Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colin 7890
    • Dec 2017

Vantage pro car power supply

Hi there just got a vantage pro but battery life is short and needs new one . But can I use the optional snap on fag lighter/battery cable while testing as will have more than one ground . Could this causes a problem with interface or risk damaging the unit. Thank Colin
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

It will work just fine. The plug will connect to the top of the scope, and it will tolerate car battery voltage without trouble.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Colin 7890
      • Dec 2017

Thanks for that it works plugged in a boost pack but think will just run it like this till get a new battery. Rather than of the battery of car I'm working on . As then there is no chance of interface. Thanks Colin

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Ground Looping

Originally posted by Colin 7890
        Thanks for that it works plugged in a boost pack but think will just run it like this till get a new battery. Rather than of the battery of car I'm working on . As then there is no chance of interface. Thanks Colin
        Just thought I'd step in here and mention if you connect to the vehicle battery with a Vantage Pro you have to consider that the scope ground is tied internally to the vehicle ground now. This will affect ohm meter testing as everything will now show continuity to ground. I learned this the hard way, spent over an hour tearing apart a harness looking for a short to ground which went away when i disconnected from the vehicle battery. This can also affect sensor tests using the voltmeter or lab scope. I'd recommend a battery pack or inverter/adapter combination. Hoe this helps.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

REALLY good to know, thanks!

Comment

• JamesO
            • Dec 2014

As mentioned you really do not want to power scopes or Voltmeters off the vehicle unless you happen to have a specially designed and expensive DC isolated power adapter.

The easiest thing to do is get a rechargeable 12 Volt battery pack like this one and Velcro it to the back of the meter.

I did something like this to a well know scan tool that did not have an internal battery and decided it was a PITA to have to power the unit from the car and have to power the unit down when removed from the car.

Comment

Working...