If MT2500 is obsolete why are people still buying it in 2023?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snap-on_ULTRA
    • Jul 2012

If MT2500 is obsolete why are people still buying it in 2023?

I had a MT2500 brick back in the day and just because of nostalgic reasons I wanted to buy one just to play around. I do have original Solus with Legacy software emulation on it and can do everything that old MT2500 can do.
    Then I go on local Offer up and Facebook adds and people want $300 for a good example of MT2500, basically the same as Solus and Solus pro prices. Ebay is not better, some sellers want $300 just for programmable cartridges that were last updated in 2007. Global OBD2 cartridge that is last made in 2009 is going for $130. I expected MT2500 to be so obsolete that no one wanted it and was expecting to get one for cheap. I wonder why is this?
  • Tech_A
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
    I had a MT2500 brick back in the day and just because of nostalgic reasons I wanted to buy one just to play around. I do have original Solus with Legacy software emulation on it and can do everything that old MT2500 can do.
    Then I go on local Offer up and Facebook adds and people want $300 for a good example of MT2500, basically the same as Solus and Solus pro prices. Ebay is not better, some sellers want $300 just for programmable cartridges that were last updated in 2007. Global OBD2 cartridge that is last made in 2009 is going for $130. I expected MT2500 to be so obsolete that no one wanted it and was expecting to get one for cheap. I wonder why is this?
    I would assume it is for the nostalgia. I sold my mt2500 for a solus pro, 3 months later solus ultra was released.

Comment

• Skip
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2008

I wonder if anybody is actually buying anything at those prices.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

People still work on older cars. They also maybe not be educated on what some of the different options they have out there.

Despites its age, it's still very powerful in the $300 price range. Not alot scanners in that range that also do the ABS and OBD 1 stuff. Plus the value of the troubleshooter...

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
          • Jul 2012

People still work on older cars. They also maybe not be educated on what some of the different options they have out there.
          Despite its age, it's still very powerful in the $300 price range.
          I would agree with that. Just to prove the point in my original post, I attached the screen shot of one of them that just sold on ebay and wasn't even that good of a package, just few connectors and beat up cartridges that the seller did not even bother to list correctly.
          Attached Files

Comment

• 1ftingrave
            • Dec 2023

mt2500, sold used world wide.

well not too many home users will pop for $3000 scan tools.
            the MT2500 is legacy today, not sold new ! and OEM has no support pages.

The tool (for examples) supports my jeeps back to 1988 .
            The MT2500 is for OBD1 now, every body knows 1996 cars a modern dirt cheap, thus POPULAR.

any scan tool (even $25) can scan a 96+ car plenty good.or 98+canada car.

so the reason is
            for bidirectional, usage on OBD1.

ever seen a modern consumer grade tool do OBD1,my Actron can but now the adapters are not sold now used or new, I have the tool but zero adapters
            sold now and maker does not document the 15pin connectors names so I can't glow my own as I surely can.

The 2nd reason for say a 1996 car, the MT2500 for a whopping $100 can do bidirection scans, like doing the relay rattle test or injector sync.
            or does ABS or SRS, that only high end tools do.

the reasons are manifold
            it's cheap, sure is. !
            it does 1 thing I need to do.
            or it's the only OBD1 tool ever made that has adapters sold used now.
            for me all 3 is the answer
            I's sure there are more, but just be happy others like and and need it.
            I have 3 jeeps now.
            2008 , 2010\
            and my fun car, 1995 YJ, restoring it, now. It runs like new, but I am removing 30 years of hacks on my car. for sure wiring hacks. added A/C new. all new brake, every inch, new cooling system. U-joints, hubs. and lots more.
            I like the YJ, and all wranglers are hard to find, not pure Iron Oxide. now.
            My first jeep was 88, had 2, one xJ and the commanche then. new.
            Do not forget those EBAY ads are seem by 8billion persons on earth, what they want to do, is not my business, but is real, WYSIWYG. (They to buy a Scan tool new that does most lecacy cars)
            this scan tool can do 1980 -1/2 GM trucks. OBD1. no kidding can yours? and old fords EEC-iv .

Comment

• 1ftingrave
              • Dec 2023

Solus? cheap really?

Solus ?

you looking at BIDs"?" or buy it now.
              BIDs mean zero
              what maters is completed + paid ( I see only a few)

not many being sold (ebay huge listings)
              some are lucky bids, Low won I see 2.
              I see one for $1k bucks.
              now. buy it now.

most folks bidding on Ebay lose, they lose as they sleep
              others have higher bid (waiting in the ebay sniper tank)
              yes bid like mad, 1 hour before closed
              and still lose. ( the golden ebay days are gone)

Comment

• bigblockcutlass
                • Dec 2007

I still have mine and it's the best thing I've ever done I've had to refer back to that many times an older cars
                Solus Ultra 12.2 wiht Euro
                Solus 7.2 software with Euro.
                Mt-2500 2001 domestic

Comment

• hatzie
                  • May 2023

Recently I see a lot of rough looking red bricks up for sale piecemeal on eBay for a lot more than I paid for mine five years ago. Mine was reasonably complete unlike these.
                  I saw this kinda thing with the old Tech1 & Tech1A tools about ten years ago.
                  Looks like the locusts are looking for the next "vintage" computer hardware wave to ride.

Comment

Working...