Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

Do Vantage Pro and Solus Pro have a clock battery

Background - Former mechanic out of the business for 30+ years. I use a Vantage Pro and Solus Pro on my own cars. Both units are very rarely used (can be a few times in one year, or not for a year or two).

My Vantage Pro and Solus Pro batteries are nearing end of life. I would rather not buy new batteries for them. My worry is do those two tools have an internal battery that keeps date/time/whatever?

A few years ago my BK6000 borescope crapped out. I opened it up only to discover a tiny battery that kept time was dead. I replaced it with a larger battery and all is well.
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

If no one here is familiar with the internals regarding clock batteries, is there some service place that might know the answer?

Comment

• spinellib
      • Oct 2022

I don't own either the Solus nor Vantage, but I do have the old Modis.
      The Vantage Pro, like the Modis, is Windows CE based.

And I do know that when I got the bright idea to put a new internal battery (CR2032) in my Modis, it stopped keeping the current date/time. Other than that, it still functions normally.

So, yes, I suspect your Vantage Pro does indeed have a CR2032 inside.

Comment

• kvr901
        • May 2010

Thanks. I guess I will have to open them up and replace the original batteries before they are toast.

Comment

• spinellib
          • Oct 2022

In case you misunderstood my post, it wasn't until *after* I replaced the battery that the Modis stopped keeping date/time. I should've left it alone.

Also, you can carefully probe the internal battery (with the unit disassembled and off, of course) with a multimeter and check exactly the voltage left in it.

Comment

• kvr901
            • May 2010

I understood your previous post. Thanks

I bought my Vantage Pro and Solus Pro in 2010 or maybe earlier. My concern is that when the clock batteries fail the units will not work at all like happened with my BK6000 (dead screen). I had to open the BK6000, figure out what was wrong and replace the battery before it would work again.

If I can keep the Solus Pro and Vantage Pro working that will suit my needs for now. If not, I might buy a more current scanner like Autel or similar. (Only needed for one or two older cars 2007 and 2014).

Comment

• kvr901
              • May 2010

The Solus Pro CR2032 voltage was a bit low, so I replaced it. It reset the date to 01/01/80, but it appears to still work okay.

I opened the Vantage Pro removed the PC board looking for a battery, but couldn't find anything that looked like a battery. I put it back together and the time and date had not changed. Beats me.

Comment

• kvr901
                • May 2010

Using the clock time setting I was able to get the date to February 23, 1980. So even though it is 43 years behind at least the month and day are correct for any files I might create.

Comment

• 1ftingrave
                  • Dec 2023

Originally posted by spinellib
                  In case you misunderstood my post, it wasn't until *after* I replaced the battery that the Modis stopped keeping date/time. I should've left it alone.

Also, you can carefully probe the internal battery (with the unit disassembled and off, of course) with a multimeter and check exactly the voltage left in it.
                  I swap CMOS coin cells hot, Modis off , power pack live, this puts
                  standby power to the CMOS memory and coin swaps are painless.
                  same trick on PCs I DO/did for 40 years.

here is page how to fix MODIS fails or how to back up CF master.

Securely store, share, and access your important files and photos. Anytime, anywhere.

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by 1ftingrave
                    here is page how to fix MODIS fails or how to back up CF master.

https://drive.proton.me/urls/QE76XK05XW#M5ftehRhZ2JC
                    That link doesn't work for me. Got another?

Comment

Working...