Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joec44
    • Oct 2011

cost of update

Hi I am retired now but still play with cars at times I have a soles pro (13.4) AND A VANTAGE PRO (13,2)
    How much should I expect to spend on updates? I am thinking of just doing the V pro and sell the S pro
    PS I asked one SO rep and he said $1000 for the S pro only I will sell it first!
    Any help would be cool Joe
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

Pick your platform.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Joe, that sounds like the going rate for an update. Keep in mind that the Solus Pro is close to the end of its life. It won't be updated for much longer.
      Crusty may chime in here, as he is a BIG SP fan. I wouldn't argue with him on it either. It's a solid performer. If you don't update often, maybe it wound't be a bad investment for you. On the other hand, if it broke, it may not be supported for repairs much longer.
      Myself, if I wasn't earning a living at it, I'd look hard at the Ethos Pro. Comes with Euro, no personality keys, no troubleshooter, no Suretrack, but the same capabilities as the Solus Edge. I've had a couple of teacher friends retire recently and that's what I recommended they get.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Myself, if I wasn't earning a living at it, I'd look hard at the Ethos Pro. Comes with Euro, no personality keys, no troubleshooter, no Suretrack, but the same capabilities as the Solus Edge. I've had a couple of teacher friends retire recently and that's what I recommended they get.
        But does it retain OBD1 coverage for cars older than 1995 and can still use the old OBD 1 adapters from a non working MT2500 kit? I might be mistaken , but I Thought I heard something about free updates for 3 years are built into the purchase price??

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by joec44
          Hi I am retired now but still play with cars at times I have a soles pro (13.4) AND A VANTAGE PRO (13,2)
          How much should I expect to spend on updates? I am thinking of just doing the V pro and sell the S pro
          PS I asked one SO rep and he said $1000 for the S pro only I will sell it first!
          Any help would be cool Joe
          Since you're retired now, the probability of you needing a scan tool capable (very capable) of dealing with older vehicles is a bit less. You'll probably find yourself transitioning forward to a newer personal automobile, for all the reasons customers do. Reliability (hopefully) and fewer repairs required.

As Joe Rappa says, I'm a big fan of the Solus-PRO, but its days are numbered. If you were staying in the business I would recommend that you keep it, regardless of the "trade-in" value. It is a venerable piece of kit.

The Vantage-PRO on the other hand, is a universal tool. A scope is a scope. The Vantage-PRO does have guided connections and a vehicle and component data base but it isn't imperative as long as you can manipulate scope settings. It will still work on 2017 vehicles as it sits, when you need it.

Joe Rappa mentions the Ethos-pro and I havn't seen it. It used to be very limited and didn't have bi-directional command capability which was a big drawback but I think SO has improved on that. The Solus-Ultra is an older design and the Solus-Edge (??) is the newer version.

Take a look at the Solus-Edge and the Ethos-Pro for scan tools but keep the Vantage-PRO. Some of the newer "scopes" don't have the same versatility of the Vantage-Pro.
          HTH.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

If you figure you saved the $1000 update cost and immediately sold off the Solus Pro off and just bought a new Maxi Cyst Mini, what would you have for dealing with older OBD1 cars that are still around? Would you look to purchase a used MT2500 ? I would just keep them both if your Solus Pro software and hardware is working without glitch.
            Not sure if this cool setup is legit or not , probably you'll need to buy the correct entire scanner besides to get the X-431 software onto the phone , but if this guy provides x-431 software and if you don't need to get entire scan tool and all you need is the smart phone, the app, and the Bluetooth VCI, it seems like a economical alternative, Hate to have the wife's in coming calls interrupting and corrupting some procedure though , so maybe it's a dumber idea than it looks.

Last edited by Witsend; 02-28-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• rockp2
              • Nov 2016

I just had the 16.4 update done on my Vantage Pro several weeks ago for $439. When I bought it had 10.4 version as the latest update. From what I was told 16.4 will be the last update for the V-Pro. It takes me up thru 2015 autos.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

Wandered across this thread looking for something related. 17.4 is now available for the Vantage Pro. Rumor has it that this will be the last update for it though. Unconfirmed.

Comment

• tonyh72
                  • Mar 2015

I just asked my Snap-on man about that today. He called his Tech guy, and he confirmed that yes indeed, 17.4 is the final update for the Vantage Pro.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Wasn't 18.2 just released which would now make 17.4 unavailable for tool truck guys to get anymore 17.4 cards?

Comment

• tonyh72
                      • Mar 2015

I was just told by a Snap-on Diagnostics tech in the iATN forums that the Vantage Pro and Vantage Ultra 17.4 updates are part of the 18.2 ScanBay package. So, the update will remain available, at least until 18.4 comes out, I assume.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by tonyh72
                        I was just told by a Snap-on Diagnostics tech in the iATN forums that the Vantage Pro and Vantage Ultra 17.4 updates are part of the 18.2 ScanBay package. So, the update will remain available, at least until 18.4 comes out, I assume.
                        That is my understanding as well.

Sinice the 'Vantage' updates are only once a year (xx.4), the current 17.4 update is available for those units until 18.4 is released. So ya'll have another 6 months to get it!

8^)

Comment

• gfuchikami
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                          Wasn't 18.2 just released which would now make 17.4 unavailable for tool truck guys to get anymore 17.4 cards?
                          Since V-Pro updates were only released in the 4th quarter (15.4, 16.4, etc.) the 17.4 last update "may" still be available since there won't be an 18.4 release.

Comment

• GypsyR
                            • Jul 2017

My local rep explained it as when the new update came to him it over wrote and obliterated the previous version so that latest version was all he had.

Judge that as you will. If I were a rep you can bet I would have archived copies of every update from the first day I got access. But tool sales guys tend not to be too computer savvy like that. I bet all the updates back to where they first started exist. Somewhere. Every single one. Every year storage gets bigger and cheaper, there's no need nor point in deleting stuff like that to "make room" nor has there been for years.

Comment

• Tod7489
                              • Sep 2018

Ethos pro help

Hello, am thinking about buying a used ethos pro. It is 16.4. Is that updateable still. I can't find it. Also can I manipulate things like purge valves? It is a good unit? Thanks

Comment

Working...