ATTACH]

So now to the RCM module. Being the Body shop had already removed the RCM module and installed the new one I couldn't extract the info from the old one and had to program the module with "AS BUILT". I took a screen shot of all the modules that can be programmed on this vehicle with these tools.

[ATTACH]4150[/ATTACH]

And here is a screen shot of the AS BUILT number inputs.

[ATTACH]4151[/ATTACH]

The whole process went well except that after programming I could not clear codes as this is a 2010 and my scanners only go up to 2009. Had a friend come down with his IDS to let me finish off the job. If any other issues come up I will add to this post.

Steve
                  Hi Steve,

If you look in the drop down menu for module programing that you show in your capture you see the bottom line is as built if you go in there it should give you the as built data numbers for you.

Is this where you got the as built data or did you get it from the ford web site?

I just thought I would bring this up as sometimes this is quicker, but both ways work and not all cars offer the as built drop down menu in the programing list.

Good info
                  Rich Barton
                  C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Rich Barton
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Rich Barton
                    Hi Earl,

Sounds like you have a bad or wrong module recheck part #
                    Are you sure this module is new from ford and not from another car, off ebay or they sent the module off to a place to have crash data removed.

I have heard all the above before.

I have a question for you when you put the as built data in did it bring up the as built data screen on its owm or did you have to force it into as built data mode?

If you had to force it in as built data mode the module is used.

If it is the correct module and the as built data screen came up on its owm the I would do the passenger seat relearn procedure then clear codes and see what happens.

I have seen every thing done right but need the pasenger seat relean and then all is good.
                    Hi Earl,

I wanted to add one more thing to this you can try.

Go into the datalogger,or pid fault pids and see what it shows for that code.

There is a chance that a part is not correct and this would tell you what part to look at.

Here is an example: but with me using an Ford ids, this can be done in the verus as well just alittle different.

Sorry I dont have one on the verus handy.

This is me trying to find which seat belt tensioner is the problem.

here I high lighted the pid fault and then hit enter and the one that says fault is you problem shown at bottom of screen.

If no fault relates to a part and passenger seat relearn has been done, then I would be looking at the module.

I hope Steve dont think I derailed his post but this is all in learning.

Never Stop Learning.
                    Attached Files
                    Rich Barton
                    C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

I hope Steve dont think I derailed his post but this is all in learning.

Never Stop Learning.
                      Nah, you didn't derail anything. These forums are here so we all can learn and help each other out.

BUT sometimes I do hate you! Now I have to start saving for a IDS!

Steve

Comment

• Rich Barton
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                        Nah, you didn't derail anything. These forums are here so we all can learn and help each other out.

BUT sometimes I do hate you!

Steve
                        Easy Steve you are to old this will make your blood pressure go up

The ids dont really do much the verus dont anymore they are getting closer every day

I hear the ids is coming to the end of the road and a new Ford jbox tool is being released in 2011 kinda like the Toyota Techstream.

I hope you get caught up with your stuff so you can take a breath

Seeya
                        Rich Barton
                        C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Steve6911
                          • Feb 2007

Hi Steve,

If you look in the drop down menu for module programing that you show in your capture you see the bottom line is as built if you go in there it should give you the as built data numbers for you.

Is this where you got the as built data or did you get it from the ford web site?

I just thought I would bring this up as sometimes this is quicker, but both ways work and not all cars offer the as built drop down menu in the programing list.

Good info
                          Hi Rich

Sorry I missed this post, you know how us "old guys" get when our blood pressure is up!
                          Anyway I took the long way to get some info for someone, I did not go to the AS-BUILT on the drop down menu. Is that (that the numbers are present)on both the IDS and the J2534 site or just the IDS?

Thanks
                          Steve

Comment

• Earl Davis
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Earl Davis

Earl
                            The fix for the 08 Ford Edge was the front impact sensors were the wrong sensors. The body shop had installed side impact sensors in place of the front sensors. They look alike but the connectors are different,however, the tech was able to plug in the connector anyway. Once the correct front impact sensors were installed the light was reset with no further problems.

Thanks for the input Rich, and we used the Modis to do the test that you displayed of the IDS tool.

Earl

Comment

Working...