Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joec44
    • Oct 2011

battery charging

My vantage pro battery that I had rebuilt last year has a problem. When I put it the charging station the red and green led,s just blink back and forth. Does this mean that the battery is bad?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Yes. When the charger does the railroad crossing alternating lights it indicates there is a problem with the battery. If it was extremely dead, sometimes you can get it to charge by trying it several times. If it wasn't that dead, there is a problem with it.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Rappa; 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• joec44
      • Oct 2011

battery

Thankx Joe
      So now I get to spend moor $$$ OH what luck!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I understand. Both my Modis and Vantage Pro batteries are getting tired. Especially my Modis battery. I'm not eager to replace them, but they are both pretty old, so I've got no gripes. Funny thing is, when my Modis battery is bad it only runs the tool for a few minutes, if it all. When my VP battery is getting old it still works for about a half hour or so. It'll be totally dead before too long.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Sometimes, and not always, rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.
          Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat.
          Hooking a light bulb across them to bring them down again till the bulb is dim (but not completely out) and then charging them up to full charge again, leaving them on for another 6 or 12 hours (again low current flow at this point) and then cycling them down again with the light bulb and recharging them a third time, to full charge, and leaving them for another 6 to 12 hours to give them a true full charge and it might last another 6 months or year.
          It takes some effort to cycle them but sometimes you don't have to purchase another battery right away.
          HTH
          (the Crusty one...LOL)

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
            Sometimes, and not always, rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.
            Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat.
            Hooking a light bulb across them to bring them down again till the bulb is dim (but not completely out) and then charging them up to full charge again, leaving them on for another 6 or 12 hours (again low current flow at this point) and then cycling them down again with the light bulb and recharging them a third time, to full charge, and leaving them for another 6 to 12 hours to give them a true full charge and it might last another 6 months or year.
            It takes some effort to cycle them but sometimes you don't have to purchase another battery right away.
            HTH
            (the Crusty one...LOL)
            It's worth a try. It's even free.
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

Here's a tip that an old timer told me about.... Drain it completely and throw in the freezer for a day. Then let it thaw out for a day and charge it... Apparently it "removes" the memory effect. Don't know about that last part, but it does give you a little more life, worked on some 9.6V Makita batteries.
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
                Here's a tip that an old timer told me about.... Drain it completely and throw in the freezer for a day. Then let it thaw out for a day and charge it... Apparently it "removes" the memory effect. Don't know about that last part, but it does give you a little more life, worked on some 9.6V Makita batteries.
                That makes sense. The cold will continue to take the last bit of surface charge off it so it has a really good clean start for the charge cycle.
                Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• joec44
                  • Oct 2011

battery charging

I would like to post a update.
                  I did what Joe said and put the battery in and out of the charger several times and out of the blue it started to take a charge so all is well and thankx agen to Joe for the tip

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by joec44
                    I would like to post a update.
                    I did what Joe said and put the battery in and out of the charger several times and out of the blue it started to take a charge so all is well and thankx agen to Joe for the tip
                    Hey that's good news. It isn't completely pooched....
                    You may find it doesn't hold a charge or last very long.
                    I would suggest you give it a charge, cycle it down and charge it up again.
                    Good luck

Comment

• tambo
                      • Mar 2016

Battery charge.

Originally posted by Modis500
                      Modus thanks for your tip about sticking the battery in the freezer.
                      It worked a treat.
                      Awesome tip.
                      Thanks Tam.

Comment

• DanielArn
                        • Aug 2016

Hi....as per my knowledge rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat. Also hooking a light bulb across them to bring them down again till the bulb is dim and then charging them up to full charge again, leaving them on for another 6 or 12 hours and then cycling them down again with the light bulb and recharging them a third time, to full charge, and leaving them for another 6 to 12 hours to give them a true full charge and it might last another 6 months or year.

pcb assembly in china
                        Last edited by DanielArn; 09-13-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• viya0414
                          • Nov 2017

Hi....as per my knowledge rechargeable batteries can be brought back to some kind of service life buy cycling them through 3 or 4 DEEP CYCLE discharges and recharges.Charge them up as much as they'll take, and leave them for 6 or 12 hours still charging. If the voltage is up full there is usually very little current so therefore there isn't any heat.
                          PCB assembly services (cheap pcb assembly, ciucuit board assembly, PCBA)

Comment

• NealXu
                            • Dec 2017

Hi...i am a new user here. I will suggest drain it completely and throw in the freezer for a day. Then let it thaw out for a day and charge it. Apparently it removes"the memory effect. Don't know about that last part, but it does give you a little more life, worked on some 9.6V Makita batteries.

turnkey pcb assembly
                            Last edited by NealXu; 03-26-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...