Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Verus vs Volvo XC90

I had a 2018 Volvo XC90 come in today with a check engine light. First tried to hook up my Verus Edge but got a message saying I needed a different scan module ??? I didn't even know that there was a different one that would work with my Verus other than the S4. So hooked up my Apollo D9 and it communicated with the vehicle no problem. What is the Verus missing that it won't work with the Volvo ? Are there any other vehicles that the Verus will have this issue with and will the S7 pair with the Verus and then communicate with all the vehicles that I currently use the S4 with. Both my Verus Edge and my Apollo D9 have 21.2.

Next problem..... I cant find any definition for the code that was stored in the Volvo ?
    Attached Files
  • Rich Shepherd
    Snap-on D&I
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by greasybob
    I had a 2018 Volvo XC90 come in today with a check engine light. First tried to hook up my Verus Edge but got a message saying I needed a different scan module ??? I didn't even know that there was a different one that would work with my Verus other than the S4. So hooked up my Apollo D9 and it communicated with the vehicle no problem. What is the Verus missing that it won't work with the Volvo ? Are there any other vehicles that the Verus will have this issue with and will the S7 pair with the Verus and then communicate with all the vehicles that I currently use the S4 with. Both my Verus Edge and my Apollo D9 have 21.2.

Next problem..... I cant find any definition for the code that was stored in the Volvo ?
    Volvo started using an Ethernet comm system on the 2016 XC90 and rolled it into more cars going forward. Land Rover started in 2018.
    The Apollo D9 has the hardware built in to interface with these vehicles. It also comes with a scanner cable that supports Ethernet communication. The cable is designated DA-4E (E for Ethernet).
    Note for those with Apollo D8, Triton D8, Modis Edge, Solus Edge, Modis Ultra, a special adapter cable is needed for these vehicles. It is designated DA-4EA (EA for Ethernet Adapter) and has the Ethernet interface hardware molded into the cable.

Can you provide the ECU ID for the Engine system?

The Scan module you have for the Verus Edge does not support Ethernet systems so that is the reason for the message about needing an S7. It can be paired with Verus Edge and will communicate with previous vehicles and those with Ethernet systems.
    Last edited by Rich Shepherd; 08-11-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Here is the vehicle file from Altus from my Apollo D9. Lets see if this works. The vehicle is no longer here. I cleared the code. If it comes back so will the vehicle. I submitted the code to ShopKey help line but they could not decipher it either. I should have tried OBD generic.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
        Snap-on D&I
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by greasybob
        Here is the vehicle file from Altus from my Apollo D9. Lets see if this works. The vehicle is no longer here. I cleared the code. If it comes back so will the vehicle. I submitted the code to ShopKey help line but they could not decipher it either. I should have tried OBD generic.
        Thanks for that information. The VIN is helpful.
        I passed it along. If you run across something like this again, please get the ECU ID of the system in question if time allows and include it. Vehicles may have quite a few different versions and that information really helps identify the specific version that's present on the particular vehicle. Many times it is a must have or its a guessing game which one it may be.
        Based on what you had provided, I was told it looks like that code should be P04F000. The description is EVAP system high pressure purge line performance.
        An internet search found some information including this:

Thanks,
        Rich

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Thanks for the information and the effort you put into your reply.

Comment

Working...