Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • White87
    • Mar 2015

Printing from the MT2500 to a Seiko DPU-411 Thermal Printer

I'm relatively new to all of the capabilities of the MT2500, but I do know that according to the User's Guide, I should be able to print to a Seiko DPU-411. For some reason, I can't.

The Seiko that I have is a DPU-411-040.

I set the dip switches on the printer according to the MT2500 user's guide, and am using the correct -400 serial printer cable (included with my MT2500 Deluxe). When I send a freeze frame (HOLD) shot to the printer I get the following: PRINTER NOT RESPONDING. CHECK PRINTER. CHECK PRINTER PAPER.

The troubleshooting guide says that if the printer is ready, it usually indicates a cable problem.. I find it hard to believe the cable is bad because (believe it or not) this scanner and and all attachments are BRAND NEW! Yes, this was a great find. I'd just like to be able to print out data in addition to viewing.

Does anybody have any insight as to what this issue might be? The printer will run it's own self diags and prints test successfully.

I'm miffed....
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I know that on set up for to a Counselor 2 , to display the MT2500 You had to select the BAUD Rate for MT2500 to communicate, and I believe it was 4800 for MT2500.Good luck .

Comment

• White87
      • Mar 2015

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I've tried different baud rates and still come up with the same result.

Comment

• White87
        • Mar 2015

I just had a thought...my user's guide that came with the scanner is dated 01/92. The online user's guide I got the info from that said I can use a Seiko printer is dated 03/04. Is it possible that in order for me to be able to use the Seiko printer I need a domestic cartridge that takes me through the 2004 model year??? I'm thinking the printer drivers on on those cartridges since my 1997 cartridge only shows the MT1670 Scribe printer in Communication Settings. Whatta ya think?? Sound logical??? Make sense???
        Last edited by White87; 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

You could print with the MT2500 for years, so I don't think it is a driver problem. If your cable is good and the baud rate is correct the only thing left would be a bad printer. Those things were pretty tough but those electronics have to be 15 or more years old.
          Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• White87
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
            You could print with the MT2500 for years, so I don't think it is a driver problem. If your cable is good and the baud rate is correct the only thing left would be a bad printer. Those things were pretty tough but those electronics have to be 15 or more years old.
            Joe
            Thanks for the reply Joe. They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'd like to save a thousand words and illustrate my issue with pictures. The first shot is of the failure I'm encountering. Next are the pics of the printer (communication) configuration. Lastly is of the printer I am trying to print to, using my 1997 data cartridge.

If someone can provide a shot of an MT2500's communication configuration with at least a 2004 data cartridge, I would really like to see what the difference is...I have to believe there is a difference based on the difference in information provided between my User's Guide, and the 2004 User's Guide that states the Seiko's can be used. Here is also a link to the 2004 User's Guide, APPENDIX A (<--link) showing allowed printers, and the corresponding switch settings.

**Note: Trying the "OTHER" selections and changing the baud provides the same failure. **

1) FAILURE

2) COMMUNICATION CONFIGURATION

3) PRINTER

Comment

• BMW JEDI
              • Feb 2012

Wow, an old school non-backlit MT2500 - in beautiful condition!

Looks very nice and well kept

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

my cable that plugs into top of my MT 2500 has 6 contacts .

Comment

• White87
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
                  Wow, an old school non-backlit MT2500 - in beautiful condition!

Looks very nice and well kept
                  Thank you for noticing and for the compliment. I take a lot of pride in taking very good care of my tools and test equipment

Originally posted by Witsend
                  my cable that plugs into top of my MT 2500 has 6 contacts .
                  As does mine...it's an RJ11 jack. The cable is a Snap On RJ11 to RS232 printer cable (MT2500-400)

Still hoping someone can lead some insight into the software question I posted above.

Thanks!

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

I just had a thought...my user's guide that came with the scanner is dated 01/92. The online user's guide I got the info from that said I can use a Seiko printer is dated 03/04. Is it possible that in order for me to be able to use the Seiko printer I need a domestic cartridge that takes me through the 2004 model year??? I'm thinking the printer drivers on on those cartridges since my 1997 cartridge only shows the MT1670 Scribe printer in Communication Settings. Whatta ya think?? Sound logical??? Make sense???
                    Last edited by White87 : 04-10-2015 at 04:06 PM.
                    If you tried everything , maybe the Seiko printer wasn't supported yet in 92 .I think some of the early MT2500 had to get their PROM updated for one reason or another, whether it was to accommodate larger software cartridges, support newer technology.
                    Last edited by Witsend; 04-15-2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
                      • Jul 2012

Solved

I know it is old thread but just want to post this information on how I solved the problem of getting the DPU411 printer to work with MT2500 and MT2400.

1. There is internal rechargeable battery 4.8V 600mAh, if the battery is bad or can't be charged, the printer will not work. Battery is made out of 4 Nimh 1.2 AA type batteries. I used 4 energizer nimh 1.2v rechargeable batteries sold at Home Depot to make a working pack.

2. There are internal serial port jumper configuration, that must be set properly:
                      JP3 (open)
                      JP4 (bridged)
                      JP6 (bridged)
                      JP5 (open)
                      JP7 (open)
                      JP8 (open)

3. Original SII AC adapter must be used 6V 2000mA, it has reversed polarity where outside is a positive. It is easy to think you can just find one close to that, but it won't work.

4. On the MT2500 set it to 4800 baud with printer disconnected, once you set it to 4800 baud then connect the printer to the scanner then go about your printing.

Comment

Working...