X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Learnasigo
    • Oct 2013

MT2400 On/Off Switch

Hi all.

New guy here and new to engine diagnostics software/hardware.

I see what looks like a complete MT2400 for sale locally. Ad says:

"Needs power switch". Seller says it doesn't show signs of life.

Is the switch a hard on/off or soft? (triggers other components to turn unit on). If the price is right, (less than $200) is it worth getting as a parts only unit?

I realize it's an unsupported piece of gear, but it may suit my needs (working on Vanagons, other older VW's). A local Vanagon mechanic swears by his and was kind enough to demonstrate his MT2400 to me.

TIA,

Neil.
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

You can score one on ebay for about $200, very clean one in fact. Would recommend a Vantage Pro though, those are getting quite cheap on ebay...seen many for $500 or so, plus it does alot more, updateable to current MY, and the screen is easier to see
    Last edited by Modis500; 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM.
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Skip
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2008

As much as I love the MT2400, I would pay little to nothing for one that didn't work. SO no longer supports them or sells parts.
      Last edited by Skip; 11-01-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Learnasigo
        • Oct 2013

Thanks guys.

I figured if it was only the switch (ha ha) I could easily fix that but who knows right?

Quickly searched eBay and only saw $1K+ (Buy Now) Vantage Pros. I'll keep an eye out thought.

Found the Vantage Pro pdf manual online. Interesting.

Neil.

Comment

• Skip
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2008

Nothing wrong with a good used 2400. Many folks bought them and hardly used them. Friend picked one up with a low amp probe and KV module for about $300.00. Make sure it is a least version 5. Version 7 was the best IMHO.

Comment

• Learnasigo
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Skip
            Nothing wrong with a good used 2400. Many folks bought them and hardly used them. Friend picked one up with a low amp probe and KV module for about $300.00. Make sure it is a least version 5. Version 7 was the best IMHO.
            Thanks Skip.

Being an amateur, who likely won't get past OBD2 and has a great deal to learn of scopes/graphs et al, the MT2400 would be just fine. But I'm aware they've gotten "long in the tooth". Then again, I'm not adverse to trying simple repairs on them. i.e. a broken switch. Most I've seen on eBay are less than $500 and some have the KV, which seems like a useful item. That and a narrow probe for backprobing.

Neil.

Comment

• Tec315
              • May 2020

Tec315

I have owned one for year’s worked fine yesterday tried to turn it on today and it will not turn on any thoughts.It is my go to diagnostic tool.When I bought it the dealer said it would be up dateably for ever. Good luck finding one if I can’t fix my tester I will be looking for one

Comment

Working...